This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Weekend coding

1333435363739»

Comments

• edited December 2016
    sK0pe said:

okeefe said:

Day 11 is kicking my ass.

Yeah, I know the feeling, I still haven't done it because of a few other commitments, I was thinking a dynamic programming solution with a list of changes

Alternatively could also be reduced to a BFS or IDDLS however it's not working in my head clearly by approaching it in a newish language. Each adjacent edge would obviously be a logical possible move and each node a state for all 4 floors to be at.
    It's simple enough to code up a system that brute forces all possibilities. That works fine for the four item toy example but does not scale. So I tried A* search. A* requires a move heuristic, which isn't necessarily bad or hard. However, you pretty much need a state-equivalence heuristic as well because the branching factor is still too high. I don't have that heuristic, and it's going to be some work/refactoring to add it.

I think I'll work on day 12 and come back to 11 later.
    Post edited by okeefe on
  • I worked out the answer to #11 with a couple of guesses and some math and didn't even write a program, but I haven't got a proof of correctness as yet so it may yet be the case that my answer is not correct for all possible inputs.
  • I worked out the answer to #11 with a couple of guesses and some math and didn't even write a program, but I haven't got a proof of correctness as yet so it may yet be the case that my answer is not correct for all possible inputs.

I did the same. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's not correct.

I wasn't a fan of 11.
  • Started designing an experimental drum synth on paper today, will probably get specs finalized before diving on it. Intentions being set on iOS publishing.
  • I've fallen way behind on these what with finals at all. I'm hoping 11 won't be too bad because I'm more confidant in my math than my coding (thanks Project Euler).
  • I solved day 11 by using this clever state encoding and BFS. Consider it a spoiler.
  • Starfox said:

I worked out the answer to #11 with a couple of guesses and some math and didn't even write a program, but I haven't got a proof of correctness as yet so it may yet be the case that my answer is not correct for all possible inputs.

I did the same. In fact, I'm pretty sure it's not correct.

I wasn't a fan of 11.
    Yeah, I think I have a reasonable counter-example now, which means I was lucky that I got an "easy" input for Day 11.

I don't think that's an issue with the problem though, but rather an issue with only giving each person a single input case they need to handle.

Also, I do still suspect that the problem may well be solvable in the general case via a locally greedy algorithm without any kind of search; I'll have to spend a little bit more time on it to see if I can find one.
  • Finally got some free time at work to get back on this. Did 9.5 in a few minutes.

10 seems easy enough, but the actual instructions aren't entirely clear. Does the order the instructions appear in the input file matter at all? It seems like the input file simply describes the rules of the machine, and I can just build it and run it until I see the answer. Yes/no?
  • edited December 2016
    Apreche said:

Finally got some free time at work to get back on this. Did 9.5 in a few minutes.

10 seems easy enough, but the actual instructions aren't entirely clear. Does the order the instructions appear in the input file matter at all? It seems like the input file simply describes the rules of the machine, and I can just build it and run it until I see the answer. Yes/no?

I think you're right, order doesn't matter, I also haven't gotten mine working though so I might be wrong.
    9.5 is giving me trouble. I can get it working for the test files but when I try to run it on my input it never stops, might just let it run for a few hours. I see you did it with regex, probably a better solution than mine.
    Post edited by SuperPichu on
  • Order does not matter.
  • Apreche said:

Finally got some free time at work to get back on this. Did 9.5 in a few minutes.

I think you're right, order doesn't matter, I also haven't gotten mine working though so I might be wrong.
    9.5 is giving me trouble. I can get it working for the test files but when I try to run it on my input it never stops, might just let it run for a few hours. I see you did it with regex, probably a better solution than mine.
    Yeah, for 9.5 I just copy-pasta'd my 9.0 solution with two changes. First, obviously, I used recursion because that's what 9.5 is about. Second, I only returned and multiplied lengths rather than the actual decompressed strings because that's also what the problem was about. Still, I think if I did it on my home PC or a cloud VM I could have decompressed the entire string and run len() on it.
  • edited December 2016
    Apreche said:

Apreche said:

Yeah, for 9.5 I just copy-pasta'd my 9.0 solution with two changes. First, obviously, I used recursion because that's what 9.5 is about. Second, I only returned and multiplied lengths rather than the actual decompressed strings because that's also what the problem was about. Still, I think if I did it on my home PC or a cloud VM I could have decompressed the entire string and run len() on it.
    Yeah, I'm trying the latter. I didn't expect it to take that long on a 6700k with 16 gb of ram.

I have also made the conscious decision to say fuck day 11 and not do it.
    Post edited by SuperPichu on
  • Ok, I just finished day 10. I see why you are all bitching about day 11. Methinks the person making these is not so good at writing. As the problems increase in complexity, they are having a hard time explaining them clearly. I would not hire them to write the rules to any board game, that's for sure.

Still, if I could just fully understand the instructions to day 11 I feel like I could solve it just by using a pencil and paper because the input file is so small. It's like professor layton level. My input is actually incredibly simple for some reason.
  • Depending on your input, it might be easier to solve day 11 by hand. That worked for some people on the subreddit.

I hadn't thought any of the questions were unclear, until they had to make clarification edits for day 14.
  • Got started on this a little late, but am catching up. I'm DJ on the leaderboard.
  • Oh hey, they added private leaderboards. I made one for us, 111310-386fbb3e.
  • edited December 2016
    SuperPichu posted a leaderboard code a couple pages ago: 111686-e01a629f
    Post edited by Snickety-Snake on
  • I must have missed that post, anyways, I added myself.

I tried doing yesterday's solution with an iterative deepening DLS but retreated to the more familiar BFS. I still think if I go back to it and rewrite the algorithm looking for the min string length I could get it to work. I'm also almost sure that it requires less code than the BFS, however I can't just go on a hunch.

Doing these in Python kind of makes me appreciate how easy and necessary a scripting language is. Cryptography is so simple (concise?) in comparison to C.

The lack of a standard format is kind of weird so I'm not sure of what best practice is, I've just been reading in input via file opening rather than reading in from stdin which is what I usually do.

It took me maybe a day or two to get comfortable enough to ditch an IDE and get back to writing in a text editor.
  • edited December 2016
    Progress: Better dungeon generation and some work on grass and stuff
    Post edited by Andrew on