This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Homestar Runner!

edited September 2006 in Everything Else
Because I've noticed Scott make several references to H*R (good jorb, Scott), I'm assuming they're fans of this website.
So... I dunno, post here with your comments and/or questions about Homestar Runner.

PS. If you haven't heard of this, you're sad. Very sad.

Comments

• Because I've noticed Scott make several references to H*R (good jorb, Scott), I'm assuming they're fans ofthis website.
    So... I dunno, post here with your comments and/or questions about Homestar Runner.

PS. If you haven't heard of this, you're sad. Very sad.
    /Username says it all
  • Okay, Here's a question:

How did you get into/find out about Homestar Runner?
  • edited October 2006
    Rym and I discovered Homestar Runner at the same time. It was via word of mouth among college friends. I think the first time I visited the site there were less than ten Strong Bad e-mails. For about two years after that we all visited the site religiously every week. After that it became much less interesting. I don't think I've been to the site in over a year. Maybe I'll go back on Halloween, that's always a good time.

Also, get this. Remember the first time Strongbad's computer explodes, with the e-mail about gimmicks? It is possible that that e-mail is actually mine, but they edited it. I have no way of proving it, and I lost the original e-mail I sent them. So believe it, or not.
    Post edited by Rym on

Scott told me about it 2-4 years ago.

I did?
  • I believe it was Rym and Scott who introduced me to H*R roughly 8,000,000 years ago, when there were perhaps 10 Strong Bad e-mails.

I distinctly remember laughing histerically at the intro page where Strong Bad would yell "Somebody get this freakin' duck away from me." That was, at the time, the funniest thing on the Internet.

I haven't kept up with it, but the few times I've gone back to catch up, the quality has varied a lot. I'm not sure if it can ever be as awesome as it was, but it's certainly still entertaining.
  • I think I first discovered Homestarruner.com around Sbemail 60. A friend told me to watch the japanese cartoon email... holy crap funny! I'm also a fan of the Strong Bad/Homestar vs Little Girl puppet shows. "You can never live in two places... because there is only one of you..."

Has anyone tried writing an email to Strong Bad? I gave it a shot once, but I can't remember what I asked him.
  • Luke and Dave showed me Strongbad's Emails back when there were no more than ten or so of them. It was utter hilarity. We watched them religiously for the next year or so.

Our interest then waned. The joke was largely played out, and the newer bits weren't as funny (to us) as they used to be. I still laugh out loud at the first two Halloween specials, and the first thirty or so Strongbad Emails, but I've completely lost interest in H*R.

Of course, that's not to say that we haven't gained an ungodly plethora of catchphrases and in-jokes from it.
  • I remember, back in the early years of my internet addiction, seeing that little image on somebody's linkbar (Right next to image, which also turned out to be prophetic). Those were the days.

I did?
    Remember when you were a counselor at Cybercamps at the University of Hartford? I was there.

I did?
    Remember when you were a counselor at Cybercamps at the University of Hartford? I was there.
    Oh, ok. I am not remembering.
  • Well I myself originally had it shown to me by my good friend Rob Bartlett, and found it amusing for that weekend.

About two years later (this January), I found that my cousins from CA are big fans of it, which re-sparked my interest, and I've been watching it pretty much constantly ever since.

PS.

Also, get this. Remember the first time Strongbad's computer explodes, with the e-mail about gimmicks? It is possible that that e-mail is actually mine, but they edited it. I have no way of proving it, and I lost the original e-mail I sent them. So believe it, or not.
    Okay, Scott? That pwns. Hard.
  • I've been watching Homestar Runner since 2003 or 2004, I don't know. It was around the time Strong Bad was reaching 100th E-mail.

I do also have a lot of swag from Homestar Runner, mostly DVDs.
  • The CD was the absolute peak of H*R.
  • The CD was the absolute peak of H*R.
    Nah. The CD was OK, the DVDs with all that awesome bonus stuff was the peak.
  • Every day I go looking through my emails, every day hoping it's from a female!
  • I remember first checking it out in early 04 and hating it. Then in 07 when I seen some AMV using H*R stuff I re-checked it out. I love it now! I watched all the SBE over a week, I quote Teen Girl Squad and like some of the clips.

SO GOOD!
  • I discovered Homestar Runner from a teacher in high school. He was teaching us Flash and HTML and was giving us examples of sites that use said languages, and Homestar was an example.

I found it quite funny, though I was not fully acclimated to the inter-tubes, so I thought it was the greatest thing since I discovered that masturbation was a possibility.
  • My biology teacher loved Homestar Runner. He would play a Strong Bad email at least once a week on the TV.
  • Heh, It's still a highlight of my Monday.

The one about fan clubs and fan fiction (and Merry Sues) was great.
    "I can do it, I can do it twelve times!"
  • Yeah, there was a stretch of blah to okay sbemails for a while, but several of the most recent ones have been really good. In particular,"bike thief," "pizza joint," "webcomics," "diorama," and "fan club" are my favourites of the e-mails currently displayed on the top of the sbemail menu.

The actual toons as of late are still just kinda blah or okay, though, except "Trogday 08," which I liked because I had been thinking about the overexposure of Trogdor and whatever happened to The S is For Sucks Dragon a few days prior to its release.
  • Well, I watched a few new ones the other day, and they didn't do anything for me. Same with Ask a Ninja (which is actually the same basic schtick as Strongbad's Emails).
  • edited February 2008
    Well, I watched a few new ones the other day, and they didn't do anything for me. Same with Ask a Ninja (which is actually the same basic schtick as Strongbad's Emails).
    I bet he looks forward to killing you soon...
    Post edited by Conan-San on
  • Well, I watched a few new ones the other day, and they didn't do anything for me. Same with Ask a Ninja (which is actually the same basic schtick as Strongbad's Emails).
    You gotta admit that the fan costume stuff is pretty darn funny though.
  • Well....it finally happened......again. Strong Bad finally got a new computer that is nearly up to par with the computers of today.
  • Given how well 6-minute YouTube animation is doing, they'd be silly not to come back!
  • It wasn't bad, but I also didn't laugh a lot. Don't know what to think. I never stopped liking Homestar Runner, my interest just faded away.
  • Matt said:

It wasn't bad, but I also didn't laugh a lot. Don't know what to think. I never stopped liking Homestar Runner, my interest just faded away.

Indeed. I think the quality never really declined - it's just that it nailed a particular niche at a particular time, and I've since moved on to other things.