This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Our New Xenyx 1832FX Mixer

RymRym
edited December 2007 in GeekNights
http://www.flickr.com/photos/rym/2129536205/

I'm very happy with this thing. Expect some roundtables to be recorded as soon as we can get the people together. ^_^

Comments

• That's bad ass!

Do you have a pro-audio card for multi-track editing? My USB mixer still just creates one mixed track in audacity. I'd love to be able to have Skype and my mic come in on different tracks.
  • Ha, that thing must seem humongous sitting in the place of your tiny Eurorack ^_~
  • That's bad ass!

Do you have a pro-audio card for multi-track editing? My USB mixer still just creates one mixed track in audacity. I'd love to be able to have Skype and my mic come in on different tracks.
    That would require expensive software like Audition.
  • That's awesome. Rym can now live out his nobbish fantasies for the foreseeable future!
  • Neat. *stares in awe*

Can there truly be 14 microphones jammed into that thing as the numbers say? O.O
  • Do you have a pro-audio card for multi-track editing? My USB mixer still just creates one mixed track in audacity. I'd love to be able to have Skype and my mic come in on different tracks.
    My new digital IO card allows for four simultaneous channels (two in and two out). With the mixer's subgroupings, I could theoretically send another two as analog stereo tracks to the old soundblaster, and another two as stereo tracks to the Marantz.

I don't really need more than two tracks for 99% of what I do, though.

Can there truly be 14 microphones jammed into that thing as the numbers say? O.O
    There are only six mic preamps. I -could- use the remaining twelve (there are actually eighteen total inputs, not counting inserts) for mics, but it's very annoying to do so. (That's the main reason we upgraded to such a large mixer" more mic preamps). If I really needed more, I could use the old UB802 as a sub-mixer and get a few more.
  • *touches screen* Want...must have.

Being that I have no exp. with mixers it looks very overwhelming and scary.
  • edited December 2007
    too many buttons and nobs
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Wow that thing scares me 0_o;
  • My school has the same mixer for the whole sound system. I don't know if that's sad or awesome. ^^
  • I'm very happy with this thing. Expect some roundtables to be recorded as soon as we can get the people together. ^_^
    What would one have to do to be on one of these roundtables? ^_^
  • What would one have to do to be on one of these roundtables? ^_^
    Be awesome.
  • I feel sorry to pop the bubble Rym, but that's not the best thing to record a rock band.

It took me 4 years (college) and three mixers to notice that in order to record professionally you need something good.

With that said I shall show off my baby.

Click to see.

Well, it's not exactly mine yet since I'm still paying it off, but it's a must to run a recording studio.

Most of the things I have recorded have been orchestras though.

I love my mixer and all, but I still think I went overboard.
  • That has alot of knobbles. Rym would love that.
  • Man, I'll bet you could find a way to rig that thing up as a controller for Dwarf Fortress. It might almost have enough buttons and knobs.
  • The console has at least 640 knobs.
    Hm, you're right. It's probably not enough.
  • That would take an awful lot of customizing.

Let's see if I can do something like that.
    "640 knobs should be enough for everyone"
  • edited December 2007
    I have an older dual-slot pci sound card kicking around. Not sure who made it but it was very expensive when new. You want it?

Just looking at that mixer board tells me why audio engineers get paid the big bucks when they are good. With multi-touch displays now a reality (and expensive reality) how long before we see a multi-touch system being used to recreate a mixing board?
    Post edited by HMTKSteve on
  • I would post a pic, but I'm afraid Rym would fap to it.

Joking, I have no camera. XD
    "640 knobs should be enough for everyone"
    I need a Digg button here.
  • I have an older dual-slot pci sound card kicking around. Not sure who made it but it was very expensive when new. You want it?
    Rym would benefit from that.
  • So we just ran a bunch of tests with Skype and such. I think we might be the first people to successfully podcast and record skype with one computer, two sound cards, and a mixer. Expect more interviews and guests in the future and such. In fact, expect one very soon.
  • "640 knobs should be enough for everyone"
    You win the internet.

Congrats on the board it looks really nice. I will say that I do appreciate your attention to detail sound wise. I don't expect much from podcasts, but it's not hard to make listening painful. I've tried a couple new podcasts in the last month that I wanted to listen to but just couldn't take that harsh sound.

I run the mixing board at church, and really in enjoy it. I love it when people say "The service really sounded great today.". I can't play a instrument or sing, but I can listen and I know what sounds good. I'd like to do a podcast, I just haven't found the right topic/format yet. I'd really like an excuse to have some recording equipment around. My wife is a great vocalist, I guess that might be a good reason. Ew, do I have some kind of knob envy?