This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

An interest in chatting?

edited February 2008 in Forum Stuff
I've noticed that many of us have posted our screennames for various messaging systems (AIM, Jabber, Skype, etc.), but there appears to be a question of whether we're actually interested in contacting each other or not. This may be universal, or it may just be me - I don't know.

So, I've created this thread in case anyone would actually like to chat with the other members of the forums, but don't want to message someone out of the blue. If anybody would like to make it known that they can be (or would like to be) contacted by the other members of the forums, post here and make it known.

Comments

• I wanted to try this IRC thing but I've heard bad things.
  • Once I get my AIM and ICQ issue fixed, sure! We should agree on what client/ protocol to use.
  • Well, I'm pretty sure that every mac user on these forums would agree - Adium FTW.
  • I'm not one to usually initiate a conversation (unless I really have something to say), but if someone drops me a line out of the blue, I can talk their freakin' ear off.

And if anyone on the forums ever has a science-related question (preferably biology - I'm a microbiologist, after all), feel free to ask me. I've got a lot of expertise and a love of sounding really really smart to other people.
  • Given that I'm taking Bio 2 and might need some help, you may receive a line from me on occasion. ;-)
  • What I meant was what protocol are we going to use? Jabber?
  • Whatever works. The idea was really just to have people say whether they were fine or not with being contacted by other members of the forums, by some other means than the forums.
  • Ok. But it still would be awesome if everyone could just use one protocol.
  • I could see it being narrowed down to AIM, Jabber and Skype.
  • I'm cool with anyone AIMing me. We could talk otaku shit.
  • I like talking to people, and I'm almost always on YIM and GTalk, and I'm occasionally on Skype and AIM.
  • ...Gawd. I have Yahoo and MSN, not Jabber and AIM. Though, I do have Trillian, so I can easily get AIM...

...And Skype. But I never use it. It just logs in automatically. XD I have two friends on there.

But I'd love to chat. However, once you're added, I'll probably never be the first to contact you - I don't even notice people who log on...
  • edited February 2008
    I wanted to try this IRC thing but I've heard bad things.
    Despite what Rym and Scott think, IRC is not an inherently bad thing. An channel with decent people is decent. Just avoid any channel that's, like, #omgtehwarezhere
    Also, I don't mind people messaging me out of the blue. Just don't expect me to be too talkative if I get distracted.
    Post edited by Neito on
  • I have Yahoo and MSN,
    Oh wow, I thought I was the only one who uses MSN, although I hate it. I sure miss the days when ICQ was the big thing down here in México.
  • I thought I was the only one who uses MSN,
    Just check ID Share. There's a ton of people using MSN.
  • I just remembered I need to dig out Adium... even though it screws up my friends statuses in YIM.
  • Adium is love.

I think I have AIM, YIM, MSN, Jabber, and such, though most people I talk to use AIM.
    I also have skype, but I wish Adium supported it. (proprietary bullshit....)

I love talking to people about interesting topics. Feel free to IM me whenever.
  • I'm on Skype sometimes, but that's only because I have like two friends who use it, and they use AIM just as much, so I'm usually just on AIM. Feel free to message me anytime, if I'm not there, and I don't have an away message up, I'm really sorry but I still live at home and if my mom calls I don't always have to time to switch the status. So, ya, ADIUM W00T!!
  • I wanted to try this IRC thing but I've heard bad things.
    Despite what Rym and Scott think, IRC is not an inherently bad thing. An channel with decent people is decent. Just avoid any channel that's, like, #omgtehwarezhere
    Also, I don't mind people messaging me out of the blue. Just don't expect me to be too talkative if I get distracted.
    I used IRC a lot back in my fansubbing days. Not so much now any more, because I don't really have any reason to. If there were a FRC channel, I might hang around there actually.
  • Well, I just got Adium again, so talking to me will be much easier. And since I have nothing better to do, IM me whenever.

By the way, what's ICQ, Bonjour, and all that stuff? How many IM-type programs do you need?
  • If my computer's on, I can almost guarantee I'm on both GTalk and AIM, so feel free to send me a line. I can't always guarantee I'm at my computer, though.
  • By the way, what's ICQ, Bonjour, and all that stuff? How many IM-type programs do you need?
    One. The one all your friends are on. Most of my friends use ICQ, some use MSN, so I use Pidgin to connect to both networks.
  • I have 10 friends on AIM, 7 on ICQ, 8 on MSN, 5 on Yahoo and 3 on Jabber. Don't ask me why they all don't use the same. Although not one of my German friends know AIM.