This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

My laptop won't shutdown properly.

edited February 2008 in Technology
I'm running Windows Vista on my fairly new Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop. For a couple of months now, it's been refusing to shutdown. I click shut down in the Start menu, and then it takes me to the "Shutting down..." screen, where it stays forever. I wind up having to manual press the shutdown/startup button. I did a quick Google search, and the first site was talking about some sort of problem with Nvidia drivers, which I do not have. So, halp.

Comments

• Had the same problem with my wireless card. If i keep it off it would shutdown. Most likely there is a process in the background that won't shutdown and that is the issue I had. I don't have vista but that is the direction I would start looking first.
  • I'm running Windows Vista
    refusing to shutdown.
    halp.
    Solution.
  • Had the same problem with my wireless card. If i keep it off it would shutdown. Most likely there is a process in the background that won't shutdown and that is the issue I had. I don't have vista but that is the direction I would start looking first.
    Sometimes when I try shutting down, it says CCC.exe is running, but then just proceeds to the shut down screen. CCC.exe is the Catalyst Control Center for my ATI video card, I think. I'm going to try quiting it before shutting down and seeing what happens.
  • edited February 2008
    Sometimes when I try shutting down, it says CCC.exe is running, but then just proceeds to the shut down screen. CCC.exe is the Catalyst Control Center for my ATI video card, I think. I'm going to try quiting it before shutting down and seeing what happens.
    Wait, you don't exit your apps. before shutting your computer off?
    Post edited by Zeehat on
  • CCC runs no matter what you're doing. It's like the Nvidia control center.
  • Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop
    Oh, there's your problem. That machine is a piece of shit. My wife has one, and I'm constantly trouble-shooting for her.
  • CCC runs no matter what you're doing.
    Then end the process manually.
  • edited February 2008
    CCC runs no matter what you're doing. It's like the Nvidia control center.
    Actually, I just right clicked and exited it. Now it shuts down properly.
    Wait, you don't exit your apps. before shutting your computer off?
    I didn't actually realize that CCC was the Catalyst thing until I looked at the processes running in task manager a little while ago and saw it's description. It's always running, I just never noticed.
    Oh, there's your problem. That machine is a piece of shit. My wife has one, and I'm constantly trouble-shooting for her.
    It was a gift, and I'm fourteen, so I have no money. It actually works fairly well for me. I can play Source Engine games and use the internet, and that's pretty much all I need to.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • Oh, there's your problem. That machine is a piece of shit. My wife has one, and I'm constantly trouble-shooting for her.
    I'd bet it's Vista not the machine. Worse yet it's the 3rd parties that after a YEAR still do not have drivers working well enough to handle simple things like shutting off your computer under Vista.

Check the logs. The Vista logs are actually very nice, and you should be able to fine what is causing the problem. If it is a video card problem you might try to get a new driver. I don't know if there is something similar to laptopvideo2go.com for ATI cards. Most manufacturers don't update their drivers so you are stuck with the drivers that came with the machine. My laptop would not shutdown under Vista, it was due to my network card. I just went to the device manager and right clicked the card and selected update. It found an updated driver and installed it.

I purchased my laptop 1 year ago. The machine would not suspend under VIsta. When I got suspend working sound, the USB ports and the card reader would not work, after resume. Now my warranty is up and my built-in SD card reader still will not work after I resume from suspend.
  • edited February 2008
    Solution.
    Uh, yeah, I tried for about two months to get wireless internet to work for me in Ubuntu, and it just wouldn't. My need to use Ubuntu doesn't yet out weigh the effort it takes to get it working.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • Uh, yeah, I tried for about two months to get wireless internet to work for me in Ubuntu, and it just wouldn't. My need to use Ubuntu doesn't yet out way the effort it takes to get it working.
    Did you use the Ubuntu forums? Because, the reason must have been incompatible hardware. If that wasn't the reason, we've got an even bigger problem.