This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

"Metal" is the best thread title here.

1575859606163»

Comments

• edited December 2016
    Apreche said:

Those were dark times, the era of the nameless one. May we never again live such lives of savagery and despair.

Apreche said:

Who else here listens to Fallujah? If you don't, you should. The newest album is just fucking masterful.

When I went to see DTP, Fallujah was the opening band. I randomly saw some Netrunner friends there, and they were wearing Fallujah shirts. They thought Fallujah was headlining, not opening. They were right to think so because they were way too good to be an opener.
    Dude, fuck you, Fallujah and DTP on the same bill?

Seriously though, fuck you.
    That rent I pay in NYC. That's not just for my apartment. That buys things like this.

The other band that night was "Between the Buried and Me." I enjoyed their set live, but I didn't enjoy it as much when I listened to their album on Spotify.
    I love the way you put BtBaM in quotes, like many people in this thread have never heard of them. :smile:

I saw them with DT, except BtBaM was the headliner and DT opened. This was just after Devin started touring again, just after the release of Ki. Or maybe it was Addicted. Cynic and Scale the Summit were on that tour.

BtBaM used to be phenomenal in my eyes, but lately I've found that kind of rapidly-shifting disjointed prog to be a little irritating. The newest Fallujah release is way more my kind of prog jam - complex, but still coherent and pointed.

I still have to admit, though, that the transition from Alaska to Colors is staggering.

You might dig new Opeth and Enslaved if you dug any of those bands.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I put them in quotes for grammatical purposes. Otherwise the sentence would read as if the band was literally standing in front of me, and there are some tombstones behind them.

Who's on first?
  • Apreche said:

Who's on first?

Naturally

• Yeah I am sort of in the same boat, I was REALLY into BtBAM at a certain point, and I still think they're pretty good, but I've slowed down a lot on listening to them.
  • MATATAT said:

Yeah I am sort of in the same boat, I was REALLY into BtBAM at a certain point, and I still think they're pretty good, but I've slowed down a lot on listening to them.

I still put colors on every once in a while, but their newer stuff just lacks the staying power that colors has.
  • edited December 2016
    Heading to NYC this weekend: Tenggar Cavalry in Brooklyn Friday. Abbath on Sunday. Recover on Monday.
    Post edited by SWATrous on
  • MATATAT said:

Yeah I am sort of in the same boat, I was REALLY into BtBAM at a certain point, and I still think they're pretty good, but I've slowed down a lot on listening to them.

I still put colors on every once in a while, but their newer stuff just lacks the staying power that colors has.
    Colors is really good still. I still mostly go back to The Great Misdirect. I think that was maybe the pinnacle of their random sound changes but I think it works really well. Their newest album just makes me think of a Dream Theater knockoff. I really don't care for it much.
  • I was wicked into TGM when it was released, but these days I only listen to "Swim to the Moon," and even then pretty rarely. I'm pretty sure Colors is where BtBaM peaked for me, and honestly, it's a brilliant and still mostly-coherent album.

Is anyone actually into the new Dream Theater? I listened to The Astonishing, but I gotta say I don't recall it at all. Nothing stood out or seemed remarkable to me. Am I missing something, or are they just missing the mark these days?
  • I was wicked into TGM when it was released, but these days I only listen to "Swim to the Moon," and even then pretty rarely. I'm pretty sure Colors is where BtBaM peaked for me, and honestly, it's a brilliant and still mostly-coherent album.

Is anyone actually into the new Dream Theater? I listened to The Astonishing, but I gotta say I don't recall it at all. Nothing stood out or seemed remarkable to me. Am I missing something, or are they just missing the mark these days?

You mean two hours of piano and acoustic ballad theater with a storyline ripped off from 2112? Yeah, I couldn't get into it. I want them to use the whole band to write again, not just Petrucci and Rudess.
  • I have still never seen Gojira live, and I feel like I'm missing out because of that.
  • I have still never seen Gojira live, and I feel like I'm missing out because of that.

Can confirm.

Also, that stupid show is in Philly, and one-time only.