This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Help with a simple website

edited February 2008 in Technology
Foreword: I hope this post doesn't sound like a "Can you help me make something like Amazon?" request, If there is any premade code that just needs modifying can someone link me to it, if not, could someone tell me what language or CMS should be looking at to make such things.

I am setting up a website as part of a business I've started. The test page (I'm using templates in Dreamweaver.) is here and I want to add:
1) In the section marked "[Main Offer]" cross fading series of images with buttons up the side. This kind of thing (though mouse click instead of mouse over.) or like the one on the main page of Steam.
2) In the space marked "[Appointments]" to have a small, manually edited calendar with how many appointments I have on each day for the month. Is there a way to have the numbers coloured with their values (0 blue, 1 green..5 red).
3) In the box under the "[Main Offers]" box I'm putting the page contents, more on that as I go.
4)In the "[Testimonials]" box I'd like to have a random testimonial picked from a file.

Also, storing information in files for the "[Main offer]" and "[Testimonials]" section would be preferable to databases. Ignore the messed up title of the test page, having troubles with DW. Any thoughts on design, etc.. also appreciated.

Comments

• Wow... a lot of stuff to address. I guess the first thing to ask is what language are you planning to use? PHP or ASP? There's probably a good amount of scripts for both, but you probably need a little programming experience to edit the code to your liking.
  • 1) In the section marked "[Main Offer]" cross fading series of images with buttons up the side.Thiskind of thing (though mouse click instead of mouse over.) or like the one on the main page of Steam.
    Easiest way to do that is with some simple javascript. Showing and hiding some divs.
    2) In the space marked "[Appointments]" to have a small, manually edited calendar with how many appointments I have on each day for the month. Is there a way to have the numbers coloured with their values (0 blue, 1 green..5 red).
    Yes, colours with CSS. Though you can't really emulate the Roman numbering system with colours.
    3) In the box under the "[Main Offers]" box I'm putting the page contents, more on that as I go.
    . . . Next.
    4)In the "[Testimonials]" box I'd like to have a random testimonial picked from a file.
    PHP (or other serverside script stuff), and a locked away text file. Just put a testimonial/line and read a random line from it for every request.
    If there is any premade code that just needs modifying can someone link me to it, if not, could someone tell me what language or CMS should be looking at to make such things.
    No links, sorry. As for CMS, haven't worked with them ever so can't help you there. Grab a server side scripting language and go nuts. Good luck.
  • CutePHP stores things in files for the main offer. It's not free.
  • Cutenews is except for getting rid of the "Powered by cutenews" thing at the bottom, but it's a piece of shit. I use it on Screw These Comics. Its simple enough to integrate into any design, tho.