This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

how long did you watch anime when you came to your first con

edited March 2008 in Conventions
First Con I went to was Anime Expo 2007 and had been watching anime for 2 years

Comments

• I've been watching anime for... a year and half now, perhaps two and a half? Something like that. Never been to a con. The Netherlands... *sighs*
  • edited March 2008
    Depends what you mean. I was watching Pokemon when I was seven.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • My first con was Otakon 2004 and I had been watching anime since I was 8, so about 6 years.
  • Well what I mean how long have you been watching anime is how long have you known about anime and watched it. So if you knew Pokemon was anime since 7 i would count that.
  • Depends what you mean. I was watching Pokemon when I was seven.
  • I watched my first anime around 1978, I knew it was anime in the late 80's. I was actively seeking out anime to watch, purchase, or rent. I was not aware of anything like a tape trading club, or anime con until I first listened to AWO a couple years ago. I've yet to attend an anime con. That's what you get for growing up in Iowa.
  • I had been watching anime for a decade when I went to my first anime convention.
  • I'm actively watching anime now for about 8 years and have to go to a con yet, but that is mostly because of my geographical location and the lack of such events in my area.
  • The first convention I went to was Ohayocon 2 in 2002. Technically I had been watching anime since I was very young with Voltron and Transformers on TV. I had been watching anime and being an intentional knowing fan of it for at least 5 years by then thanks to the sci-fi channel and my friend's Akira VHS.
  • I'm sure like most others, I really didn't know what anime was until it was pointed out. I remember some of the earliest anime I watched was Voltron or Speed Racer. I knew it wasn't American animation, but it was the business. I guess you can say I've been watching anime off and on (pretty much when it was ever available to watch on television) for about 10 years. I went to my first anime convention in 1998. When I really knew it was anime was probably when I was 16, so it would be 2 years that I watched anime before my first convention.
  • I went to my first anime convention in 2001 with Big Apple Anime Fest. I had been watching anime on tv for a few months, maybe a year, at that point.
  • My first con was Tora-Con '07, at which point I had been watching anime (mostly bad shonen) for approximately seven years.
  • My first con was Otakon 2003. I guess I had been watching anime (that I knew it was anime) for about 2 or 3 years by the time I went.
  • Started watching anime before grade 4.. I can't remember when I met the girl who introduced me. I went to my first con in Winnipeg - Ai-Kon - in... grade 7? I think. I'm in grade 12 now...
  • Well I've been watching anime since i was around 4 years old, it was Drangon Ball Z. and now i am 15 and yet to go to any cons.
  • edited March 2008
    I watched Sailor Moon religiously from the day it started in YTV (August 28, 1995), and became aware of the concept of anime and the fact that Sailor Moon was one somewhere along the line while watching it (around the episode with Luna and that big fat cat, I think). I only really stuck with what was shown on YTV and other local channels, but I knew what I was watching was anime, at least. I also knew about a few other things thanks to a great book on anime my mom bought me early on.

I think I made the conscious decision to go out and seek more "exotic" anime in grade 7 because a bunch of Pokemon and Digimon fans on the internet kept talking about shows called Gundam Wing and Yu Yu Hakusho, which I didn't recognize at all. That lead to seeking out anime tapes at the video store, VHS fansubs, and the local free anime club. The anime club and its website in turn lead me to the website for Animethon 8, which was my first con, attended in 2001. :)

So, if you count starting from that Luna + fat cat episode of Sailor Moon, I had been a fan for about five-and-a-half years before attending my first con. If you count from the point where I decided to actively seek out anime beyond YTV's offerings, then I had been a serious fan for only a year or so before attending.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • I've been watching anime since 95 or 96 but I didn't know it was anime until 99-2000. Then I attended Katsucon 08 in 2002 on a school club trip and the fandom went into overdrive since.

13 cons later....I'm a friggin convention fangirl junkie. :p
  • I've yet to visit a con and have been watching anime actively for about 3-4 years.
    edited March 2008
    Well what I mean how long have you been watching anime is how long have you known about anime and watched it. So if you knew Pokemon was anime since 7 i would count that.
    You should rephrase your question. Something like, "How long did it take before you went to an anime con after discovering anime". At least that's what I answered. I didn't know about anime when I was a little boy, even though Alfred J. Kwak is anime. I remember nothing but a scene or two from the show, and of course the (Dutch) opener, which is still awesome to this day. And has the scariest grim reaper I've ever seen drawn.

Sum up, I've been watching anime since I was like four years old I guess, but only discovered 'anime' some years back and only actively started watching it one and a half to two and a half years back. No cons. :(
    Post edited by ... on
  • I didn't know about anime even thoughAlfred J. Kwakis one.
    Someone is fansubbing that.
    edited March 2008
    I didn't know about anime even thoughAlfred J. Kwakis one.
    Yup, they're at episode four. They're last update for it on AniDB was 2007-11-17. And why would I want it fansubbed? It's best in Dutch for it's originally written in Dutch. *adds clarification to previous post*

Note to self, consider renting the DVD's...
    Post edited by ... on
  • Heh.. I "discovered" anime at the same time I started watching it really. It was Vampire Hunter D, a little over ten years before I went to my first convention. I've been watching it knowingly pretty-much continuously since then, and even assembled a large collection of VHS releases and fansubs before I got to college.
  • I didn't know about anime even thoughAlfred J. Kwakis one.
    You got a link to that? I was trying to download it recently but didn't find a torrent for it.
  • edited March 2008
    Man, I'd wish I could find separate subtitles for this show, so I could follow my watch-stuff-in-it's-original-form policy eg watch it with Dutch dub.
    Post edited by Jain7th on
    edited March 2008
    You got a link to that? I was trying to download it recently but didn't find a torrent for it.
    On the fansubbers site they have a tracker page and releases page. The torrents are at the bottom. *joins the swarm*

Also from their (fansubbers) site:
    Alfred J. Kwak (Active)
    Alfred Jodocus Kwak is a Dutch-Japanese children's cartoon character created in 1989, based on a Dutch theatre show by Herman van Veen. Alfred J. Kwak is the main character in the self-titled cartoon series. Compared to other children's television series, Alfred J. Kwak features exceptionally mature and often sad themes. The cartoon is also notable for the political themes on which it touches. In the cartoon, Alfred fights against a fascist dictator, takes in refugees fleeing from a country under Apartheid, saves whales against hunters, and oversees the changeover of his country from an absolute monarchy to a constitutional monarchy. The anime is also unusual for the subtlety of its long-term narrative. In most children's cartoons, the characters do not age. In Alfred J. Kwak, we see the progress of the main characters from very young children to adulthood as the series progresses. This is particularly striking in the character of Dolf. At first a mere naughty schoolboy, we watch as his evil steadily progresses.
    <3
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited March 2008
    Also from their (fansubbers) site:
    Alfred J. Kwak (Active)
    Alfred Jodocus Kwak is a Dutch-Japanese children's cartoon character created in 1989, based on a Dutch theatre show by Herman van Veen. Alfred J. Kwak is the main character in the self-titled cartoon series. Compared to other children's television series, Alfred J. Kwak features exceptionally mature and often sad themes. The cartoon is also notable for the political themes on which it touches. In the cartoon, Alfred fights against a fascist dictator, takes in refugees fleeing from a country under Apartheid, saves whales against hunters, and oversees the changeover of his country from an absolute monarchy to a constitutional monarchy. The anime is also unusual for the subtlety of its long-term narrative. In most children's cartoons, the characters do not age. In Alfred J. Kwak, we see the progress of the main characters from very young children to adulthood as the series progresses. This is particularly striking in the character of Dolf. At first a mere naughty schoolboy, we watch as his evil steadily progresses.
    <3</p>
    Sadly I only saw a few episodes as a kid but it fascinated me even back then. If I ever should have a kid, I'd seriously want him/her to watch similar shows, most of the stuff, if I happen to see it, seems to be simply junk. Besides, does anybody here know Mole?
    Post edited by Jain7th on
  • Besides, does anybody here knowMole?
    I know him o.o. Have seen a few things about Mole, perhaps even an episode. Not much else.
  • Yay, the HnI release of Alferd J Kwak comes with Dutch and Japanese Audio! I love such quality releases.
  • i've been watching anime for nearly five years now, but I've never been to a con.
  • when I went to Fanime Con 1997, I was already 3 years into anime.