This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

"Metal" is the best thread title here.

Comments

• I just realize we forgot all about the stoner metal scene.
  • Everyone who posted in this thread needs to get the Dethalbum, Dethklok's new masterpiece.
  • I did, actually I got it one day before release.
  • My current favs (I won't include the classics):

1) Soilwork (freakin' love this band)
    2) Ra
    3) Ill Nino
    4) Spineshank (and Silent Civilian)
    5) In Flames
    6) Killswitch Engage
  • Listening The Dethalbum now. Really awesome.

As a follow up to my first post, here is a list of the metal bands I've been listening to.

Children of Bodom, Dragonforce, Hammerfall, Iron Maiden, Kamelot, Machinae Supremacy, Mastodon, Metallica, Rhapsody (of Fire), and Slayer.
  • edited October 2008
    Some of my favorites are:

Dream Theater
    Nile
    Trivium
    Pantera
    Avenged Sevenfold
    Slayer
    Killswitch Engage
    Suffocation
    Dimmu Borgir
    Unearth
    Skyfire
    Strapping Young Lad
    The Devin Towshend Band

and tons more, it would take me a while to list them all...
    Post edited by Loganator456 on
  • edited January 2008
    I like you, Zora. You have good taste in music. You should definitely check out Decapitated; they're a Polish technical death metal that's totally awesome.

Anyone a fan of Skinless? I ask largely because I live near Troy, New York, their place of origin.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited January 2008
    I'm going to say Black Sabbath with Ozzy. I've listened to those albums hundreds of times. They are very good as albums and it's a shame that only Iron Man, Paranoid, and recently NIB or War Pigs get playtime. I like some of the Sabbath with Ronnie James Dio but not much after that.

Judas Priest, 70's Judas Priest like Sad Wings of Destiny, Sin After Sin, and Hell Bent for Leather should not be overlooked. Actually now that I look back the early 80's stuff is good to at least up to Turbo.

Is Clutch metal? If not try it anyway they are awesome. On my iPod right now, under genre Metal, I have Mushroomhead, Saliva, Mudvayne, Danzig, Disturbed, Flaw, Priest, Sabbath, Metallica, and Iron Maiden.

If you have XM Radio or access to it the Bone Yard (41) is dialed in as far as 70's and 80's hard rock and heavy metal goes. Squizz is great for newer stuff.
    Post edited by am_dragon on
  • What are anyone's opinions on Edguy? They've come up a bit in my Pandora, and don't seem too bad.
  • I liked Edguy more the first time around, when they were called "Iron Maiden."

Actually, they're not that bad. They feel a little extraneous to me, though.
  • I like you, Zora. You have good taste in music. You should definitely check out Decapitated; they're a Polish technical death metal that's totally awesome.

Anyone a fan of Skinless? I ask largely because I live near Troy, New York, their place of origin.
    Thanks! Yes, I do listen to them occasionally. But it's a real shame that Vitek died.
  • I been listening to the master piece of 2007, Between the Buried and me's Colors, it's a 60 minute long song broken into 8 parts. It's made out of complete win!

Other bands I been listening to lately are.
    Children of Bodom.(Trashed Lost and Strungout.)
    Circle of Dead Children.(Bring her a mushroom cloud part 1.)
    Sikfuk.(masturbating in the slab.)
    Job For a Cowboy (Knee Deep.)
    Dream Theater (forsaken, in the presence of enemies.)
    Soilent Green (Sewn Mouth Secrets.)
    And Candlemass (At the Gallow End.)
  • edited January 2008
    How can nobody mention the greatest Eurovision Song Contest winners of all time... Lordi!

As you can tell, I'm not really a metal fan. Screaming into a microphone all sounds the same to me.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Also, as I had forgot to mention, Necrophagist is a pretty cool technical death metal band from Germany.
  • Dream Theater (forsaken, in the presence of enemies.)
    Dream Theater is amazing. Scenes From a Memory and Octavarium are so great.
  • edited January 2008
    I have a little bit of a beef with Dream Theater. They've got amazing musicians, but every song just sounds like an elaborate jam. It doesn't feel as tightened and perfected as most music I listen to. This makes sense, though, considering that they release new albums incredibly fast compared to other artists. But still, I just feel like if they take a little extra time to streamline their songs their music could be even better.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited January 2008
    Dream Theater Composes their songs at the same time they record them.
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • That explains everything.
  • Also, as I had forgot to mention, Necrophagist is a pretty cool technical death metal band from Germany.
    I <3 Necrophagist.

I don't know if "<3" us the appropriate reaction to have to a death metal band, but dammit, they're awesome.
  • edited January 2008
    Also, as I had forgot to mention, Necrophagist is a pretty cool technical death metal band from Germany.
    I <3 Necrophagist.

I don't know if "<3" us the appropriate reaction to have to a death metal band, but dammit, they're awesome.</p>
    lol
    Post edited by Loganator456 on
  • Dude, the new Machinae Supremacy album Overworld is great. Honestly, I was really disliked Redeemer. I'm glad they bounced back.
  • You can't kill the metal, the metal will live on!
  • Dude, the new Machinae Supremacy album Overworld is great. Honestly, I was really disliked Redeemer. I'm glad they bounced back.
    I loved Redeemer, but OMG I did not know Overworld was out! Downloading now!
  • I've been listening to the band Porcupine Tree a lot as of late. They are quite amazing. They're a bit like Tool in the way that they go all over the place, and play progressive music. Not all of their songs are metal, per say, but Wikipedia says they are. Here are the tracks Fear of a Blank Planet and Sleep Together . Hope you guys enjoy them.
  • I love those tracks, FoaBP is my favorite album from them.
  • New Children of Bodom. Album is due out in April.

• The Fall of Troy is fantastic. Most of you have probably heard the song F.C.P.R.E.M.I.X.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7734940588565801453

That's from their first album, Doppelgänger. I, personally, prefer their second album, Manipulator. Here are some songs.
  • Fall of Troy is more punk-prog than metal...
  • Eh, whatever. It's usually difficult for me to tell the genre of a lot of bands. What about Protest the Hero?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-141595593968072499
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=3758377186000173654

Wikipedia says they're metal.