This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What TV Shows Are You Watching?

1868788899092»

Comments

• That Westworld finale, guys! Holy shit. Why don't we have a dedicated thread for this already?
  • Personally I rather would discuss such things after a season finishes. I don't really care for discussing shows episode by episode because I feel like it tends to ruin shows.

But in general, I have no interest in discussing the nuances of a particular TV show. I just like experiencing it.
  • I recently finished "Sweetness and Lightening", which a nice example of what Glass Reflection just named a 'dumpling show'. Makes you hungry, too.
  • MATATAT said:

Personally I rather would discuss such things after a season finishes. I don't really care for discussing shows episode by episode because I feel like it tends to ruin shows.

But in general, I have no interest in discussing the nuances of a particular TV show. I just like experiencing it.

I am at the point with some shows (Game of Thrones and Star Wars Rebels), where I look forward to reading the AV Club recaps more than watching the actual show.
  • I. Can't. Even.
  • Episode per episode provides far more hype and longevity to the show in the conscience of the public.

If you present the show as a binge watch and then discussion, you have to hope that everyone else has watched it and then discuss it for a short time followed by it being forgotten.

As far as Westworld goes it is definitely worth watching but is more action/opera than sci-fi.
    The "revelations" and twists aren't as "blow your mind" for me, in comparison to others.
  • edited December 2016
    For me I'm ready to watch WestWorld only now that it's finished the season. But it means I'll burn thru it over the week which is cool.

Can we have moar The Americans plz?

Post edited by SWATrous on
  • I'm halfway through the second season of Young Justice and it has been an amazing ride. Perhaps I speak too soon but I think this may be the best animated superhero cartoon I've seen. Though Season 3-4 of Justice League would be tough to top. But I can see why it got dropped. Season 2 was heavy on the serialized storytelling and got pretty dark, definitely not conducive to making kids want to buy their toys. I'm happy I didn't have to wait 3 years to hear its getting a third season.
  • The Expanse started off really good. Much better, I thought, than the book.

But at about episode 6 of 10 it loses its way, and ends really weak. Parts of the last section of the book were a bit dumb, but at least exciting. And in the TV show they left out the exciting parts of the dumb stuff, and totally flubbed the ending.
  • The Expanse started off really good. Much better, I thought, than the book.

But at about episode 6 of 10 it loses its way, and ends really weak. Parts of the last section of the book were a bit dumb, but at least exciting. And in the TV show they left out the exciting parts of the dumb stuff, and totally flubbed the ending.

I didn't read the books but the biggest concern I have with the show is that the characters, especially the male lead, are not very interesting. The detective and Indian ambassador are memorable but I cannot remember a notable moment for any of the main crew. It's both a writing and a performance problem imo.

The ending of the first season was interesting but it didn't make me anticipate what could happen next. Not enough hints on how this alien organism will change the universe of the show for me to care. That said, I'll probably tune to the second season.
  • I'm really enjoying Black Mirror. They're nicely self-contained and varied in their subject matter/theme.
  • I can't say enough good things about Black Mirror. But for some reason have a hard time convincing people to watch it. Personally I enjoyed every episode, just some more than others. If one is a bit down, surely the next one picks right back up.
  • Matt said:

I am at the point with some shows (Game of Thrones and Star Wars Rebels), where I look forward to reading the AV Club recaps more than watching the actual show.

You should definitely check out the recaps by chryswatchesgot (or TL;DW). They are usually hilarious.
  • Started to watch all of the West wing after catching a couple of clips on Youtube. Really enjoying it at the moment, I've heard good things about it so hope it holds up.

Starting to gird my loins to watch Westworld and the Expanse. Both seem like great shoes but will need me to pay attention.
  • edited December 2016
    The latest trailer for The Expanse Season 2 has me so hyped. I can definitely see pepole finding the ending of the first season lackluster, it ends in a strange place. A lot of the key events are pretty true to the original book: I think what was added for TV, and then having to end right where they did, wasn't as successful. Ending 2/3 into book one means a lot of the payoff is yet to come. It the downside to adapting books that some of the mystery isn't even discovered until book 2 or 3, much less answered.

But the battle on Eros station was fun, I think, so the ending still held up some payoff, so looking forward to next season to really see the afternath.

But for me it was all still pretty great. I'm in this for quasi realistic space combat, exploring the life and politics of living across the solar system, a fun crew, crazy space mysteries, and so on. Anything I get will still keep me coin back for more as long as the formula stays generally along the lines.

Oh and Westworld does look awesome. Enjoyable so far a few episodes in.
    Post edited by SWATrous on
  • Since my usual shows have been tapering off for the holiday, I watched the OA on Netflix. If you are capable of accepting that a story can be appreciated even when not believed, the show is mysterious, intense, multi-faceted, sometimes too real despite its absurdities, and yet dotted with some IMO hilarious moments. It's very much in the vein of Stranger Things, regarding pacing and overall genre. It has faults, but I enjoyed (and binged) the ride.
  • The Get Down
    Netflix Original
    Baz Luhrmann turns the birth of hip hop into a kung fu film as the background to a tale of romance. This is a hyper stylised version of the birth of hip hop but the main entities and events have been represented faithfully. MC Kool Herc and Grandmaster Flash were surprisingly authentic.

The multi-faceted story was an interesting coming of age story if you're not interested in anything hip hop history related. Each chapter is pretty great by itself.

Hip Hop Evolution
    A documentary series on Netflix where I just started watching on Christmas morning but ended up just binging the 6 episodes. An excellent compressed history of living legends.
    Seeing a present day Grandmaster Flash DJ'ing just on the spot to explain how he worked out how to transcend just playing records and seamlessly moving from disc to disc was pretty amazing.
    It also increased my respect for everyone who actually perform live with records and turntables vs the bullshit iPad DJs.
    Clearly explains how and why Gangsta Rap came to be prominent.
    This documentary is definitely worth watching whether you know all about the history of hip hop or more importantly know nothing of it.
  • So I've been watching West Wing and really enjoying it. One thing that really stood out to me, which I don't remember seeing, is the president casually smoking and it not being a big deal. Just a strange thing that stood out to me.
  • I finally finished up season 1 of The Expanse and I totally get what people were saying about the ending being kinda lame. I enjoyed the hell out of the first 9 episodes, but that season finale was painfully boring and a lot of it felt random, as if was written via that game where you hand a sheet of paper around the room and everyone adds their own sentence to it.