This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Where are the car geeks? Philly auto show

edited January 2008 in Conventions
The Philadelphia Auto Show is next week and I must admit I'm actually excited this year. I'm hoping to get my first up close look at a GT-R among other cool cars. Anyone else going and what are you going to be looking at?

Comments

• I'm a bit of a car geek myself, however there are few to no industry run auto shows near me, unfortunately. I'd love to see the new GT-R. I actually tried to buy an R32 GT-S from MotoRex, but at the time, they only had R32 GT-M's and R33 GT-S's, and I needed a car fairly quickly, so I couldn't wait a month. Oh well, I imagine they have come down a bit, so when I get some more bills paid off, I'll might try again. That, or get another WRX; I'm tired of driving a granny car.
  • Actually MotoRex went out of business, something about falsifying crash test data. And a WRX, come on, there are so many cool cars to be had, that one is so boring to drive.
  • I used to have an '03 WRX, and I loved it. The trick to making it fun to drive was to disable traction control. THAT required wiring a switch and inline fuse to the fuse slot for the ABS, since the tc was run by the ABS computer. At that point, you had full control of the brakes and the center differential was locked to 25/75 front/rear power distribution. Disabling the ABS on wet roads is a bad idea, but on dry roads, the traction control cuts on in a very unpredictable manner. If you know how to put the thing through a SCCA Solo I course, then the lack of ABS won't bother you in the least.

And the fact that you could throw a little bit of money at it and get a large chunks of extra power is always a bonus.
  • Lotus Elise? Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MRi?
  • I want a telsa roadster,and mount solar panels on the top parts, how much money would that save?
  • edited January 2008
    I used to have an '03 WRX, and I loved it. The trick to making it fun to drive was to disable traction control. THAT required wiring a switch and inline fuse to the fuse slot for the ABS, since the tc was run by the ABS computer. At that point, you had full control of the brakes and the center differential was locked to 25/75 front/rear power distribution. Disabling the ABS on wet roads is a bad idea, but on dry roads, the traction control cuts on in a very unpredictable manner. If you know how to put the thing through a SCCA Solo I course, then the lack of ABS won't bother you in the least.

And the fact that you could throw a little bit of money at it and get a large chunks of extra power is always a bonus.
    Extra power for little money as always good, but I love my 01 SAAB 9-5 aero a lot, it's such a joy to drive and has nearly the power of a STi. I drove an 06 WRX and it just didn't thrill me anywhere near as much, but I still respect the AWD. Man do I want that.
    Lotus Elise? Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MRi?
    Those are pretty expensive cars.
    I want a telsa roadster,and mount solar panels on the top parts, how much money would that save?
    Almost none, I just to work for a company that sold solar panels and the amount of power they generate is pitiful. Way less than even the smallest 3 cylinders can muster.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Didn't they developed panels with 40% efficiency?
  • 40% efficiency measured how? Talk in kilowatt hours.

• Those are pretty expensive cars.
    You get what you pay for. You need to ask yourself if you want to go fast, or really fucking fast. The second option will redefine what most believe to be driving "fast".
  • You get what you pay for. You need to ask yourself if you want to go fast, or really fucking fast. The second option will redefine what most believe to be driving "fast".
    My car can outpace an EVO in a straight line. 300 hp cars are small potatoes though, they're what you call "quick" cars. The truely "fast" stuff start at 11 second quarters. ;)
  • My car can outpace an EVO in a straight line. 300 hp cars are small potatoes though, they're what you call "quick" cars. The truely "fast" stuff start at 11 second quarters. ;)
    Straight line doesn't impress me for crap. Cornering speed is what really matters.
  • Note I said the more preformance enhanced EVO. But it doesn't matter, we shouldn't argue about this; we have the WRC.
  • Straight line doesn't impress me for crap. Cornering speed is what really matters.
    You want to talk about cornering speed, my friend just got a new Infiniti G35 AWD (basically the same chassis and similar AWD to the GT-R) and he let me drive it. Holy crap does that thing hold onto the road, I was doing 50 around a 25 mph rated highway on ramp and I just kept turning it on tighter and accelerating faster, I think I came onto the highway at over 70. My SAAB holds the road pretty well too, but it has an aftermarket suspension so it doesn't count.