This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What movie have you seen recently?

Comments

• I got bored after the first third and watched the rest at 2x speed with subtitles. It was the only way I could get through it.
  • Churba said:

sK0pe said:

Highlights - use of "classical" music.

Bonus fact about that - "Sabotage" (and Kirk's reaction to it) is a call back to his character introduction in the first movie.
    Yeah I recognised it immediately. I also loved it in the first film because i wasn't expecting it and it is also one of my favourite Beastie Boys songs.
  • Apreche said:

How could you have not seen Seven Samurai? Why are you watching any other movie first?

I didn't see it until a year ago. It is great film making, but I didn't particularly enjoy it.

• edited December 2016
    Apreche said:

I'm testing out a free trial of filmstruck. It's Netflix for good movies. Also, Hulu lost criterion, so all those movies and more are on filmstruck instead. It's not the best software, but you can't beat the content. Well see if I pay money when the free trial is over.

I just watched "The Testament of Dr. Mabuse" to test it out.

A masterpiece.

Curious if you've also seen the first film, Dr. Mabuse the Gambler! I haven't seen Testament yet and want to, but I saw the first one for a class on silent film a while back and it's very long but very engaging (not surprising considering it's Lang).

Really wish I could get FilmStruck, but like Hulu it seems to be region-locked to the US. Backwards licensing restrictions continue to ruin everything in the year 2016. >:( I know I could use a VPN to access, but would still need an American credit card to pay for it, which I am not willing to go through the hassle of figuring out and setting up (and shouldn't have to anyway).

On the plus side, Shudder just came to Canada recently, which I'm considering signing up for. A lot of the selection seems like low-grade crap, but horror is the one genre where low-grade crap can be fun to watch on a whim, so that might not be too bad. Plus it does have some really cool stuff on it like Belladonna of Sadness too.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Eryn said:

Apreche said:

I'm testing out a free trial of filmstruck. It's Netflix for good movies. Also, Hulu lost criterion, so all those movies and more are on filmstruck instead. It's not the best software, but you can't beat the content. Well see if I pay money when the free trial is over.

I just watched "The Testament of Dr. Mabuse" to test it out.

A masterpiece.

Curious if you've also seen the first film, Dr. Mabuse the Gambler! I haven't seen Testament yet and want to, but I saw the first one for a class on silent film a while back and it's very long but very engaging (not surprising considering it's Lang).

Really wish I could get FilmStruck, but like Hulu it seems to be region-locked to the US. Backwards licensing restrictions continue to ruin everything in the year 2016.
    I had not prior seen anything related to Dr. Mabuse, but I will now.
  • Apreche said:

I had not prior seen anything related to Dr. Mabuse, but I will now.

I believe there were three main ones that Lang directed, with the last one being The Thousand Eyes of Dr. Mabuse in the sixties. After that there were a bunch more by different directors. Haven't looked into any of them yet, might be a fun rabbit hole to go down someday.
  • Just saw Moana. Very enjoyable movie, though felt sped up toward the end.

I really like some of the updated physics. The way sand stuck to Moana's skin in that scene, and brushed off. The pearlescence in hair colour. Dark/ brown depending on the light angle. Looks very natural.

The coconuts were my favourite.

The Moonmen singer from Rick and Morty made a very conspicuous voice feature, which was odd to notice, but wasn't a negative.

This film is cool in a lot of ways, but feels like they could have done more. Perhaps having more emphasis in ambiguity between myth and reality, especially toward the end of the film leaning toward a reality.

When Moana returns, she should have been pleading to a suffering village why they must sail again. Convincing them of her discovery of the lush island and why she and it is their only hope of survival.
  • I wasn't really grabbed by Moana's hero journey, and would say I prefer Kubo's. But I don't have anything bad to say about the movie. On the positive, damn, it was gorgeous. I could watch that all day long.
  • Keanu
    Pretty hilarious movie, easy to guess some things (which I think the film makers knew) and not others. It's Key and Peele humour so if you like that, you will really like this else not.

The meta Hollywood film jokes were also pretty great, they were implicit vs explicit.
  • 80% of Moana consisted of visual effects. 65% of that was water effects.

Disney created a new animation toolset/engine for the water, appropriately named, Splash. Also the hair had its own program, Quicksilver.

The scenes with Te Ka, lava god, had 10 different layers because it was so involved to include the smoke, water, and lava effects.

Also Maui's tattoos where hand drawn.

The physics based graphics simulator used for the snowflakes in Frozen, called Matterhorn, was upgraded for Moana to also work on the mud, foam, and sand.

Overall I loved Moana based on many different aspects, but I enjoyed Kubo and Zootopia more overall. However: DAT MOANA SOUNDTRACK.
  • Yeh, Moana isn't Zootopia level enjoyable. Still enjoyable.
  • The amount of data needed for rendering that water was apparently immense. Petabytes of data if I remember hearing correctly.
  • Terminator 2.

You don't say?
  • Independence Day 2 was super, ultra-bad.

Terminator Genisys was just regular bad.
  • Starfox said:

Independence Day 2 was super, ultra-bad.

Is super ultra bad the good kind of bad, like Sharknado?
  • Well, I haven't seen Sharknado, but

No.
  • Creed was surprisingly much better than expected and was really good. Michael B. Jordan was excellent and even Sylvester Stallone was decent as the aging Rocky.
  • edited December 2016
    Jason Bourne
    So Matt Damon and Paul Greengrass realised they had money to make be reviving the Bourne movies.
    This movie tried to get all the best of the prior films but in doing so made a mess with an incredibly generic plot. Action scenes were great but not as great as the first 3, lacking in intensity.
    Don't recommend you watch it, watch the first 3.
    Post edited by sK0pe on
  • sK0pe said:

Jason Bourne

• Watch the first Bourne movie, and no more.
  • Dazzle369 said:

Watch the first Bourne movie, and no more.

2 and 3 were not bad and all 3 of the first ones were way better than the books. Everything else is bad.
  • Due to Netflix allowing downloads, I finally watched Django Unchained, this time on my phone on a flight across the Atlantic. It's really good! The acting was top notch (except for Tarantino's cameo) and the action a lot of fun.
  • Due to Netflix allowing downloads, I finally watched Django Unchained, this time on my phone on a flight across the Atlantic. It's really good! The acting was top notch (except for Tarantino's cameo) and the action a lot of fun.

Christoph Waltz, Sam L Jack, the music.

His cameo is so bad, I don't even remember it. Is he one of the idiot brothers at the beginning? Maybe one of the guys transporting Django to the mining company? Wow, unremarkable.
  • Naoza said:

Due to Netflix allowing downloads, I finally watched Django Unchained, this time on my phone on a flight across the Atlantic. It's really good! The acting was top notch (except for Tarantino's cameo) and the action a lot of fun.

His cameo is so bad, I don't even remember it. Is he one of the idiot brothers at the beginning? Maybe one of the guys transporting Django to the mining company? Wow, unremarkable.
    He pops up at the end, alongside John Jarrett, as one of the Australian Miners. It's not something you forget, so much as forcefully erase from your memory so you don't have to re-live that abysmal attempt at an accent he made.
  • Churba said:

Naoza said:

Due to Netflix allowing downloads, I finally watched Django Unchained, this time on my phone on a flight across the Atlantic. It's really good! The acting was top notch (except for Tarantino's cameo) and the action a lot of fun.

He pops up at the end, alongside John Jarrett, as one of the Australian Miners. It's not something you forget, so much as forcefully erase from your memory so you don't have to re-live that abysmal attempt at an accent he made.
    I just looked it up, I remember him now. As a Canadian, I don't have an ear for accents so it sounded fine to me until I listened to it with the knowledge it was bad, then it just sounded forced. I guess foreknowledge can mess with perception.

...I should like write a panel or a paper on that. Kinda important. Like makes a lot of sense when put to words.
  • I feel like every Tarantino cameo in his movies feels so forced and shitty. He can't act.
  • He's not meant to but it's become expected by his ego. Regardless the movie is still great.
  • I kind of like to see it as his parody of the awkward self inserts that you see. By making them so open and hamfisted he sort of make it part of the whole thing. I could totally see that being a thing he has done on purpose knowing how he is with things.