This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080227 - Katsucon 14: part 1

edited February 2008 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights, we begin (but by no means finish) our coverage of Katsucon 14. In the news, ADV announces dates, including Project Blue Chikyuu, Trigun is getting a movie, and Slayers is getting another season.

Scott’s Thing - The Golden Bucket
Rym’s Thing - John (Garfield sans Garfield)

Comments

• edited February 2008
    By the way, Seriousfield is far superior to Garfield Minus Garfield. Also, it's spelled Jon.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • By the way,Seriousfieldis far superior to Garfield Minus Garfield.
    This must be a really common idea...
  • edited February 2008
    This must be a really common idea...
    (c) Randall Munroe.

And speaking of shitty comics made hilarious, Marmaduke Explained.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • edited February 2008
    I know about the "love-hate relationship" you guys have with Anime Pulse and that you guys think it is not really worth listening to them, but they conducted a really good interview with Greg Ayres during Nan Desu Kan last year.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • No news about Gurren Lagann, makes me sad.
  • The console room was in fact a pretty large pile of trash this year. We got totally screwed over for a lot of things and made stupid moves like having Tekken Dark Resurrection on a projector. Also DDR was only really up for the tournament and only had one soft mat.

Pete and Katsu were absolutely amazing though and we probably would have been epic fail without you guys helping out.
    Me too.

DDR got a bad treatment this year. Not only one pad but a crap pad at that.

With the move to the Hyatt Regency next year will the game room still keep it's charm? If I remember correctly the old school gaming area only existed in the Omni era. With the layout of the Hyatt, the growth of the con and the fact that Katsu already out grew it will everything we love be the same? AUSA handled the space nicely but I can't imagine what Katsu would do with it.
  • With the move to the Hyatt Regency next year will the game room still keep it's charm?
    GameKatsu is already working on that. We've got a few ideas, but I'm sure it will work out. We've got a year to plan it. ;^)
  • edited February 2008
    We've got a LOT less space for next year, but we're already planning how to set it up. We actually started doing it a bit before this year's con so hopefully it goes well. I also wouldn't call DDR's treament bad, it was awful. Those mats were broken last year. We actually had to fix them during the tournament at Katsu 13.

If you mean the arcade cabinets when you say old school then you don't have to worry those will be there again unless something awful happens. The only reason they were never at the Hyatt before was that the man who was responsible for bringing in Videotopia didn't start heading the department until the first year of the Omni.

Rym, any ideas you guys have for the game room let us know so we can work them into the early plans for the dead dog meeting on the 8th.
    Post edited by Chris on
  • Good to hear! Game Katsu in the Omni era tops the past Katsu's and a lot of other con game rooms! If the quality of it went sour in the 2nd Hyatt era it would be disappointing. ^_^
    I know! How can you guys not be excited about Gurren Lagaan! It's so good.

Podcast was great too, hearing about great cons makes me sad that I live in middle America, well I guess I could take a long weekend trip :(
  • The only suggestion I have for the game room is to stick to arcade cabinets that are the standard upright form factor. That way we can line them up side by side, back to back like an old school arcade. It will be the best way to get the most games in the least space.
  • The only suggestion I have for the game room is to stick to arcade cabinets that are the standard upright form factor. That way we can line them up side by side, back to back like an old school arcade. It will be the best way to get the most games in the least space.
    This man speaks the truth.

Optionally, depending on the configuration of the room, you could line the outer wall with the upright arcade cabinets, and concentrate the console tables in the middle of the room. This would cause the largest volume of people to gravitate towards the center of the room, and leave a sort of pathway around the room that circles the bulk of the crowd.

Also, I don't think you need 10 million Xboxes next year. :p
  • We were only going to do about 8.3 million Xboxes next year. All with Halo 2 in them.

Considering the odd shape of the room we have currently the arcade cabinets are set to be situated near the back of the room. If you saw the floor plan it would make sense. We're gonna be able to fit about 25-30 hopefully which is the minimum for Videotopia. We are planning to get mostly basic straight cabinets next year though. Maybe with the exception of pinball.
  • Maybe with the exception of pinball.
    Get two pinballs, then they can go together.

• And speaking of shitty comics made hilarious,Marmaduke Explained.
    Thank you for posting this.
  • Peace brothers.

About the spud-cast:
    Sounds like you guys are starting to find your place. Being on con staff is like being a bouncer at a frat party. You get to pass judgment on the rest of your peers and define what is and what is not cool. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

And for the n-th time, if you ever want a nice push-button live broadcast solution for some of these kick-ass panel ideas you have, just message me.

-davek
  • You're the Ghost Busters guy, right?
  • While listening to you talk about your experience in the games room with tournaments I had a sudden great idea. How about doing a sort of Omeganaut type tournament. I think that could potentially be very awesome.
  • While listening to you talk about your experience in the games room with tournaments I had a sudden great idea. How about doing a sort of Omeganaut type tournament. I think that could potentially be very awesome.
    Something like that is already in the works for Katsu next year. I wanted to try it this year but didn't start planning till a bit to late. It will involve a lot of old school entertainment if I can arrange it. And if Rym and Scott would care to include some of their more well known tournaments, such as Rampart that would be amazing.
  • Something like that is already in the works for Katsu next year. I wanted to try it this year but didn't start planning till a bit to late. It will involve a lot of old school entertainment if I can arrange it. And if Rym and Scott would care to include some of their more well known tournaments, such as Rampart that would be amazing.
    This is a great idea. I've already got some great ideas about how it will work out.
  • I would love to help out with such an event, I think it would be something awesome to run and also great for the con.
  • Well if you're at Katsu next year, make yourself known. It can't hurt to have extra people helping out.
  • edited February 2008
    I'm rather perturbed by your non aggressiveness to Kanon and your non anything to Gurren Lagann.

I'm saying this here and now, if Kanon is ADV's Voltron to GL being ADV's GaoGaiGar, then I will abandon ADV 100%.
    I can live without the Jing OVA.

Scott can also go play crusin' USA for not likeing TM OVA.
    Post edited by Conan-San on
  • Scott can also go play crusin' USA for not likeing TM OVA.
    I like Cruisin' USA, but I like Cruisin' World better.
  • My friend was at Katsucon, and he went "ZOMG" when he saw your Atari 7800.
  • Scott, make sure to buy the first Blue Earth SOS dvd. It has the first two episodes!
  • Scott, make sure to buy the first Blue Earth SOS dvd. It has the first two episodes!
    I just checked, and there are going to be 3 discs total. Right now the first disc is selling on Amazon for $27. That means the entire series will cost $81 for 270 minutes of anime. The Cowboy Bebop Box I just bought was 650 minutes of better anime for $40. Since the price is so ludicrous, I think we'll be Netflixing this series to make sure it's worth buying. If it's worth watching again, I'll buy the three disc set sometime down the road.
  • edited March 2008
    Wait till the vastly en-cheapened slim-pack comes out. Screw this whole 27 dollar for a disk for two eps.

They wouldn't make them if they were not still making money off them.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • They wouldn't make them if they were not still making money off them.
    Juding by the evidence, I think they would.