This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Chemistry or Physics?

edited February 2008 in Everything Else
It's grade 11 course selection time and I'm not sure what to pick. Here in Ontario you only need two science credits to graduate, but I'd like to continue taking science. In grade 11, science splits into chemistry, biology and physics. I'm not really into biology. I'm interested in both chemistry and physics; I just don't know which is more interesting. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• edited February 2008
    Chemistry requires less math than physics. You'll see lots and lots of arithmetic in high school chemistry, but little algebra, no trigonometry, and no calculus. Physics is going to require algebra and trigonometry (and maybe some analytic geometry) and maybe a little calculus depending on who teaches it. Physics lab in high school is liable to include experiments involving dropping superballs onto the floor and measuring how high up they bounce. In fact, you might not even have a lab in high school physics. Chemistry is more likely to give you lab experience at the high school level and you'll at least get to see some reactions.

As far as interest goes, chemistry will teach you about the structure of atoms and molecules, chemical bonding, how to read the periodic table, and how to balance chemical equations. Physics at the high school level is basically all simple Newtonian (really Gallilean) mechanics and maybe some simple circuit theory.

At the high school level, chemistry will give you a step towards doing well in college chemistry classes, plus it will give you a foundation for the chemistry you would need if you go into the health field. High school physics will show you how to calculate the forces that bear on a weight sliding down an inclined plane.

Chemistry will allow you to actually do something useful with your knowledge faster than physics will. It takes a lot of time in physics before you get to use it for anything cool. So, if you have to choose just one in high school, I'd advise you to choose chemistry.
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Well I had the same decision to make last year. At my school you need to take 3 years, but that doesn't matter, because I was planning on taking physics, then AP physics. But, for the most part, if you want to do anything having to do with tech in college, it'll be in the engineering section. This means that at most schools you'll be required to have already taken chemistry.

I would also suggest taking physics your senior year, because there's some stuff in there that you'll like knowing, and it makes calculus make a lot more sense.

If you like math, I would suggest you take AP Physics (do they have AP in Canada?), since so far regular has been really easy. But then again, I'm already in AP Calc in 11th grade...
  • Take both.
  • I failed physics but I loved learning it... My teacher just refused to show me formula conversion :(
  • Physics.

I hated chemistry. I took it at the local community college just so that I could be done with it faster and get to the real, fun science (AP Bio and Physics). ^_~

Be warned that you'd better be (or be able to be) fucking awesome at calculus for the "real" physics. It doesn't really get interesting until you hit the point where calculus is the only way out.

I took physics in tenth grade, in the model of Euler's Method (which I still believe is a superior way of learning over the kinematic method). I had to wait until 12th grade to actually take AP Physics (B/C), since you really, really need to be taking AP Calculus (B/C) to have even a glimmer of a chance of understanding anything.

AP Physics B/C, however, was one of the most intellectually stimulating (and, at the time, challenging) tasks I have ever undertaken. Calculating the three-dimensional surface charge distribution of a complex shape required skills and patience I no longer even have.
  • Physics for me as well. Physics is nice and clean, with more of the lovely mathematical equations and less of the noxious acids. I like making circuits and dropping things better than mixing chemicals, and like both of those better than cutting dead things up. (All kidding aside, though, I really liked physics, especially the subjects relating to electrical currents.)
  • Physics is nice and clean, with more of the lovely mathematical equations and less of the noxious acids.
    Yes! Physics has the lowest risk of cancer and bad smells of the three. ^_~
  • I'm sorry, but I liked the explosions and the smoke and the danger.
  • Physics is just glorified maths, at least in chemistry you get to have fun doing some experiments. I took both at A Level (well I dropped Physics after a year so I have an AS in that subject) and wished I could have dropped both. The jump up from GCSE science to A Level is stupidly big and hard but thats a rant for a different forum that understands what the hell I'm talking about.
  • edited February 2008
    Is it safe to say that physics is the snobbier of the two?
    Post edited by HungryJoe on
  • Physics, chemistry just didn't seem to grab that logic part of my brain the way physics and calculus did. I honestly didn't know how much I actually liked physics until I took chemistry and reflected upon my favourite classes.
  • Physics, as it's the only real science. Also physics teachers tend to be awesome in comparison to chem teachers, or at least they were when I was at Huron.
  • Sorry to go off on a tangent, but could someone briefly tell me if there is a great difference in general physics vs. physics with a mathematical focus? I'm pretty sure I know the difference, but some reassurance would be greatly appreciated.
  • Sorry to go off on a tangent, but could someone briefly tell me if there is a great difference in general physics vs. physics with a mathematical focus? I'm pretty sure I know the difference, but some reassurance would be greatly appreciated.
    From talking to some people in conceptual physics (without math focus), I've seen that it goes at a slower rate, and they don't have to do some of the busy work that we have to do in the regular physics. I think taking regular physics will give you an easier transition into college physics.

Speaking of physics, we got to mess around with a Van de Graaff generator in class today. Thats reason enough to take it over chemistry.