This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Monitor search

edited January 2008 in Technology
I am in the market for a new computer monitor. I want one that is around 19 - 22 inches in size. Right now, the Dell Ultrasharp is looking pretty good. However, I have heard that it is overpriced. Yet, I find nothing to match it's quality/ or preformance. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Dell Ultrasharp.
  • 22" Dell Ultrasharp Widescreen. ^_^
  • I've always been partial to Samsungs.
  • Question: What's so awesome about widescreens?
  • ^_^
    OMGs its not ^_~!!!
  • Question: What's so awesome about widescreens?
    They're wide.

Primarily, I can have status/persistent stuff on the screen along with my web browser, and I can open multiple terminals side-by-side at a reasonable size. I'd be equally happy with two standard monitors.

Of course, widescreens are also better for watching movies usually.
  • Can the Dell ultrasharps be rotated? Reading the whole of the forum front page at once appeals to me.
  • They're wide.

Primarily, I can have status/persistent stuff on the screen along with my web browser, and I can open multiple terminals side-by-side at a reasonable size. I'd be equally happy with two standard monitors.

Of course, widescreens are also better for watching movies usually.
    Meh, hardly imho. Less vertical space imho for the horizontal space you have. I love my 5:4 ratio :D
  • Less vertical space
    Vertical space is generally less useful than horizontal space in most cases, barring document review.
  • Cause that's how humans see.
  • Vertical space is generally less useful than horizontal space in most cases, barring document review.
    Cause that's how humans see.
    ITT, Nine's eyes are weird.

Anyways, I too like having a terminal be wide enough to fit long commands on one line, and yes if you watch a movie it's generally shot in widescreen, but, as you said Rym, vertical space is useful for document review. And is that not about 99% of the internet? I mean, here we have a forum where we read posts, where we review a document. I just find widescreens to be too squished. And widescreens with more vertical space to be too wide. Hehe.
  • I generally don't like my small widescreen laptop. 800 pixels vertically is too small. It has to be large if it's widescreen.
  • edited January 2008
    Yup, it still looks like the 22 inch Dell Ultrasharp Widescreen is the best choice. Funny thing, I am buying Rym's monitor, and Scott's surround sound. The Logitech Z-5500. Looks pretty awesome. Does it actually preform the 505 watts, like it says?
    Post edited by Zeehat on
  • Yup, it still looks like the 22 inch Dell Ultrasharp Widescreen is the best choice. Funny thing, I am buying Rym's monitor, and Scott's surround sound. The Logitech Z-5500. Looks pretty awesome. Does it actually preform the 505 watts, like it says?
    You do not want my surround sound system unless you are using it in a huge room. It is way too big. Trust me.
  • Does it actually preform the 505 watts, like it says?
    Why in the world do they make these things so powerful, I've got a 100 watt stereo and that's enough to totally decimate my hearing.
  • Why in the world do they make these things so powerful, I've got a 100 watt stereo and that's enough to totally decimate my hearing.
    The tiny amp we have in the living room is 10 watts, and it can easily get louder than it ever needs to be.
  • You do not want my surround sound system unless you are using it in a huge room. It is way too big. Trust me.
    ^_~
  • Looks like it's time to buy the monitor. I just noticed a sudden price drop, and free shipping.
    Link
  • Hmm... I think I will purchase this as well. My bonus is going to be coming in, so methinks it's time to splurge a bit. Plus the free shipping is good for a year.

I was comparing the monitor to a few Acer models, and the Dell seems to still be the better. Thanks for providing the link. ^^
  • Yep. However, the sale ends on the 17th.
  • edited January 2008
    Yep. However, the sale ends on the 17th.
    Well there goes that plan. Where did you see that it ends tomorrow?

Nevermind. I called customer service, and they informed me the sale ends tonight or early tomorrow. Hopefully they'll have a similar sale next week, if not, meh.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Can the Dell ultrasharps be rotated? Reading the whole of the forum front page at once appeals to me.
    Yes. The Ultrasharps come with the stands that rotate (90 degrees clockwise from the original horizontal position), tilt, swivel, and raise. I've got the 20" Ultrasharp Widescreen and am very happy with it.
    Yup, it still looks like the 22 inch Dell Ultrasharp Widescreen is the best choice. Funny thing, I am buying Rym's monitor, and Scott's surround sound. The Logitech Z-5500. Looks pretty awesome. Does it actually preform the 505 watts, like it says?
    You do not want my surround sound system unless you are using it in a huge room. It is way too big. Trust me.
    I can vouch for that. The subwoofer is gigantic; I spent quite a while trying to figure out where to put it. It currently sits beneath my desk, just beyond the range of my legs and feet. It's so large that I don't even like to use it as a footrest (too tall for my liking). If you live in an apartment or in a house with other people, you will find yourself never using the full potential of the system. If you do, you will ruin your hearing.
  • Well the monitor is still on sale. Whatever sales rep that told me over that phone that more than likely won't be repeated and that I should buy the monitor asap last week, can eat a dick.

Regardless, it's still on sale. I got paid with my bonus. The buying. ^_^
  • New monitor time. I play mostly CS:GO and Rocket League. I code quite a bit. I occasionally shop some things. I have a GTX 770, which supports 4k.

I see there is a 24" Ultrasharp 4k. Is that the best route still?
  • Well they just announced a 30" 4k OLED Ultrasharp for a measly $5000.
  • I need 1 monitor for films and gaming (high refresh rate, short response time, high pixel count), and 1 for photographic/ video editing/ CAD (high pixel count, minimum 99% Adobe RGB).

My current TV is good enough for films and games. So at the moment I need a good calibrated monitor. Will be a while before I can afford one.

24" is a good size monitor for a desktop.
  • Starfox said:

New monitor time. I play mostly CS:GO and Rocket League. I code quite a bit. I occasionally shop some things. I have a GTX 770, which supports 4k.

I see there is a 24" Ultrasharp 4k. Is that the best route still?

I'm not sure you're going to get 60fps 4k CS:GO or Rocket League from a GTX 770, possibly not even a 970. The only 4k gaming I've done is on machines with multiple graphics cards (but on more demanding engines than the Source engine, should be fine considering how well the engine scales).

The Dell P2415Q seems surprisingly well geared, I was expecting way higher refresh times and ghosting. There is also 1:1 pixel scaling for when you need to use the monitor in 1080p mode.

I would personally go for the 27" monitor (P2715Q) unless you want to buy 2 of the 24" or only have a use case for a single monitor. Pretty reasonable price too.

I was personally looking for a IPS 1440p high refresh rate monitor as I really like the weird smoothness produced. It seems the consumer has the choice of high refresh rate or high resolution.
  • I get 60fps 1920x1200 rocket league max settings with a 680.
  • Thanks, skope. I'm not worried about CS at 4k, 1080 is plenty of p's for that. Plus, I have another monitor, I don't need two of them :)