This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Getting an HDTV

edited February 2008 in Everything Else
I have been shopping around for a while now and I think I might be ready to buy one. I have been looking at online and brick and mortar stores but, the best deal turns out to be through my company.

My company has a deal with Sharp that lets employees buy their HDTVs for a big discount.

I am looking at the LC37D62U model link for $999 with free shipping (the link will show it at full price, it's the way you get there that shows the discount). There is one model higher in that size range for $100 more but I don't see anything impressive enough for me to pay the extra $100.

What do you guys think? Am I getting a good deal here or what?

Comments

• Well, I'd help if we actually had a working link, and I'm far too lazy to google it. :P
  • I fixed the link.
  • $1000 for a 32" TV? That's not a deal in any language. You can get a Bravia for LESS than that.
  • Even with the discount, I wouldn't buy a Sharp. They have banding problems. I'm a Samsung guy.
  • edited February 2008
    $1000 for a 32" TV? That's not a deal in any language. You can get a Bravia for LESS than that.
    32"??? It's a 37" LCD TV, 1080P and all.

I know some of the earlier Sharp Aquas TVs had problems but the newer ones are fine.

The 32" Bravia TVs I find under $1,000 are all 720P.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • First make sure you can return it if you don't like it. I bought a 32" HDTV almost 2 years ago now and I went through three different sets to get one that met my expectations. There is a lot of crap out there even from big companies like Sharp.

I like some of the Aquos line. The main problem I've seen is the backlight is over bright on some of the sets. I would head down to Circuit City or Best Buy and look a couple examples of that set before you buy. Samsung, Panasonic, Toshiba, and Sony are fairly consistent quality wise. I thought Sharp was in that group but lately I think they are falling off a bit. I have first hand experience with the first 3 companies I listed. I have 3 friends with 1080p Samsungs, I have a Panasonic, and I have a friend that has a Toshiba.

Here are a couple with a similar price that may be a bit better quality wise. The sexy Toshiba 40RF350 and the Samsung LN-T4061F are good sets. Yeah, I don't know what's up with tigerdirect but those are some good prices, ok I take that back, Amazon is just as cheap on the Samsung but not the Toshiba, and Newegg is higher.

Well gook luck, make sure your write down on the features you want when comparing TV's so you can keep track.
  • Save your money.
  • Damnit, where is that graph showing the benefits of 720p or 1080p at varying distances.
  • I've seen the graph. The room I will be putting the TV in has the TV about 10' from the couch.

I'm buying the 37" set at a special discounted price of $999.

My dad has an Aquas from the same model line and has had no trouble with it.
  • Damnit, where is that graph showing the benefits of 720p or 1080p at varying distances.
    Depending on your eyesight (that's why the chart sucks) at ten feet 720p and 1080p are effectively the same on a 40" TV. At this point there are less 720P sets being manufactured, and I doubt there are many good quality 720P sets available. You might as well buy 1080p. If you need a new TV...

I'm getting pretty disillusioned by the HD thing at this point. It is not life changing, there are still problems. Broadcast, cable, and satellite signals are compressed, there are artifacts, motion blur, and other issues. Blu-Ray is to expensive, and most HD packages from providers are way over priced. You end up with a TV that will give you nice looking broadcast HDTV and make SD look worse in most cases. In the case of HD Media I've compared HD-DVD and SD DVD's and yes there is a difference. If you claim that difference is spectacular you are kidding yourself. It's a more detailed picture but it doesn't change the over all experience. I would say a good surround system is a bigger, and better change than moving from SD to HD.
  • I agree with Mr. Dragon to a great extent, but I go a bit further. Please don't think this is luddite in any way, but: I just don't see it. That is, I just don't see how the HDTV is that much better that it translates into being worth that much more expense. If a decent HDTV cost even as much as $500.00 I might be a little more interested, but in my opinion, there are no TVs in existence worth nearly $1K.
  • I already have a killer surround sound system. I'm looking into the HDTV because I'm also looking into buying a PS3 (for Blu-ray more than gaming). I also want to free up some space in my living room and having a flat LCD TV that I can hang on my wall will help out greatly.

The current cabinet I have is about 40" wide and 24" deep. Behind the TV area is a closet so I might just cut a big hole in the wall and build a wall unit that backs into the closet. This will allow me to open up more space in the living room and have no visible wires. It will also make wiring easier as I will have full access to the back of all of the components. The only thing that will stop that idea is if some of my components are wider than 14" or so.
  • Wow, a closet behind the components. What a genius idea. I can't believe I never thought of it before.
  • Wow, a closet behind the components. What a genius idea. I can't believe I never thought of it before.
    If only my wife thought that way...
  • How would you get to the closet if you need to make further changes?
    The door.
    edited February 2008
    Depending on your eyesight
    Do you watch movies without your (NINEJA ATTACK!)subprescription(NINEJA OUT!) glasses or something?
    I would say a good surround system is a bigger, and better change than moving from SD to HD.
    Oh yes, certainly.
    Wow, a closet behind the components. What a genius idea. I can't believe I never thought of it before.
    Damn you internet! Interfering with my sarcasm detector!

Helpful post FTW!!!!!1!
    Post edited by ... on
  • Even with the discount, I wouldn't buy a Sharp. They have banding problems.I'm a Samsung guy.
    This user is 100% correct. I learned this from experience. My Aquos was beautiful, but it had major horizontal and vertical banding issues. My 40" Samsung that replaced it is perfect!
    The door.
    I'm probably not seeing this the same way are you guys are. I'm imaginging a giant entertainment center in front of a open closet and rush here siddling behind it to get to the wires.
  • I'm probably not seeing this the same way are you guys are. I'm imaginging a giant entertainment center in front of a open closet and rush here siddling behind it to get to the wires.
    This is a really bad drawing, but it is the limit of my skills when it comes to drawing with a mouse. Basically the back of the closet is the same wall that is behind the TV. You destroy the wall so you can walk from the closet straight into the living room. Then you fill that hole in the wall with your entertainment center. You can access the fronts of all your electronics from the living room and the back of all the electronics from inside the closet. All you need is one more hole in the wall for the video cable and the speaker wires. image
  • victor kudo
    Oh I see. Thanks.
  • If my wife lets me I'll make the hole in the wall and put a header and supports in. If she says no than I'll just run the cables from the amp to the TV through the wall (one hole behind the amp and one hole behind the TV). That way there will be no visible wires.
  • Broadcast, cable, and satellite signals are compressed,
    That is the very reason that I don't run out and purchase an HDTV.

I don't have time to watch movies. I just watch some occasional television. Is regular TV so bad that it HDTV is worth the investment? I don't think so.
  • I watch two or three Netflix movies every week. I'm also on the verge of buying a PS3.

I'm more interested in buying this because of the flat panel part. I could get a 720P set but this 1080P 37" set for only $999 with free shipping sounds like too good of a deal to pass up.
  • I'm more interested in buying this because of the flat panel part.
    Me as well. The #1 reason to get an LCD or plasma television is to save space by getting it wall mounted. The fact that it is HD is secondary. However, there's no reason to get a non-HD flat television, that is just stupid.
  • I watch two or three Netflix movies every week. I'm also on the verge of buying a PS3.

I'm more interested in buying this because of the flat panel part. I could get a 720P set but this 1080P 37" set for only $999 with free shipping sounds like too good of a deal to pass up.
    To be honest, I do notice a big difference between games and movies in 1080P vs 720P. Maybe not so much from far away, but when I'm within 5-6' I see a big difference between my PS3 (1080) and 360 (720). You can actually notice the difference right away with the interface. So IMO I think you should stick with a 1080P choice.
  • From the Front:

From the Back:

• Wow. Buying a rear projection TV like that is dumb in the first place, but putting the hole in the wall for it is double dumb.
  • I bet all that drywall dust is doing some great stuff to the insides of that TV.
  • Yikes! It looks like it's going to fall over.