This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Monday - Building a Computer: End of 2016

Comments

• Well yeah, but that's also the case right now. It would at least protect your password en route to vanillaforums.com's servers.

Now that I think of it, how does FF handle certificate exceptions? Do you grant an exception to the cert, or the site? Feels like it should be the cert.
  • Starfox said:

Well yeah, but that's also the case right now. It would at least protect your password en route to vanillaforums.com's servers.

Now that I think of it, how does FF handle certificate exceptions? Do you grant an exception to the cert, or the site? Feels like it should be the cert.

I honestly have no idea. I hope it would be a cert/domain combination. You are allowing that specific cert on that specific domain.

Otherwise, you make an exception for a bad cert on one site, then someone uses that on other sites and gets ya!
  • Apreche said:

Starfox said:

Scott said:

Only log in on websites protected with SSL

Vanilla hosts this site, not me. We already pay $150/month. They want to charge more for SSL. There is no real security threat with anything on the forums. It's not a bank. What's someone going to do? Impersonate you and then we fix it later?

If you're stupid enough to use the same password for your bank as you do for this forum, god speed.
    Ballpark, how much more would vanilla charge for ssl?
  • Naoza said:

Apreche said:

Starfox said:

Scott said:

Vanilla hosts this site, not me. We already pay $150/month. They want to charge more for SSL. There is no real security threat with anything on the forums. It's not a bank. What's someone going to do? Impersonate you and then we fix it later?

If you're stupid enough to use the same password for your bank as you do for this forum, god speed.
    I negotiated the $150 price. The normal price for our level of service is $300. The next tier up has SSL and they advertise it as $600 per month.
  • Apreche said:

Naoza said:

Apreche said:

Starfox said:

Scott said:

I negotiated the $150 price. The normal price for our level of service is $300. The next tier up has SSL and they advertise it as $600 per month.
    Jesus H Cox. How did you haggle them down? And yeah, point well taken.
  • We haggled them down by the fact, among other things, that we were some of their biggest advocates in the early days. We even talked about them in a PAX panel.

In two parts because of ancient times when youtube videos were limited to 15m.
  • I am an M.2 away and a windows license before the new computer is 100% assembled.
  • I pulled the trigger.

I've ordered everything except the M.2 SSD and the Windows license. The 950 PRO is available, but the 960 PRO should be available again in a few days. It's also cheaper despite being faster and more reliable. ;)
  • I'd happily recommend the case I use to anyone who wants something simple looking, without 'gamer' adornments. Corsair Carbide Quiet.

http://www.corsair.com/en/carbide-series-quiet-400q-compact-mid-tower-case

I'm running it with liquid cooling from corsair, a 1080 and even the Republic of Gamers ASUS motherboard.

I'd just had a significant bonus at work when I was upgrading so figured what the hell and the RoG motherboard is a bit much but it's stable as they come and performs just great.

The whole system is quiet, tidy and performant.
  • That looks like a good case, but why did you pay a fortune for the ROG Mobo?
  • At this point anyone who didn't cash in on a holiday deal is probably better off waiting for Kaby Lake. The suggestions at a Jan-Fen 2017 release seem realistic and if it is $350 for the 7700k then its a no brainer over the 6700 fir even small gains. And 6700k seekers might find new sales dip to better than Black Friday numbers.

Being suited to stream 4k video via pc makes this specifically a big deal for me.
  • Apreche said:

That looks like a good case, but why did you pay a fortune for the ROG Mobo?

Simple answer, I didn't. It was on offer. I got it for about £10 more than the non RoG model. If you have to pay more than that, don't. It isn't worth it. But at £10 price difference I paid £10 for the aesthetics. It was shiny.
  • wryterra said:

Apreche said:

That looks like a good case, but why did you pay a fortune for the ROG Mobo?

Simple answer, I didn't. It was on offer. I got it for about £10 more than the non RoG model. If you have to pay more than that, don't. It isn't worth it. But at £10 price difference I paid £10 for the aesthetics. It was shiny.
    If you see a bargain like that again, let me know.
  • wryterra said:

I'd happily recommend the case I use to anyone who wants something simple looking, without 'gamer' adornments. Corsair Carbide Quiet.

http://www.corsair.com/en/carbide-series-quiet-400q-compact-mid-tower-case

I was very close to buying that, but went with a Silverstone RV05 instead. It's patented gimmick is a 90° vertical rotated motherboard with the IO on top of the case. The top is all vent, and the entire bottom of the case is two huge 180mm intake fans so it's aided by convection- how much that helps I don't know, but with Australian summers and no air conditioning I'll take what I can get. It fits an MSI 1080 and sure pumps a lot of air.

As an added bonus, I don't need need to painfully reach in behind my case to mess with cables anymore. Also it's pretty cheap.

http://www.silverstonetek.com/raven/products/index.php?model=rv05&area=en
  • This is the full final build of my new PC.

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=38372168

FWIW, I paid quite a bit less than that list implies, since I got pieces on sale.
  • What monitor and mouse do you use?
  • What monitor and mouse do you use?

I'm using the same ancient Dell ultrasharp 16:10 that I bought so long ago I can't even remember. It can not be purchased anymore. I don't plan to upgrade any time soon either.

Mouse wasn't upgraded either:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019OB663A/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That's also actually only my gaming keyboard. I don't type on that one. I have a das keyboard with Cherry MX blue switches for non-gaming typing.
  • Rym said:

This is the full final build of my new PC.

https://secure.newegg.com/WishList/PublicWishDetail.aspx?WishListNumber=38372168

FWIW, I paid quite a bit less than that list implies, since I got pieces on sale.

I see an SSD and a spinning disk. How do you decide what to put where? OS and steam on the SSD? Move old games to HAD when not playing or just delete and download again later?
  • Rym said:

That's also actually only my gaming keyboard. I don't type on that one. I have a das keyboard with Cherry MX blue switches for non-gaming typing.

I've been eyeing that CM Storm keyboard for a while myself. Are the Cherry MX Red switches so bad for regular typing that a second keyboard is warranted?
  • If you want a dedicated Gaming Keyboard the Logitech G13 is a pretty solid device.

After realizing my legacy cases had no mounting points for the 120mm liquid cooling fans, I had to get a new case. Ended up with a Corsair Carbide 400C, so far I'm liking the case. It's not overly big, but I can put my 1070 on it.

My old system's power supply, had a certain amount of future proofing so it has all of the connectors I need and then some.
  • I type on Blues and love it. At work, I type on Browns and they're OK...

Can't game on Blues though.
  • RymRym
    edited December 2016
    SSD1: OS, Windows folders, applications, most games
    SSD2: Some games where performance matters a lot, video editing/adobe scratch
    SPDs: media archives and static files
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Why not just call spinning disk drives HDDs?
  • In what way is an SSD not a hard drive?
  • edited December 2016
    Because HDD doesn't stand for Hard Drive. It stands for Hard Disk Drive.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Because HDD doesn't stand for Hard Drive. It stands for Hard Disk Drive.

Like a USB disk?

• Rym said:

I type on Blues and love it. At work, I type on Browns and they're OK...

Can't game on Blues though.

So would you say it's less a case of the Reds being bad for typing than it is a case of the Blues being awesome for typing? Or are you inferring, without having tried them, that the reds will be unusable for typing because the browns are merely OK for it?
  • Because I really like the look of those CM Storm keyboards, but I don't want two keyboards on one machine, and choosing a single Cherry MX variety is tricky.
  • The Reds are bad for typing. I'd rather type on chiclet keys than those things.