This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

IRC.

edited January 2008 in Everything Else
Simple question, trying to make a long nonsense story around it. (note: I know I will fail)

Anyways, as Rym and Scott have said on the show multiple times, they no longer use IRC. Now my question is, do you use IRC? And if you don't, why not? A good channel can give you great laughs. Bash.org is prove of the possibilities.

Comments

• IRC is sewer of the Internet.
  • Most of IRC is sewer of the Internet.
    Fixed. IRC is just like anything else. A random segment of the population reveals it to be garbage, but there are islands of intelligence and worthwhileness.
  • Fixed. IRC is just like anything else. A random segment of the population reveals it to be garbage, but there are islands of intelligence and worthwhileness.
    Nah. If there were, they would use something besides IRC.
  • Nah. If there were, they would use something besides IRC.
    Like AIM group chat?
  • Nah. If there were, they would use something besides IRC.
    Like AIM group chat?
    Like a forum, or Jabber.
  • Like a forum, or Jabber.
    A forum isn't direct. And jabber is like AIM, just an IM service/protocol.
  • Like a forum, or Jabber.
    While a forum is good for some things, and most of my friends that I actually talk to regularly are on mine, it lacks the feeling of immediacy that a chatroom has.
    And while Jabber's a great protocol, what exactly renders it any different than IRC in effect, other than the name? How is it better for a group chat?
  • I use IRC quite frequently to download fansubbed anime or for online Magic: The Gathering tournaments or for rules advice in that game which is quick and easy.
  • And while Jabber's a great protocol, what exactly renders it any different than IRC in effect, other than the name? How is it better for a group chat?
    The underlying technology is more flexible, and it is better from a user interface perspective. In IRC you have to deal with all that bs of ops, channels, etc. You wouldn't use a dial-up BBS nowadays would you, so why use IRC?
  • The underlying technology is more flexible, and it is better from a user interface perspective.
    How is it more flexable? From a user interface perspective, it's the same thing: Getting a group of people together to send messages as a group.
    In IRC you have to deal with all that bs of ops, channels, etc.
    It's not difficult at all. That's like saying that Notepad is easier because you don't have to deal with all that BS of regexps, etc.
    You wouldn't use a dial-up BBS nowadays would you, so why use IRC?
    Old != bad. BBSes were inefficient in obvious ways. Jabber may be better than IRC technologically, but it's not better enough for group chats.
  • edited January 2008
    IRC is useful if you want to find audiobooks but you don't really care what Audiobook you find and you want it pretty quickly (compared to Torrents which half of the time don't work)
    Post edited by Cremlian on

• It's not difficult at all. That's like saying that Notepad is easier because you don't have to deal with all that BS of regexps, etc.
    And if you just need to type a quick note, regexps are in fact useless BS for your purposes.

The whole idea of ops and channel control really doesn't need to exist anymore, and there's no point in learning about an environment that is patently obsolete. ;^) IRC will disappear entirely in the coming years.
  • IRC will disappear entirely in the coming years.
    If it does, it does. I'm not arguing that it's a permanent solution, just the easiest one that I see for what I want to do. I have no emotional attachment to it.
  • IRC is useful if you want to find audiobooks but you don't really care what Audiobook you find and you want it pretty quickly (compared to Torrents which half of the time don't work)
    What is up with these anti-torrent people? I have never had bittorrent fail to work properly.
  • The whole idea of ops and channel control really doesn't need to exist anymore
    Wait, how are ops any different from moderators or administrators?
    IRC is useful if you want to find audiobooks but you don't really care what Audiobook you find and you want it pretty quickly (compared to Torrents which half of the time don't work)
    What is up with these anti-torrent people? I have never had bittorrent fail to work properly.
    Eh yeah, how do half of your torrents don't work? Are you using a proper client? Have you set it up correctly? Are you not trying to use a torrent with 0 seeders? I can tell when a torrent might fail for me. Had one or two of those, but that's what you get when no torrents exist of the band you're downloading. As for audiobooks, the two I have downloaded have finished and I have listened to them.

Downloading through IRC is nice though. Guaranteed completion at a somewhat high speed (depending on bot and the stability of your connection), getting a downloading slot isn't that easy though. I can download entire animes with torrents in the time it takes me to download the first episode of said anime through IRC. I do note that one can find some things easier on IRC than on torrents. Even with meta search engines.
  • edited January 2008
    I'm not anti Torrent, I use it enough. Just IRC has been more dependable lately.
  • edited January 2008
    The only use I've had for IRC in years is the MythTV and Mplayer channels when I was setting up my MythTV box. I was able to get a quick answer, and some suggestions that could/would have taken days to get via a forum post. After that I uninstalled the client. A semi-monthly visit to Bash is plenty for me.

I know some distributed development groups, do have a use for IRC. It's not as a "chat" client so much as a collaboration tool. Until that is replaced with something like twitter, or an IM client that works well with groups IRC will stick around.
    Post edited by am_dragon on
  • I must admit I used many of the Linux-related IRC channels on freenode back in the day. I guess nowadays the help of Ubuntu and Gentoo forums, and Google, has made it no longer useful.
  • It's not difficult at all. That's like saying that Notepad is easier because you don't have to deal with all that BS of regexps, etc.
    IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
  • The last time I used IRC was for fun with a trivia bot back in 1998-99. It was multiplayer just before broadband was widespread enough to have good MMOs.
  • I used IRC back when I played Urban Dead but there was only a small group of people using that room. This lead to it been just like a forum but in real time, without any idiots.
  • I have used IRC on two occasions. I used the Ubuntu IRC once, and my friend set up an IRC server yesterday and I told him how useless and outdated it is.
  • I used IRC back when I played Urban Dead
    You played UD!? AWESOME! Brazhar, grab bra bagz! BARHAH!

Ah, I love the zambah community of UD. Don't play it anymore, check once a month to see if Kevan bothered doing something. There's snow now o.o. Anyways, the awesome people of UD left UD and are now playing Nexus War. I was on the Nexus War IRC server when I made this topic XD. And Yosho, don't quote Bash like that.

@ Sail, what did you tell him?
  • IRC is not going anywhere soon.
    A good X/DCC server is better than a good torrent, it's that simple.
  • @ Sail, what did you tell him?
    ...I told him how useless and outdated it is.
  • A good X/DCC server is better than a good torrent, it's that simple.
    How so? It requires more effort from the user for the same result. Also, it is much easier to search a site like Pirate bay than it is to go around to different IRC channels looking at different servers.
  • Depends on the speed you want to download. Normally it takes about 5 minutes to download an episode an episode from an IRC bot while a torrent can often take hours. Also, older torrents with a small amount of seeders can be very very slow. It took me about a week and a half to download the first 20 episodes of One Piece by torrent when I discovered the wonders of XDCC and that the same fansub group is running bots with the same episodes on it and I had the next 20 episodes within 2 hours.
  • Depends on the speed you want to download. Normally it takes about 5 minutes to download an episode an episode from an IRC bot while a torrent can often take hours. Also, older torrents with a small amount of seeders can be very very slow. It took me about a week and a half to download the first 20 episodes of One Piece by torrent when I discovered the wonders of XDCC and that the same fansub group is running bots with the same episodes on it and I had the next 20 episodes within 2 hours.
    What's your hurry?
  • edited January 2008
    Sometimes you need to download something quickly (I.E. about to go on a trip and want a new audio book, about to show your friends or your anime club a episode of something you deleted) If your trying to make an argument that "it's too fast" or "why do you need it that quickly" that's pretty ridiculous, Scott. You might as well tell people they don't need anything faster then a 56k. I mean what's your hurry?
  • Sometimes you need to download something quickly (I.E. about to go on a trip and want a new audio book, about to show your friends or your anime club a episode of something you deleted) If your trying to make an argument that "it's too fast" or "why do you need it that quickly" that's pretty ridiculous, Scott. You might as well tell people they don't need anything faster then a 56k. I mean what's your hurry?
    There is a case to be made for going faster. However, there is a point at which something is fast enough. With bittorrent I can download media faster than I can consume them. It takes less than 90 minutes to download a 90 minute movie. It takes way less than 60 minutes to download a 60 minute album. Going any faster would provide no benefit. If there was an episode you deleted that you want to show to others, why are you deleting things that you are going to want to watch again? If you're going on a trip, why are you downloading things at the last second? Since you can download things so quickly, you should have a mountain of unlistened audio books and unwatched episodes just sitting around on your drive.

Also, bittorrent would be faster if you people used it instead of using this other BS.