This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080131 - GeekHaus

RymRym
edited January 2008 in Everything Else
Tonight on GeekNights, we discuss GeekHaus. In the news, the ACLU fights paper ballots, and Audible is Amazowned.

Scott's Thing - EveryBlock
Rym's Thing - Cheeseburger in a Can

Comments

• edited January 2008
    Ahh... GeekHaus. This ought to be an interesting show. Although, I wish EveryBlock was available for Providence.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Can I not has cheezburger? Ewww.
  • Although I wish EveryBlock was available for Boston, the best city in New England.
    I agree.
  • The one thing I want in my house: I want to be able to choose the temperature of water by entering in a number, instead of turning a knob. There's absolutely no reason I shouldn't be able to have this, and it would make my life surprisingly more comfortable, but it seems like it's impossible to do.
  • edited February 2008
    One thing I would definitely want in my house: a masonry heater of some sort in the living room. Also: a room where I can practice violin in the middle of the night without anyone ever hearing me.
    Post edited by merry_minstrel on
  • The one thing I want in my house: I want to be able to choose the temperature of water by entering in a number, instead of turning a knob. There's absolutely no reason I shouldn't be able to have this, and it would make my life surprisingly more comfortable, but it seems like it's impossible to do.
    It's not even close to impossible. My uncle, the rich single dentist who owns his own practice, has a very expensive shower that does that and so much more.
  • edited February 2008
    Although I wish EveryBlock was available for Boston, the best city in New England.
    I agree.
    Oh, I agree. Boston is much better than Providence, but I live near Providence. Although I am coming up to Boston today.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Literacy does not equal intelligence. If anything, literacy makes it easier to take advantage of stupid people, by making it more convenient to communicate with large numbers of stupid people at once. :) The conspiracy theories on Digg and the shitcocks on the Penny Arcade forums should stand as a shining example of this.
  • From what I've heard, you don't want sky lights because they leak. It's something I would like for my house, but people always complain about them.
  • edited February 2008
    Literacy does not equal intelligence.
    Yes, but illiteracy makes it very hard in today's world to get information about political processes and inform yourself. Therefore, illiteracy does handicap people when they want to make political decisions.

Edit: In an intact democracy, there shouldn't be any illiteracy, anyway, because the system heavily relies on it's system of education.
    Post edited by merry_minstrel on
  • To answer Scott's question about ice skating races with right turns. The irregular Elfstedentocht or more general, marathon skating. Just get a ton of helicopters with camera crews on board and a very cold winter here in the Netherlands and you might be able to watch it. And I think you meant Short track with the skating in little circles.
  • To answer Scott's question about ice skating races with right turns. The irregularElfstedentochtor more general,marathon skating. Just get a ton of helicopters with camera crews on board and a very cold winter here in the Netherlands and you might be able to watch it. And I think you meant Short track with the skating in little circles.
    The Elfstedentocht sounds awesome. Seems a lot like the Mille Miglia of ice skating. However, my idea was more akin to icing over the Nurburgring and having maybe a 10 lap race.
  • The Elfstedentocht sounds awesome. Seems a lot like the Mille Miglia of ice skating. However, my idea was more akin to icing over the Nurburgring and having maybe a 10 lap race.
    From what I recall, yes the Elfstedentocht is great, though, imho, not as awesome as a good 10,000 meters in left turn circles. But what you want is just marathon skating. A course is set on a frozen lake with perhaps a few rivers and that is run a few laps. Neither the Elfstedentocht or marathon ice skating in general get much media attention though, they take a long time. Just look at the Tour de France. Only a few 'attacks' per course, and they broadcast the entire race! *grumbles* I dislike that sort of thing, all people want to see is exciting stuff. That's why the good 10,000 meter runs are awesome, the entire race is against the clock and with the clock displaying every 30 seconds...
  • How many people live in your current house?
  • I voted on super Tuesday and witnessed something that disturbed me. A woman walked out of the voting booth and said "Oh I did this wrong can I get another ballot?" I just thought "No, you only had to mark one circle, you are not smart enough to vote".

The whole lowering table thing is insane. Just get a couple $30 conference tables, they are easy to set up and will store nicely in a closet (even under the stairs). Why don't you just buy a dryer? You should be able to find a cheap used one for $75.

Things I look for in a house:
    Garage near the Kitchen and on the same level, for less grocery hauling.
    Central air is a must, put in an electronic thermostat and let it get hot during the day, set it to cool before you get home at night.
    Storage, under stairs, attic, basement, just somewhere to put crap.
    Layout / flow of the house, is there a purpose for each room. I lived in a house with a HUGE room that had a door to nearly every other room in the house. You couldn't do anything in the room because there were 6 doors. We ended up just putting a table in one corner, and a fish tank in another. It was a 16"x20" hallway.
    Counter space is important. Cramped kitchens suck.
    You also have to consider resale... other people will look at exterior features, schools, and other things that don't concern you. Don't stick yourself with something you can't sell later.
  • Why don't you just buy a dryer? You should be able to find a cheap used one for $75.
    Where do you supposed we put this dryer in this house we rent? If it was just a matter of buying it, it would not be a problem.
  • The whole lowering table thing is insane. Just get a couple $30 conference tables, they are easy to set up and will store nicely in a closet (even under the stairs).
    We have tables like that now. They're a pain in the arse to haul around/store and, more importantly, you have to have a clear floor upon which to put them. The lowering tables can be lowered OVER other things, which is their primary use.
    You also have to consider resale... other people will look at exterior features, schools, and other things that don't concern you.
    Who said we'll ignore those things? Beacon schools are pretty damn good, and an architect will handle the exterior. ^_~
  • Have you ever considered making majority of the house subterranean? Maybe a couple floors underground and one floor above?
  • Have you ever considered making majority of the house subterranean? Maybe a couple floors underground and one floor above?
    That would be ludicrously expensive.
  • Rather than buy a huge water heater just get a hot water on demand system. I do not have a tanked water heater and never run out of hot water because it all goes through the furnace.
  • Posted By: starfoxYou also have to consider resale... other people will look at exterior features, schools, and other things that don't concern you.
    Hey, that wasn't me.
  • edited February 2008
    You know Scott, you can buy one at a time through 'gasp' iTunes. They're about $15 each, and they're all really good. Once again, just like with your anti-Apple rant, you should do your research before you open your mouth.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • You know Scott, you can buy one at a time through 'gasp' iTunes.They'reabout $15 each,andthey'reall really good. Once again, just like with your anti-Apple rant, you should do your research before you open your mouth.
    Let me get this straight. Your solution to DRM and high prices is worse DRM and higher prices.
  • Audible is quite worth it for the selection and quality of professionally-voiced audio books they have.
  • DRM sucks, but most Audible stuff isn't the type of DRM that locks it to one device.
  • edited June 2008
    From what I've heard, you don't want sky lights because they leak. It's something I would like for my house, but people always complain about them.
    Yeah most of the time they leak because of the installers do a bad job at flashing them. If done properly there is no risk of them leaking.
    Post edited by Alan on
  • edited September 2008
    I just thought of something every GeekHaus needs: a bookshelf on the toilet, filled with comic strip books, yon-komas or short episodic things like Yotsuba&!
    Post edited by Rym on
  • abookshelf on the toilet, filled with comic strip books, yon-komas or short episodic things like Yotsuba&!
    Our downstairs bathroom has two books in it: a gigantic tome of Roman history, and a lengthy, hardcover biography of Peter the Great. The upstairs bathroom has a collection of essays about cultural diffusion and interaction throughout history and a translated (unannotated) copy of the Odyssey.
  • edited September 2008
    Not bad, but my suggestions where rather for the normal session of 2 minutes or less, not the 20 minute bowel obstruction. I think it wouldn't be too bad to just grab a random book out of the shelf, flip up a random page and be entertained and distracted for the short while you're on the seat.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • my suggestions where rather for the normal session of 2 minutes or less,
    When I poop, I'm in for the long haul. I even have a sign.