This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

New Anime, oh noes

edited January 2008 in Anime
So my friend Karl and I just spent the evening watching a bunch of new anime. This ranged from "hmmm, this is slightly tolerable" to "ok, so on the count of three we both pull the trigger." So I'll now go through very briefly the pain we've just endured.

Rosario + Vampire
Ok, so there's a high school guy who gets into a school for monsters only. He meets a bubbly girl who's a vampire, she sucks his blood cause it smells good. Now this vampire chick, she's wearing an enormous cross that seals away most of her awesomeness, cause when it comes off her boobs get bigger (no joke) and she becomes the most powerful person in the world. But what this show is really about is panty shots! Panties everywhere! I've never seen so many panty shots, seriously it's got to be a record of some kind.

H2O footprints in the sand
Blind high/middle school guy surrounded by girls. But for such a show, the girls actually have realisticly long skirts, like they're actually below their knees. He manages to "accidentally" feel up two girls in the course of the first episode, one girl twice. And then there's this girl who claims to be a spirit who keeps ambushing him. And there's a this girl who's just angry at everything who, despite everyone telling him to leave her the fuck alone, the main character has to follow and generally pester with his niceness. So I really don't know where it's going, could be tolerable, I want to watch another episode.

Ikoku Irokoi Romantan
So this anime opens on a boat, there's mafia. If there's one thing I know about anime it's that Mafia + confined space = crazy blood sped. Only instead there's going to be a wedding, but the bride and groom passionately hate each other. The groom meets this italian dude before the wedding that tells him he's hot.......oooook. The wedding happens, bride and groom still hate each other. Bride kicks groom out who goes to bar to get drunk as most goes would. There's another guy who was in love of with the bride, sees the dude at the bar. He thinks to himself "oh, it's their wedding night and he's in the bar, things must be bad, I'm gonna go get with his wife!" Or at least that's what he should have done, what he actually thought is, "I'm going to walk over there and give him such a taunting!" So there's taunting and then a fight is about to start and italian dude shows up again to help the groom. Ummmm, then the fight happens and this is a point where there's a panty shot of the groom! I really should have hit close here, but I continued. They go back to the bar and start drinking, and then the italian guy starts making passes at the groom. They go back to italian guys room and then the yaoi starts.

The following is a dramatic reconstruction of the conversation between Karl and I when this show officially went yaoi

Me: OH GOD!
Karl: Ahhhh, turn it off!
Me: *tap the right arrow hoping this is a short scene and will be able to skip over it. The yaoi is the rest of the episode and what we actually get is a fast motion slide show of yaoi scenes!
Me: AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!
Karl: GEORGE, TURN IT OFF! TURN IT OFF!!!!!!
Me: I can't, ALT+F4 isn't working!
*I hit F to un-fullscreen and grab the mouse, fractically trying to find and hit the X. Never has it been so hard to close a window, but I finally killed it.
Karl: QUICK, DO SOMETHING MANLY!
Me: *I hand him the shotgun next to my bed and I grab my rifle.
Karl: Suicide? That's emo, not manly.
Me: No, let's go kill something.

Right, so don't download that one. And does anyone know a good linux program for secure file deletes? I next to erase all traces of this anime from my HD.

Koharubiyori
Otaku guy buys girl robot maid, only she just acts like a normal girl rather than a robot. Honestly we didn't watch it, we just flipped through it, seems pretty dumb. The only reason we even briefly watched this is cause it opened with a lingerie shot, which we needed after Ikoku Irokoi.

Kimi ga Nozomu Eien
There's a guy and girl and they seem to be in a relationship, I really see no plot, didn't watch more than a minute.

Armored Troops Votoms - Pailsen Files
The invasion of normandy, BUT WITH ROBOTS! MANLYNESS! This show could be good, but we were honestly too jaded to really read the subtitles.

Kodomo no Jikan
Lolis

Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro
demons and private eyes, yeah, just stupid.

Mokke
Two girls, and a lot of boring. We skipped right to the climax of the episode and said, "ok, you have two minutes to wow us, go!" and it fell on its face.

Macross Frontier
Only Macross can combine mechas, jets, and pop stars! If you're a fan of Macross stuff, this is decent.

So the only decent, and by that I mean tolerable and maybe slightly entertaining anime so far is the vampire chick's panties, the blind guy and his harem, robots and macross robots. I just want more Baccano. :(

Comments

• Did you watch these expecting anything nice or were you picking shows at random?

Why do I ask? Well, I seriously doubt any sane person would watch Kodomo no Jikan expecting anything but pain and terrible pedophilia.
  • I saw a bunch of episode 1's on animesuki and just started watching. *shivers* This is my ritual every season, it's never gone this badly before.
  • edited January 2008
    This is pretty dumb.
    Post edited by Reimu on
  • Ikoku Irokoi Romantan - thank you for telling me about it. I've been lookin' for good yaoi. So far I only have Boku no Sexual Harassment. =3
  • I don't care about any new anime until the Golgo 13 one comes out.
    edited January 2008
    *blinks* Kodome no Jikan started last year afaik. That's now new. It's even finished as far as I know. I wonder if Rym is watching it seeing as he was interested in the Nymphet novel/manga.

Perhaps you should modify your ritual. Check what's coming out with an air date calender and watch the trailers that come out. It'll save you from future Ikoku Irokoi Romantan anime.

If you hadn't said you just grabbed them by random, I'd say you went for "Badass" and "boobs" as search terms XD
    I don't care about any new anime until the Golgo 13 one comes out.
    When's that?
    Post edited by ... on
  • *blinks* Kodome no Jikan started last year afaik. That's now new. It's even finished as far as I know. I wonder if Rym is watching it seeing as he was interested in the Nymphet novel/manga.
    I guess there's a new season now, or something.
    Perhaps you should modify your ritual. Check what's coming out with anair date calenderand watch the trailers that come out. It'll save you from future Ikoku Irokoi Romantan anime.
    Well usually we MST the awful anime and have fun, but it was just too stupid this year.
  • @ Nineless: The Golgo 13 TV series has been announced for spring, but no specific date has been given. At least ANN says so.
  • @ Nineless: The Golgo 13 TV series has been announced for spring, but no specific date has been given. At leastANNsays so.
    Ah thanks. So late March, early April I think.
  • I think Persona trinity soul could be good and that airs next week.
  • Armored Troops Votoms - Pailsen Files
    The invasion of normandy, BUT WITH ROBOTS! MANLYNESS! This show could be good, but we were honestly too jaded to really read the subtitles.
    New Votoms!?! Holy crap!
  • edited January 2008
    @ Nineless: The Golgo 13 TV series has been announced for spring, but no specific date has been given. At leastANNsays so.
    Ah thanks. So late March, early April I think.
    I'm very interested in seeing this series. I haven't read the manga yet though.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • I'm surprised AWO hasn't posted a new episode devoted to just the sounds of them drooling over the Golgo 13 news.

And I haven't read the manga either, so I'd like to see this TV series as a way of telling me whether I'd actually like to read it or if it's just fun to hear about as a concept.
  • H2O footprints in the sand
    So I really don't know where it's going, could be tolerable, I want to watch another episode.
    1. How do you not know where this is going?
    2. Why would you even consider watching another episode?

This review of an entirely different show should convince you to stay away from shows with first episodes like that. They are all the same, and they are all crap.
  • Mokke's not bad. Okay, it is kind of boring. And most of the stories are basically fairy tales. And it definitely seems like it's supposed to be for little kids. But... uh... it's very relaxing? Also, it looks pretty sometimes.
  • The newest anime I've been watching is Mushi-Shi. And by "Anime" I mean "Manga". And by "Watching" I mean "Reading". And by "Reading" I mean "Wondering why people say this is good, because it is boring as balls".
  • The newest anime I've been watching is Mushi-Shi. And by "Anime" I mean "Manga". And by "Watching" I mean "Reading". And by "Reading" I mean "Wondering why people say this is good, because it is boring as balls".
    Mushishi is one of my favorite manga. It's not boring as much as it's different from most popular manga. It's really atmospheric, and there's no action or fighting or anything. It's just Ginko healing people, and it's really pretty. There's really no conflict. Ginko just knows what to do, and does it.
  • A story without conflict is just someone talking about their day.
    Pfft. Only if you have boring days.

That story about the surprise yaoi show reminded me of the time I downloaded episode 1 of this show I'd never heard of.

That show was Loveless.

Never again.
  • edited January 2008
    A story without conflict is just someone talking about their day.
    I should have phrased that better. There's no major, overarching conflict. There's no "let's go on a zany adventure to do x." Ginko's just a doctor, and he sorta just walks around doing stuff. I don't know why, but I just love the way the stories in Mushishi are told. Each one is entirely separate, yet the character on all of them feel so real. Some how the author manages to make me care about all of the people Ginko is saving within the fifty or so pages she dedicates to each story.
    Post edited by whatever on
    I should have phrased that better. There's no major, overarching conflict. There's no "let's go on a zany adventure to do x." Ginko's just a doctor, and he sorta just walks around doing stuff. I don't know why, but I just love the way the stories in Mushishi are told. Each one is entirely separate, yet the character on all of them feel so real. Some how the author manages to make me care about all of the people Ginko is saving within the fifty or so pages she dedicates to each story.
    Fair enough :)
    H2O footprints in the sand
    So I really don't know where it's going, could be tolerable, I want to watch another episode.
    1. How do you not know where this is going?
    2. Why would you even consider watching another episode?
    For some bizarre reason, I don't hate all school drama anime (just most of it). Every fiber of my anime watching being says it's crap, but I laugh.
  • I'm dying trying to read Mushi-Shi's manga 1. It's SO SLOW. Nothing happens. Dude goes to town, wins, leaves, repeat. It's not entertaining me at all.
  • Watched more anime last night, the night of "eh"

Persona - Trinity Soul
    I had high hopes for this show in that I had expectations at all. The show was pretty lack luster, kinda like a robot fighting show only they fight with what I can only guess are souls. On the one hand we have the police chief who goes around doing stuff and it's neat, but on the other hand we have his two younger brothers who do nothing at all. I feel less compelled to watch the next episode of this than I do Foot prints in the Sand.

Spice and Wolf
    So wolf, god, thing chooses a guy to help her get to the north. It's a odd pairing, traveling adventure show. While premise is eh, the story telling and pacing are actually very good and I liked the show. Doubt it's going to turn into anything spectacular, but we'll see.

True Tears
    The name says it all, I cryed at how slow things moved, will not watch.
  • edited January 2008
    Seriously, KGNE is a good relationship drama and lulz at you watching the OVA without having seen the original series or played the game.
    Spice and Wolf is also a fine series.
    Post edited by Reimu on
    edited January 2008
    Yay! Kino no Tabi - the Beautiful World: Byouki no Kuni -For You- (the second movie) finally got subbed! (I know it is not new, hell from April last year) It's just, like the other movie, a 'long' episode. Though this one is only 30 minutes whereas the first movie is an hour iirc. Anyways, once again a nice episode of Kino no Tabi, however. TOO MUCH CG! The Kino portrayed in this movie is a lot more reckless with Hermes, drives insane and has gray hair. And slide-steps over the ground in one scene where she's walking to a balcony. Looks very painful. Overall, one of the worst episodes of Kino no Tabi. I hope they fix the CGI, the hair colour and behavior if there's going to be another movie. If you have seen nothing of Kino no Tabi, don't try this as an impression on how the series and other movie are/is.

Also, I have watched Myself; Yourself. Got a message that it was fully subbed, thus downloaded and watched the first episode, and then just marathonned it. Best parts, rock concert in the opener (does not come up in the series at all, sadly), good opener song, fits very well with the anime, and the Wakatsuki twins. The story is about Sana who returns to his hometown after 5 years living in Tokyo. Through the episode he meets his old friends from before he moved away and they just pick up their friendship again. And then we, the watchers, just follow their daily lives.

Main character Sana (main male character) is meh. Hanaka (main female character) is also meh. Has a huuuuuge jealousy problem (cupsize tied with Asami). Aoi is stupid. She's good for cooking, nothing else. It's basically the only thing she does that has some effect in the episodes (biggest cupsize, highest voice, worst personality and oldest of the group of friends (only teacher is older)). Shuri/Syuri, awesome. Pretty central character. Female half of the Wakatsuki twins (smallest cupsize). Syusuke, awesome. Darned guy made me get tears in my eyes. But that was because it was a catching scene and he cried too! Male half of the Wakatsuki twins. Hinako, 10 year old girl that we meet because Syusuke 'saves' her from some bullies. Very fun character, claims she's a grown up, also acts that way. Is the source of two pedophile jokes with Sana as the victim. Has a lower voice than Aoi! Also, has no cupsize. Yuzuki, teacher, decent character. Supporting role, but has more depth than Aoi (cupsize tied I think with Hanaka and Asami). Asami, decent character personality wise, I however don't like her personality, and that gets worse at a point (cupsize tied with Hanaka and Yuzuki).

Now, you might wonder, why the fuck does he mention the relative cupsizes of these female characters? I have a theory. The bigger the cupsize the flatter the character is. It's a decent anime. Touching on a few moments, none which don't include the Wakatsuki twins. An anime for when you are bored and have absolutely nothing to do or watch. Yes, I know I have stuff unwatched already, but I just wanted to try the first episode, the darned concert in the opener lured me in, hoping it would be in one of the episodes, then I just sticked till the end, even though Hanaka's drama and Sana's drama is just blech. Darned emo's.

(NOTE: Do not read the Wikipedia article. It spoils a lot imo without warning. Also: "In an anime-original plot, ..." apparently it has an original plot twist for an anime)

Also prodded something Sayanora Sensei (Mr. Despair). Watched the first ep, like the teacher, DO NOT LIKE THE OTHER MAIN CHARACTER! Gah! Trying to make yourself taller. -_______- Stupid, dumb, flat, ditz, hyper, hopeless. She's all that from what I gather from the first episode. And there's a second season running. Damn it, teacher cool: "OMG I MUST DIE! *hangs self*" Mocking emo's. Female lead is just horrible and ruins the will to watch the teacher emo'ing.
    Post edited by ... on
  • Also prodded something Sayanora Sensei (Mr. Despair). Watched the first ep, like the teacher, DO NOT LIKE THE OTHER MAIN CHARACTER! Gah! Trying to make yourself taller.
    Kefka is awesome. The show is hilarious if you go in with the will to take everything at just below face value.
    The scene with the psychologist and Kimori is hilarious.
  • Kefka is awesome. The show is hilarious if you go in with the will to take everything at just below face value.
    The scene with the psychologist and Kimori is hilarious.
    I'll give it another try this weekend. I do think they've overdone the female lead though.
  • I'll give it another try this weekend. I do think they've overdone the female lead though.
    Well, she's the female lead, but just barely.
  • edited January 2008
    Check out "Bamboo Blade", while it seems like the ideal concept for some lame harem show (A guy must assemble an all girls kendo team) it totally wins at being awesome and uplifting with no noticeable moe elements.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • edited January 2008
    Yeah, she's not really a "lead," just the first you seem to meet. I find that show hilarious, when she called a trashcan a "treasure crest for the homeless" I nearly died. The show is a bit tiring to watch though as they have so many references and I have to read them all and the subtitles which move pretty fast all at the same time.
    Post edited by George Patches on