This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Best Final Fantasy

If I am only to play one final fantasy or similar game. Which one should it be?

Comments

• edited November 2016
    Chrono Trigger
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • Mystic quest

/Troll answer
  • VI
    Second choice would be IV
  • I will always have a special place in my heart for VII since that was my first RPG despite growing up during a time when I could have played many others. If it didn't look like a platformer my kid brain wasn't interested. That said I don't think VII is easy to go back to. VI was the last one that I got close to beating as I went back to it several years after it was released. I still think IX is a good one too. I tried playing through VIII last year sometime and it's definitely crazy, but it's not that bad. In fact the craziness kinda makes it amusing.
  • VII, just because I liked the aesthetic, and sadly it was my first JRPG. Given that JRPGs are just different skins on the same kind of grind-fest, I don't know that it's very relevant to even consider gameplay, but I think IX hit a sweet spot in making the pointless grind bearable, and Grandia has the best advancement system in any JRPG I've played, as well as one of the most interesting magic systems.

Semi-related, for SRPGs or TRPGs or whatever Final Fantasy Tactics clones are called these days, Disgaea. Mostly because it's trivially easy to make extremely broken, overpowered characters with the right combination of grinding, planning and being effing unemployed. NIS basically said "if you want to waste time grinding, then go nuts because grinding is all we got. Have a level cap of 9999 and a port for your DS so you can grind on the go."
  • Daikun said:

Chrono Trigger

• edited November 2016
    Given that JRPGs are just different skins on the same kind of grind-fest
    This is why VI, IV, Chrono Trigger, Mother, etc. are so good. Best skin to grind ratios.

Kinda want to make an RPG with almost no grind and some ridiculously amazing skin.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • The long answer is that they all have very different characters, plots, and systems, so much so that it's difficult to know which one you're going to really latch on to. Most people tend to lean on VI or VII as the best one, but while VII was HUGE when it first came out, I don't think it has held up very well.

Quick Breakdown (I'm not using roman numerals anymore because screw that):
    -1, 4, and to a lesser extend 6 and 9 use more of the traditional JRPG systems of leveling up and managing equipment and magic. 1 didn't really age well, and 9 is really best appreciated once you already know the Final Fantasy tropes. As Rym said, 4 and 6 are your best bets.
    -2 had a weird Saga Frontier style leveling system, where you gained stats based on how often you performed actions associated with those stats in battle. It was kind of cumbersome, and I don't remember the plot being much to write home about.
    -3 and 5 used the Job System, much like FF Tactics. It's interesting enough once you get used to it, and I know people who swear by FF5.
    -7 and 8 tried some new things with magic and skills, and they only kind of succeeded. They are functional enough for what they are, but if you've played 4, 5, or 6, then it's going to be underwhelming. Plus the plots are overly convoluted and unnecessarily confusing.
    -10 is pretty serviceable, I really liked the sphere grid system. It's probably my favorite of the 'modern' FF games. But good god that voice acting. Good god.
    -11 and 14 are MMOs, so they are right out.
    -12 and 13 went in very different directions as far as battle systems go, and in some ways are barely recognizable as Final Fantasy games. 12 actually can be helpful to learn basic programming logic, as you set up your party to automatically react to events and actions in battle. 13 for a lot of it is barely a game and more of an interactive story where you take breaks to push buttons (even moreso than the others). And really MOST of the battle system in it is automated, and you do most of your work before battles begin, planning out your layouts. So these two games are thematically and tonally similar to the other games, but functionally are not so much. (Which might be fine if you aren't used to the previous games already).

I'm sure much of the above is contentious, and everyone has opinions that have been causing internet arguments for decades. But I wanted to at least try and break them down a bit; others will likely correct and add information about these anyway.

Long story short, play 6.
  • edited November 2016
    Apreche said:

Given that JRPGs are just different skins on the same kind of grind-fest

This is why VI, IV, Chrono Trigger, Mother, etc. are so good. Best skin to grind ratios.

Kinda want to make an RPG with almost no grind and some ridiculously amazing skin.
    I guess that's sort of what Undertale is to a certain extent. I think a lot of newer RPGs tend to be less aggressive on the grind. I got through most of Persona 4 without grinding. But at a certain point I had to start doing it which unfortunately made me stop playing. At the last boss no less. That game also took me like two years of on and off playing to even get to the last boss. That game is the epitome of the 80 hour game.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Serious question and not trying to be a troll:

Why does it seem like the JRPG genre has decreased in popularity so much? Final Fantasy 15 is coming out later this month and not that many people seem to care any more. On the other hand, Bioware releases a trailer for the new Mass Effect Andromeda game and everyone is super excited.

Is it because JRPGs have failed to adapt to changing technology and play styles of modern games? Is it because gamers' opinions have changed? Is it because of the rise of good quality Western RPGs? Is it because the average JRPG player is older and can't/doesn't want to devote hours and hours into grinding? But if that's the case, why will I happily play Mass Effect for 50+ hours, but won't do the same with a JRPG?

I'm honestly curious. The PS1/PS2 era seems to have been the hay-day of JRPGs, and since then, the genre seems to have been in a steady decline.
  • Most people played those games because of the incentive feedback loops and what basically amounted to addiction.

Modern games have far more sophisticated addiction loops.
  • I remember tearing up during the Opera Scene in Final Fantasy 6 at the time I had not experienced anything like it.
  • Rym said:

Most people played those games because of the incentive feedback loops and what basically amounted to addiction.

Modern games have far more sophisticated addiction loops.

Yeah, it was always weird when I was younger and kept trying to get really into these games. There were some I beat but most JRPGs I would play I'd get about halfway in and stop. I think when I was younger I just wanted to see the story and I would get so annoyed at the grind. Truth be told the first time I played through FF VII I actually mostly played it with a friend of mine at the time. We'd go through the story sections and big boss fights together, but he'd do all the grinding when I wasn't there. Maybe that was why I never got used to it.
  • edited November 2016

Serious question and not trying to be a troll:

Why does it seem like the JRPG genre has decreased in popularity so much?

Probably because Squeenix milked it too much. FFVII is basically a merch cow and a select few other games in the series (namely, the notoriously awful ones) are given pointless sequels. Only FF gets pushed while all other franchises (save for maybe Dragon Quest) gets the cold shoulder. The reputation of the JRPG seems irreparably damaged because of what they're doing.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • Cremlian said:

I remember tearing up during the Opera Scene in Final Fantasy 6 at the time I had not experienced anything like it.

Better opera scene: FFVI or Gundam Seed?
  • The Conan video I'm sure you've seen pretty much sums up why JRPGs aren't as big as they once were. Here it is, case you haven't.

Games like IV, VI, Chrono Trigger, etc. have stories and characters that are on the level of an all-time great fantasy anime or manga. If you just took FFVI and made a direct and accurate adaptation to a TV series or movie, it would be holy shit crazy good. Imagine how badass the ghost train and river poisoning episodes would be!

The newer ones are... uninspiring incomprehensible crap. You can't motivate someone to sit through a grind of random encounters to be rewarded with a boy band pushing a car through the desert.
  • Who the hell has time for a real time three day boss fight...
  • Apreche said:

The Conan video I'm sure you've seen pretty much sums up why JRPGs aren't as big as they once were. Here it is, case you haven't.

Games like IV, VI, Chrono Trigger, etc. have stories and characters that are on the level of an all-time great fantasy anime or manga. If you just took FFVI and made a direct and accurate adaptation to a TV series or movie, it would be holy shit crazy good. Imagine how badass the ghost train and river poisoning episodes would be!

The newer ones are... uninspiring incomprehensible crap. You can't motivate someone to sit through a grind of random encounters to be rewarded with a boy band pushing a car through the desert.

So, if newer RPGs are uninspiring incomprehensible crap, how did we get from Chrono Trigger and FF IV/VI to where we are now? And why does Square seem like it's incapable of making the changes necessary to reinvigorate the genre?

• Who the hell has time for a real time three day boss fight...

Remember the J in JRPG? Stands for Japan? The NEET and the Hikikomori are the target audience for these things.
  • Only tangentially related, but I don't really like Conan, he's kinda coarse and mean.
  • edited November 2016

Who the hell has time for a real time three day boss fight...

If you look in the comments and elsewhere it's a misconception, it's three in game days which is like an hour and a half or so. That's still pretty long, but I remember some bosses taking that long with some RPGs.
  • Naoza said:

Only tangentially related, but I don't really like Conan, he's kinda coarse and mean.

Me either, but his evaluation of that game is spot-on.
  • Apreche said:

The Conan video I'm sure you've seen pretty much sums up why JRPGs aren't as big as they once were. Here it is, case you haven't.

So, if newer RPGs are uninspiring incomprehensible crap, how did we get from Chrono Trigger and FF IV/VI to where we are now? And why does Square seem like it's incapable of making the changes necessary to reinvigorate the genre?

That's pretty simple really. All of the people who worked on those games are either retired or moved on to other companies. The company is perfectly capable of making great games, but the people in charge don't want to. They think their main draw is from spectacle and nostalgia, so they are going to keep going that way.
  • Apreche said:

That's pretty simple really. All of the people who worked on those games are either retired or moved on to other companies. The company is perfectly capable of making great games, but the people in charge don't want to. They think their main draw is from spectacle and nostalgia, so they are going to keep going that way.
    It sounds like a simple and correct explanation, but is it true?

Let's take a look at the credits, shall we?

All of the director(s) of Chrono Trigger and FFVI all still work for Squeenix.

The artists Akira Toriyama and Yoshitaka Amano are huge, but those games would still be legendary without them. Right? Plenty of other JRPGs without such legendary artists were still terrific. Or am I wrong? Do you need to hire the creator of Dragonball to make your JRPG good? Would Chrono Trigger suck if the art was slightly less good, but everything else was the same?

Nobuo Uematsu - He's not doing the music anymore. I think this is actually huge. The music is a lot of what made those old games so fantastic. With a sub-par soundtrack, those games are falling out of the S-rank of legendary status down to the A rank, at best. Not even Mega Man 2 or Super Metroid would be able to hold legendary status if their music was less good.

The creator of Dragonquest still works at Squeenix and still works on Dragonquest, although they have contributed to other games as well.

Sakaguchi, producer of FFVI and, no longer works for Squeenix. He left in 2004 to make games on his own. Is his departure the reason RPGs have sunk so low? Was his contribution really what made these games so great?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hironobu_Sakaguchi

Nope. He was executive producer of many non-great games. Games he has made on his own are not incredible either. If he was the source of JRPG goodness, his well is dry no matter where he works.

I blame technology. The JRPG exists as a genre because of the technological limitations of the consoles of the '80s and '90s. There were plenty of RPGs made in the USA and UK, but they were for PC. Those PCs were way more powerful than consoles, and thus the games were completely different. Instead of Chrono Trigger you got Old Scrolls, Ultima, all that garbage.

Once the consoles got more horsepower, they made FFVII. The introduction of 3d graphics wasn't a problem. just a visual style difference. The increased size of the game, spanning multiple CD-ROMs was actually great. The music was even better sounding, thanks to those CD-ROMs. But this was still the beginning of the end for the console JRPG.

Why? What was it? What is the villain that killed the genre? Those very same CD-ROMS and increase in tech also allowed one more thing to set foot in the door.

THE CUTSCENE

/thread

• But lots of other games both in the RPG genre and out of it use cutscenes. Why are JRPGs different?
  • edited November 2016
    I just think they never really evolved that much, and the ones that do are the popular ones. If you think Skyrim has some jenkyness, then go check out some of those early CRPGs. I think those games were insanely ambitious but the cost of making your own engines and getting them to work right was just too much. Modern programming and the inclusion of better designed game engines make those games a little more manageable to "get right". The simplicity of JRPGs make them a way more streamlined experience, which was better to play because of it. But these day's they're just not as innovative and tend to tread the same ground a lot.

Additionally, it was not possible to make something on the scale of a Baldur's Gate on a console back in the day, or if you could, how would you control it? Even though some games have solved that issue It wasn't until recently that anyone started to achieve that feat. It might have just been too difficult to invest in that type of thing. In the golden age of JRPGs I think most people who were looking for something like that only had access to what was available on the console. Now you can play Skyrim on Xbox and PS4 and whatnot.

At least that's my take on it.

EDIT: also I still think the music in modern JRPGs is still pretty decent, I tend not to care for the excessively detailed models they use now, and to a decent extent I think most VO for JRPGs is straight up garbage. And again, the mechanical systems of these games tend to have not changed much or at all for a large majority of these games, they're just kinda stale now.

Also beyond a couple shining examples I think there is always a bit of member berries going on with JRPGs.
  • MATATAT said:

I just think they never really evolved that much, and the ones that do are the popular ones. If you think Skyrim has some jenkyness, then go check out some of those early CRPGs. I think those games were insanely ambitious but the cost of making your own engines and getting them to work right was just too much. Modern programming and the inclusion of better designed game engines make those games a little more manageable to "get right". The simplicity of JRPGs make them a way more streamlined experience, which was better to play because of it. But these day's they're just not as innovative and tend to tread the same ground a lot.

Additionally, it was not possible to make something on the scale of a Baldur's Gate on a console back in the day, or if you could, how would you control it? Even though some games have solved that issue It wasn't until recently that anyone started to achieve that feat. It might have just been too difficult to invest in that type of thing. In the golden age of JRPGs I think most people who were looking for something like that only had access to what was available on the console. Now you can play Skyrim on Xbox and PS4 and whatnot.

At least that's my take on it.

EDIT: also I still think the music in modern JRPGs is still pretty decent, I tend not to care for the excessively detailed models they use now, and to a decent extent I think most VO for JRPGs is straight up garbage. And again, the mechanical systems of these games tend to have not changed much or at all for a large majority of these games, they're just kinda stale now.

Do you think the fact that PC gaming has never been that popular in Japan is a big contributor to this? I lived in Japan from 2004 to 2007, and while a lot may have changed in 10 or so years, back then, the PC gaming scene was almost non-existent. People played games either on consoles or on their phones.

• But lots of other games both in the RPG genre and out of it use cutscenes. Why are JRPGs different?

Because when you are just looking at some sprites and reading text with epic music, the power of your imagination makes everything awesome. When you make a cutscene suddenly there are so many more ways to fail.

It's easier to relate to a pixellated frog with a sword that has funny dialog you read than it is to relate to a fancy 3D frog with a sword that looks scary and has awful voice acting and animation.