This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080121 - Keyboards

RymRym
edited January 2008 in Technology
Tonight on GeekNights, we discuss keyboards in what is clearly a cop-out episode. In the news: Macworld.

Scott's Thing - Robot Arm Challenge
Rym's Thing - Macworld Keynote in 60s

Comments

• I admit that at one time I bought into the Dvorak craziness. I had an IBM Model M so I could rearrange the letters and I painstakingly changed a dozen different Linux and Windows applications so they would recognise it. Then I discovered that Half-Life recognised my keyboard differently depending on whether I was in the game or in the menus, so it was impossible to do keybindings. That was the end of that.
  • On my macbook, I tend not to use the DVD drive to watch movies. I often rip the DVDs to my hard drive. This lets me leave my DVDs at home, and saves my battery life on the road. Also as far as time capsule, it is a network attached storage along with time capsule.
  • I watch DVD's on my PC occasionally. Mostly to grab screens for review, though.

My keyboard situation is I-Will-Type-On-What's-There

No real preference, just don't fucking split it.
  • Also as far as time capsule, it is a network attached storage along with time capsule.
    I couldn't find anywhere that said that.
  • edited January 2008
    I use the context menu key for the spell checking menu in a lot of programs.
    Also, (how) can capslock and ctrl be swapped?
    I can type well enough with one hand. That said, I can press A with my index finger and L with my little finger.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • I love springloaded keyboards! I too have a Model M. Not only is it nigh indestructable, but it can also double as a barbarian polearm and weight training set. :)

Also, hooray QWERTY! One more thing besides double-sided safety razors and their grandmas that is moderately old but still approved of by Scrym. :D
  • Look in the Apple Store, the device can be used as a Wireless Hardrive. Also, looks like it is a full blown router with USB connection for Printer sharing. Does not sound bad to me.

Cut directly from Apple Store:
    Time Capsule also works great as a wireless hard drive whether you have a Mac or PC. It sets up in a snap, giving you a networked hard drive you can use for storing and sharing any kinds of files.
  • Time Capsule also works great as a wireless hard drive whether you have a Mac or PC. It sets up in a snap, giving you a networked hard drive you can use for storing and sharing any kinds of files.
    I trusted Scott when he told me it only worked as a backup device. ^_~

• Time Capsule also works great as a wireless hard drive whether you have a Mac or PC. It sets up in a snap, giving you a networked hard drive you can use for storing and sharing any kinds of files.
    Ok, it does say that in the Apple Store. However, I didn't hear Steve Jobs say it, and I couldn't find mention of it at http://www.apple.com/timecapsule/. Even when Apple includes the right features, they seem to not understand which ones are actually important.

I'd be interested to see if non-macs can access this drive, what the security on it is, etc.
  • I only mentioned it so that you guys knew. You seemed interested. I think Steve Jobs purposely leaves out mentioning that many of Apple's products work with other operating systems. I find a lot of my Mac stuff plays well with Linux. If I end up buying this down the road, I will report back whether I can use it with my Linux machines.
  • edited January 2008
    This is my dream keyboard.
    The fixed link [Fixed, Sorry I guess I fucked up the code. Guess I need a refresher.]
    Oh how I wish I was not a poor college student. Well, this keyboard goes onto my list of dream computer components.
    Now all I have to do is wait until I hit the lottery that I do not play. Then I may be able to afford it.
    Post edited by Mosquitoboy on
    edited January 2008
    Also, (how) can capslock and ctrl be swapped?
    In Ubuntu Linux go System > Preference > Keyboard > Lay-out options > Ctrl Key Position. Just did it myself. I wonder how fast I'll get used to it.

Anyways, big delete keys = teh suck. And Up-side down reversed L Enter key = win. I hate it when I am on a keyboard with a small bar Enter key. THE PIPE CHARACTER IS LIKE ANY OTHER KEY! No f'ing reason to make it bigger and special. Just like the delete key, no reason to make it bigger than any other keys. The only keys that should be bigger are those which are used a lot in any program, like Enter and Space, and those which are 'out of reach' like the Shift keys and Backspace.

That, and I took lessons in typing on a typewriter. I still want a Das Keyboard to fine tune my typing skills. But anyways, through that I've been taught to type with my fingers on the home row, ASDF JKL: (that took too long too type. Muscle memory wanted to type the alphabet after the J). Though sometimes I put my left pinky on the left Shift key instead of on the A key since I pretty much know what I'm going to type two or three words from now. A thus when I need to type an A or need to hit the Shift key. This however has resulted into something very weird, I actually just noticed this. Whenever I type an upper case A, I type it by holding the left Shift with my pinky and then using my ring finger (the one between the middle finger and pinky, what's it called?) to hit the A key. This will probably hinder me in adapting to the CAPS LOCK = Ctrl since my pinky is already near the left Ctrl key. And since I use Irssi now a lot for IRC I use Shift+Ctrl+V to paste stuff in channels. So I have already unconsciously adopted Ctrl+Shift+V above Ctrl+V, and screw up once in a while when not on IRC.
    (Paragraphing for readability ftw)
    Basically I my left hand is slightly turned left whenever I'm typing. The same goes for my right hand. That way my right pinky can hit Backspace very easy and fast and this also causes my extensive use of the top part of the inversed up-side-down L-shaped Enter key. Perhaps I should put the Escape key under CAPS LOCK. Now I also realize that I NEVER use the right Shift key. I have been taught to use the left Shift key to type capital letters I type with my right hand, and the right Shift key for capital letters typed with my left hand. But I can move two fingers on one hand! And my ring finger catches Q, A and Z which one normally types with the right Shift and then the left pinky.

As for the numpad. Great thing, I now want to learn 10... what's it called again? And I need to clean my keyboard again. Crappy, crappy ultra cheap ancient keyboard. The only thing I see replacing this keyboard is an Optimus Maximus though. And those are just waaaaay too expensive so I don't think it will be replaced any time soon.

I submit to you, forumgoers, take a good hard look at how you type. And tell us any weird things you discover. Perhaps you discover strange things like I just did.

EDIT:
    This is my dream keyboard.
    http://www.5min.com/Video/Get-to-Know-the-Optimus-Maximus-Keyboard-4234946
    Oh how I wish I was not a poor college student. Well, this keyboard goes onto my list of dream computer components.
    Now all I have to do is wait until I hit the lottery that I do not play. Then I may be able to afford it.
    You are EVIL! I middle clicked half a dozen of times on that link!
    Nine: *click, nothing happens* Huh? *double checks mouse position, clicks again, nothing happens, clicks again, nothing happens, CLICKS THREE MORE TIMES VERY RAPIDLY, nothing happens.* What the. *checks information bar at the left bottom of Firefox on hover over* Great. *copy paste*

And yes, Optimus Maximus = Godlike, or well almost. I'd probably have it just change colours constantly, just because I can. I hope it can...
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited January 2008
    Here is the Happy Hacking Keyboard. I have one at home and one at work. If I'm writing code, I really can't use any other keyboard. The professional one is nice because it is blank, and has better keys. However, it has fewer keys than the lite 2. I'm so used to the lite 2, that I think the professional would actually be worse. Also, when considering the price, it is not justifiable.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited January 2008
    I'm going for a Das Keyboard II. Anyone know of anywhere that isn't japan where they sell rubber pads to make keyboards silent?
    I don't think the Optimums keyboard is as good as Das Keyboard, one you have to look at to get your keys right and the other you learn not to depend on looking at such things. One looks good but the other one is more useful and cheaper.
    I just with someone would come out with a trackball for FPSs.
  • Here is theHappy Hacking Keyboard.
    Gah!? No backspace? I will never be able to use that thing properly.
    I'm going for a Das Keyboard II.
    That's the one I meant, never seen/heard anything about the first generation so I nix the 'II' part. It's nice, darned pipe key though. Thinkgeek Link, drool.
  • edited January 2008
    Gah!? No backspace? I will never be able to use that thing properly.
    You can send backspace by pushing Fn+delete. However, there are also three hidden dip-switches that allow you to change the settings of the keyboard. One of the switches will turn delete into backspace. If you do that, then you will have to press Fn+~ to send a delete.

One of the other two switches will swap the Alt and Meta keys. The other one will enable/disable the built in USB hub.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Gah!? No backspace? I will never be able to use that thing properly.
    You can send backspace by pushing Fn+delete. However, there are also three hidden dip-switches that allow you to change the settings of the keyboard. One of the switches will turn delete into backspace. If you do that, then you will have to press Fn+~ to send a delete.

One of the other two switches will swap the Alt and Meta keys. The other one will enable/disable the built in USB hub.
    I read about the Fn+Delete, but that's not a key imho. And the Fn key is out of reach. You cannot easily in the default setup backspace a typo and then quickly resume typing. But ok, I should've continued reading before posting yes. Do you have that Backspace dip-switch activated?
  • Do you have that Backspace dip-switch activated?
    But of course.
  • Does anyone ever need to use the "\" or "|"? Though using shift on someone else's keyboard would be a pain.
  • I used to own the HHKB but I sold it; I didn't like the key action. It was too 'spongy' for my taste and sometimes when I was typing fast it would skip a letter or two.
  • Does anyone ever need to use the "\" or "|"? Though using shift on someone else's keyboard would be a pain.
    All the time.
    Yeah. For typing paths in Windows, piping output, etc.
  • edited January 2008
    What kind of backwards operating system are you using?
    Could someone design a keyboard that is easy to clean. A sign of a true geek is having more nutritional value in your keyboard than your fridge.
  • What kind of backwards operating system are you using?
    Some people just use their computer to do a few things, like listen to music or write e-mails. These people don't even really need keyboards, and can go with just a mouse. Other people use most of the software tools available on their computer.

Try editing some source code in vim and then tell me which keys you aren't using.
  • Though using shift on someone else's keyboard would be a pain.
    Oooh, what do you do with your Shift then?
  • edited January 2008
    I can't believe you just made an innuendo out of a computer a computer key./.
    P.S. Hey America, WFT is with the """ and "@" being in the wrong place?
  • I can't believe you just made an innuendo out of a computer a computer key./.
    P.S. Hey America, WFT is with the """ and "@" being in the wrong place?
    You're the ones who have it in the wrong place. We invented the keyboard.
  • Spose, just feels so unnatural.
  • Spose, just feels so unnatural.
    That would be because you are so used to having the keyboard a certain way.
  • Is it me or are international standards a recent invention. It might have been a move to stop importing/exporting.