This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

PAX 2008

edited January 2008 in Conventions
It seems that tickets to PAX '08 have gone on sale. Three day pass (August 29-31st) is $40 at the moment.

I really want to go, but not sure if I'll make it.

Comments

• Um, it's not on the PAX site or Penny Arcade, so I'm not going to trust some brownpapertickets whatever.
  • Well I said "It seems..." just for that reason. Although I have heard of brown paper tickets, I won't necessarily trust it until Tycho or Gabe posts something.
  • Yeah, normally how it goes, Gabe & Tycho don't really announce anything about PAX until Spring, if that. Buying it via http://www.pennyarcadeexpo.com/ is probably the best way.

However, I know they haven't mentioned anything about what hotels they have with a PAX discount, I went ahead and reserved my room at I think Days Inn. It's the cheapest one in that area, even though it's not the closest, but with in walking distance. I'm sure when they do announce the hotels, it will still be among the ones with a discount.
  • edited January 2008
    Well looks like registration is up now. Pre-reg is $40 by the end of March. That's an extremely great deal. I will be registering tonight.

As for hotels, they only have 3 at the moment, but I'm sure they will add more down the road.

Good lord, I'm already excited for PAX 2008.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I am very much considering going this year.
  • While listening to the most recent GN, I just realized they are doubling the size of the Exhibition room. Good fucking lord that's insane but awesome. I spent most of my time in the exhibition room last year and now they are making it bigger. *sigh*
  • edited May 2008
    To anyone going to PAX or considering going: would anyone like to room with me at the Sheraton? The person I was going to go with has bailed out, and I feel awkward posting on the room sharing thread on the PAX forum.

I have a room with two double beds booked out, and it's technically just supposed to be for two guests, but we could probably sneak in up to four people to cut costs. It's about $169 a night before tax. Check in is 3 PM August 29th, and check out is August 31st at 12 PM. To work out further details (e.g.: room keys, meeting spots, possible meet-ups with other FRC-ites), feel free to either whisper me or e-mail me at tenchikaze@gmail.com.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • I'd love to go, but there's no way in hell I'll be able to afford it until I'm out of school and have a job.
  • My friend and I are most likely going! We have a wedding to go to around the same date, so we'll just stay up there for the Con. Would missing a bit of Freshman Orientation be detrimental to my life at RIT?
  • Schedule's been posted to the PAX forum. As it says in the forum post, it is still subject to change:

http://www.pennyarcadeexpo.com/PAX_2008_Schedule.pdf
  • edited August 2008
    Man, I'm getting way too excited. I plan on going to way more panels and getting less sleep. We should all figure out who is going to come to PAX and try to meet.

Edit: There is a panel on Sunday at 10 AM called "Podcasting - The New Media". Hmm. I wonder who will be running it.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Yeah, I was definitely hoping for some kind of west coast GeekNights meet-up at PAX. Maybe it can be sometime on Saturday a little bit before Scrym's panel so that we can all go attend that panel together afterward.
  • Yeah, I was definitely hoping for some kind of west coast GeekNights meet-up at PAX. Maybe it can be sometime on Saturday a little bit before Scrym's panel so that we can all go attend that panel together afterward.
    Sounds good. Also if you have any questions about the area, I'll be happy to provide any assistance. ^_^
  • That'd be great, considering I want to do everything in my power to make sure I don't get lost (much) in an unfamiliar locale.

Know of any really good, highly visible meeting spots in or around the convention center?
  • Know of any really good, highly visible meeting spots in or around the convention center?
    I'll have to get back to you on that. I'm pretty familiar with the whole convention center as well as the surrounding area. Because of that, I tend to think of all the locations as visible. :P I'll get back to you on that.
  • The schedules out: is your panel the podcasting or family feud one? :D
  • The schedules out: is your panel the podcasting or family feud one? :D
    I guess you haven't been listening to their recent podcasts, Mitchy D. There panel is "Beyond Dungeons & Dragons" on Saturday 6-7PM in the Wolman Theater. That is their only panel.
  • I can't tell a whole lot about obvious landmarks inside of the convention center from the photos I'm finding. The layout maps of the WSCTC help somewhat, thankfully, with the only problem being that they're not labeled with any of the location names that PAX will be using. I did get a very good sense of the outside of the building by looking around Flickr, at least. Does that help you?
  • I have indeed been behind on the Geeknights :( Lost a lot of podcast time recently.
  • Now, is it intentional that it is PAX like the Latin for peace?
  • edited August 2008
    Now, is it intentional that it is PAX like the Latin for peace?
    I doubt it.
    Oh, Big Work..
    Though it should be Magnus Opus I believe. Or at least Magnum Opum.

Edit: Doh! Opus is neutral..
    Post edited by kiwi_bird on
  • So, who is attending PAX besides myself?
  • Right here.
  • So, who is attending PAX besides myself?
    Wait, when did I say I was going to attend PAX? Unless you will pay my flight ticket and stay, sure, I'll gladly come. Didn't know I had that many fans though...
  • Very clever.
  • Guess it's obvious from my above comments, but I'm there for sure. Ee, first trip outside of Canada!
  • I should be going, however some extremely emergent shit came up in my life that might prevent me from going. I'm going to do whatever it takes within my power to go. I don't want to miss this.
  • I'll be at the Giant Bomb panel, and missing the Geeknights. But I still want to hit up the Crane shenanigans with yous. I wonder if I can get in late and meet up?
  • Ok. My emergent shit got taken care of. I'll be at PAX. After trying to figure out where the Geek Nights panel will be, I realized that the WSCTC does not have "named" rooms, so I'm assuming PAX will provide the locations of the named rooms. The rooms are actually numbered.

I found a pdf version of the floor plans. I would think the best place for people to meet up before the panel will be in the main lobby area. It's on the first page at the top part of the floor plan right beneath the 3 entrances. There is a lobby area with couches. It really isn't hard to find. I'm thinking meet up at 5:30 then go to the panel. If anyone needs further explanation of how to find this area, let me know.

Also, if you want to try to contact me via cell phone/text, send me a whisper, and I'll give you my phone number. ^_^
  • 5:30 works for me. All the events I may be interested in before the GeekNights panel end at 5:00, so I'm wide open. :) I can bring a sign or something with the GeekNights logo on it to hold up, if you want. Failing that, I'll at least be carrying a large brown paper bag with black ends that says "For Rym & Scott" on the side.

BTW, does anyone want me to bring them a little treat from Canada? I get a big discount at the chocolate place I work at, and it's really good stuff. :3~