This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Frontline: Growing Up Online

edited January 2008 in News
Did you see this episode of Frontline tonight? What do you think about it?

Comments

• I'll watch this later, maybe this weekend. Frontline is typically awesome.
  • Scaremongering much?
  • They spent a lot of time talking about cyber-bullying.

I've been cyber-bullied by Jason and WiP so often, it's left me with the thousand yard stare.
  • I'm only on part two. Teenagers on the internet make me hate being a teenager on the internet.
  • I'm sure that the proportion of teenagers acting like morons online today mirrors the proportion of teenagers acting like retards in pool halls in the 60s. The Internet hasn't made more idiots. It's just given them a new place to hang out.

I especially like the parents' comments about how they can't control their kids' actions online. They miss the whole point. Raise your kids to be awesome and you won't need to control them by the time they're teens.

Oh, and son, you haven't even seen bullying. We've coddled your dry, wrinkled ass.
  • edited January 2008
    Cool, though two points I want to bring up yet again (even though they were mentioned in this):

-People are jackasses on or off-line
    -Kids are smarter then you give them credit for, you've only forgotten

Though the last comment in it, kinda scares me, as it shows that the narrator who is meant to be in the know really doesn't know what he's talking about.
    Post edited by Page on
  • I thought it was pretty reasonable. They didn't take the crazy people's side for the most part and didn't blame technology.
  • I especially like the parents' comments about how they can't control their kids' actions online. They miss the whole point. Raise your kids to be awesome and you won't need to control them by the time they're teens.
    . . . or just turn off the power to their room. My response to high school kids whining about "respect" and "privacy": Start paying some rent and then I'll give you some respect and privacy.
    Oh, and son, you haven't even seen bullying. We've coddled your dry, wrinkled ass.
    See the cyber-bullying? I'm just . . . too traumatized to work today. Go on without me. I'm going to sit in the corner and sing sad Emo songs to myself . . .
  • Hungryjoe is cracking me up, lol.

I didn't TiVo this and I'm not around this week. I'm not sure it's worth watching online somewhere.
  • I'm not sure it's worth watching online somewhere.
    Every episode of Frontline is available free online form PBS in full. Many of them are worth watching.
  • We've coddled your dry, wrinkled ass.
    That just sounds... wrong.