This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Fooly Cooly

edited January 2008 in Anime
I'm surprised there wasn't already a thread on FLCL (Fooly Cooly or Furi Kuri). I think it is an awesome show with an interesting story about growing up and some wacky hilarity and action in between. In addition, the music is awesome. What does everyone else think about FLCL.

Comments

• You know, the first time I watched it, I honestly went through periods where I had no idea what the hell was going on. Yet, despite my confusions at part, I never for a moment stopped enjoying it. Then as you watch it again, you appreciate it more and get more out of the story. Of course, maybe I'm just weird and should have just gotten it all the first time I watched it. lol

At any rate, I think that would make for a fun episode of Geek Nights.
  • The show was never confusing to me.
  • The show was never confusing to me.
    Then you're a liar.

This show is awesome on so many levels. Every time you watch the series you pick up on new little things.
  • I don't think there is another anime which involves an electric guitar as much as FLCL. It rocks hard.
  • I don't think there is another anime which involves an electric guitar as much as FLCL. It rocks hard.
    Haruko's is a bass guitar. A Rickenbacker, which makes it pure win.
  • Sorry, Bass guitar.
  • I've only watched a few episodes of this show. One day I'll actually watch it. All I know is their soundtrack is mostly done by The Pillows and that is awesome.
  • There's only six episodes, so it won't take long to watch the whole series. And if you want to watch it in English, the dub doesn't suck.
  • I've only watched a few episodes of this show. One day I'll actually watch it. All I know is their soundtrack is mostly done by The Pillows and that is awesome.
    It's only six episodes long. Get on it.
  • I've never heard what the ~sweet hearts~ think of this show! Hmm....
  • I have both the anime and manga, they are both ace.
    The manga is pretty depressing.
  • I've watched through the series a few times and I brought the two volumes a while ago. The Pillows soundtrack for the show is pretty awesome so I purchased their Little Busters album too. Although a lot of the time I don't really know what's going on in either of the mediums, It's still a great series and worth owning. I think that the manga is a little less insane than the anime though. I don't know, maybe it's that while reading I don't have the perfect timing as the anime does.

A side note on The Pillows, I loved them in FLCL so much I got all their songs that were in the show but their music that doesn't appear in the show I'm not too fond of. Most of their music just doesn't have the same feel as Hybrid Rainbow or Carnival. Did anyone else feel that way?
    If only for the fact that I wasted some £14 on that piece of trash and then did it again with Q-ko chan...
  • If only for the fact that I wasted some £14 on that piece of trash and then did it again with Q-ko chan...
    Both the FLCL manga and Q-ko Chan are good. Also, 14 pounds? Was that total, or per volume?
    If only for the fact that I wasted some £14 on that piece of trash and then did it again with Q-ko chan...
    Q-ko Chan volume one was really good, but volume two made no sense. I really liked the art though, so I think it was worth it, but then again I only paid $10 US.
  • Q-ko Chan is totally shitty and doesn't make any sense, even Vol. 1. The art is just cool.
  • I usually don't like shows that are too wacky such as Excel Saga, but FLCL presented itself in such a way that I couldn't help but love it. That one guys eyebrows are epic!
  • The music on that show is what made it for me.

The confusion was there, you tend to be less confused the second time but only because you've learned that you don't know shit.
    Beck, anyone?

Anyways...FLCL anime- awesome. I've watched it all the way through twice, and I've seen single episodes here and there. And yeah, you pick up something new from it each time you watch it. I love the music. I got both the OSTs from Rightstuf ($5 each guys, get on it!).
    Manga- garbage. I tried reading the first volume like 2 or 3 times and I could never get through it. The art wasn't that great (IMO) and it made less sense than the anime did...and it (obviously) doesn't have any music to redeem itself with.
  • Why can't I find the orginal version of the song on youtube?? Every version has these weird rests in it....
  • edited April 2011
    I should be more clear. Ride on Shooting Star. This version seems alot less kick ass.

Post edited by KapitänTim on
  • Ok finally found this..

So much better... Those three notes make such a difference...
    Haruko's is a bass guitar. A Rickenbacker, which makes it pure win.
    Rickenbacker? Did somebody say Johnny Ramone?

FLCL's one of my favorite anime series. Mecha battles, bossy girl with guitar, thinly veiled metaphors about adolescence (angsty and otherwise), a giant iron, mecha doing housework, and at least one lapse into an entirely contrasting style of animation. What's not to like?
  • Everyone knows "Last Dinosaur" is the better song of that soundtrack
  • The Best Pillows Song!

• OMFG! SHIT! FUCKING AWESOME! PENISES SHOOTING RAINBOWS!!!! GIANT EYEBROWS! FLCL IS ON NETFLIX STREAMING!!!!