This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Doctor Who and Torchwood (now with spoilers!)

edited September 2007 in Everything Else

So besides me, who else have seen the last 3 series?

Comments

• I have do you like the latest season or the last one with Billie Piper?
  • Oh man, I loved all three series. And little by little I am trying to dig on the old series, it is rather hard and expensive. The 2005 series started to grow on me starting on " Father's  Day ", it had me on " The Parting of the Ways ". All of 2006 series was awesome and the seson finale was really powerful, I was sad to see Rose go but then I saw the Martha Jones, she was so different from Rose and yet so similar. She got me on the first episode because she was smart and not childlish like the way Rose was in the beginning. However, I will say that Rose didn't fell in love with the Doctor in the first episode like Martha did.
    I liked all of the season finales from the last three seasons. Also, if you listen clearly to " Song for Ten " you will get a glimpse of Doomsday plot and if you listen to " Love Don't Roam " you can also get some scenes from the last season finale :P
  • Ah yea I watched them. Great stuff. But being an English guy living just outside Cardiff it's kind of shoved down my throat. Did anyone catch Tourchwood?
  • One of my favorite shows.
  • I think the last season finale from Torchwood was pretty awesome. I seen pictures of Martha Jones on some promotional posters for the next season :P
  • Seen them all and loved them. Another great British show.
  • Seen them all, season 3 was very weak in terms of story up until the last 4 episodes. The second spin-off Sarah Jane Adventures starts next week here in the UK.
  • I seen pictures of Martha Jones on some promotional posters for the next season :P

It's going to be Kathrine Tate again isn't it? (Booo, hisss)
  • I seen pictures of Martha Jones on some promotional posters for the next season :P

It's going to be Kathrine Tate again isn't it? (Booo, hisss)
    Yeah Katherine Tate is going to be in it for the next season, but Martha is meant to be coming back for the second half of the season. As chronocross_xp said, Martha is also going to feature in a few episodes of Torchwood.

But yeah, the new Doctor Who has been awesome. I especially liked the last season (Season 3) that was just on. Brilliant!
  • Series One: It was alright
    Series Two: Some very memorable episodes, the ones that are pretty sad. "Girl in the Fireplace" is my overall favorite episode in the three current series.
    Series Three: The final episodes are pretty good when you understand some of the elements shown earlier in the season. It might feel tacked on when you haven't seen the earlier episodes.
  • I've enjoyed both Series One through Three of Doctor Who and Torchwood, looking forward to both coming back. I agree about Donna Noble returning as a regular companion not seeming like a good idea (her refusal to join the Doctor in the first place was satisfying for reasons having nothing to do with how annoying the character was), but I guess we'll see how it's handled. I am looking forward to (A) the fact that the Doctor will be having more than one companion for a period of time not just lasting two or three episodes, and (B) the fact that a companion will be returning after they've left for a while, as the former is something they should've brought back from the classic series sooner, and the latter is something I don't think they've really done up to this point (excluding things like "The Five Doctors" and "School Reunion," which don't really count).

Companions aside, any thoughts on what classic antagonist they'll be bringing back for Series 4's finale? My bet is currently on the Silurians / Sea Devils, purely based on how may previous appearances they've had.

I'm also trying to start watching what I can of the classic series -- in fact I recently saw "The Five Doctors", actually. I have to say, I never realized from still photographs how Ninth Doctor-ish the Fifth Doctor was.
  • My friend is a big fan of Doctor Who, and talked me into watching Series Three when it came on Sci-Fi channel, which I proceeded to do and became hooked. After Evolution of the Daleks, I started bittorrenting the rest of the series so I didin't have to wait. I've only seen a few episodes of Series Two though. And I can't wait for the second series of Torchwood.
  • I'm surprised Scrym didn't comment on this at all. Being geeks, I thought that this might've caught their interest in some way.
  • I think series two of Torchwood begins sometime the next couple weeks or so.
  • I'm surprised Scrym didn't comment on this at all. Being geeks, I thought that this might've caught their interest in some way.
    We don't watch TV.
  • We don't watch TV.
    And anime airs where? Just like with anime, Doctor Who is available on DVD.

Torchwood season 2 debuts in the UK on January 16th.
  • And anime airs where? Just like with anime, Doctor Who is available on DVD.
    Yes, and it's in the queue. Since I didn't see it on television, and I have other, more pressing things to watch on DVD, it's nowhere near the top of the list. I tend to see good television shows a couple of years after they come out.
  • I'm actually not sure if you guys will like Doctor Who. It's really campy. The end of season two was incredibly dramatic, but I suspect a lot of people give up prior to then. It's definitely an acquired taste.
  • If you want to get an idea of when I'll get to this show, consider this. I am just now watching the Galaxy Express 999 TV series which came out in 1978.
  • What's next, Space 1999?
  • What's next, Space 1999?
    I'm trying to watch everything Leiji Matsumoto ever directed, so maybe Yamato or Harlock is next.
  • I love Doctor Who but I do have some problems with it, mainly the episodes written by Davis tend to be the weaker ones and he is the main bloody writer. I think they should let Moffat write all the main ones, even if it would lead to many many nightmares across Britain on a Saturday night.
    Torchwood on the other hand is crap, it's just an excuse for Davis to have gay alien sex in a show.
  • I'm really on the fence about Torchwood. I agree that Davis seemed to have a gay agenda for the show. I just wish they'd write some good scripts without wrapping them around an agenda.
  • Davis seems to really love the campy aspects of the old show. Apart from a few episodes, there's very little real sci-fi. Sometimes it may as well be magic. They also need to learn that the original series killed off the Sonic Screwdriver for a reason.

That said, I really love David Tennant.
  • edited January 2008
    Davis seems to really love the campy aspects of the old show.
    Yeah he's a huge fan of the original Who and that's why he championed for its return. As a point of interest if you watch Davies' Channel 4 series Queer As Folk one of the main characters (Vince) is a huge Who fanatic, that aspect of the character is undoubtedly based on Davies himself.

I doubt if I'll watch many of the new Who episodes as I absolutely can't stand Catherine Tate, who'll be playing the new companion.
    Post edited by Unknown User on
    We don't watch TV.
    oh
  • GeoGeo
    edited January 2008
    I'm actually not sure if you guys will like Doctor Who. It's really campy. The end of season two was incredibly dramatic, but I suspect a lot of people give up prior to then. It's definitely an acquired taste.
    Well watch the really old stuff, they hardly have (if any) campiness. My suggestion, stick to the ones near the very beginning if you don't like campiness.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • And anime airs where? Just like with anime, Doctor Who is available on DVD.
    Yes, and it's in the queue. Since I didn't see it on television, and I have other, more pressing things to watch on DVD, it's nowhere near the top of the list. I tend to see good television shows a couple of years after they come out.

From my experience, once you get into the old Doctor Who serials you can really get engrossed into it because it has some really interesting story content and all kinds of other geeky and cool stuff.
  • edited January 2008
    if you watch Davies' Channel 4 series Queer As Folk one of the main characters (Vince) is a huge Who fanatic, that aspect of the character is undoubtedly based on Davies himself.
    Yes it was a good show, and in a totally unrelated note I just realised where I'd seen Mayor Carcetti from The Wire before. Didn't even know he wasn't American.
    Post edited by Paulathon on
  • edited January 2008
    I've also read a few of the novels, and have been pleasantly surprised.

For anyone who is interested in ordering books from Great Britain, I highly recommend Book Depository. They ship free of charge to just about anywhere in the world with no minimum purchase requirement. Their prices are usually below retail, so it's a really good deal.

Now if we could just get the dollar to be worth something...
    Post edited by Kilarney on