This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Kubuntu NIS server and client.

edited February 2008 in Technology
Could anyone help me out with configuring a kubuntu system as an NIS server and client?

Comments

• You want to setup a single sign-on? Do you want to use LDAP or what? Why Kubuntu?

You are having the same problem we have talked about many times. You have a problem, you have already decided on a solution, and are asking how to implement the solution. Tell us what your problem is, and the solution will be revealed.
  • Here's the deal: In my cisco class we have to do labs on a linux pc. The problem is that in the curriculum it is for redhat but our instructor had us install kubuntu instead (don' know why) on the pc. Much of the instructions in the curriculum do not work because the computer is setup dirrerently. For example in the current lab (the subject of the post) it says at one point Type in "domainname cisco1." Obviously this isn't going to work on because the computer was probably supposed to be setup with certain names and such, but wasn't.
    So basically the thing that is supposed to teach me how to do this can't and i'm stuck with the results. The even bigger problem is that I don't actually have to do this because I am in cisco 2 (we didn't do it last year), but everyone who tries to do it asks me how to do it thinking I must know how. So basically i'm being asked to teach something that I haven't even learned yet! I don't exactly know what to ask because I myself don't know what the problem is. I know at a macroscopic level but not a microscopic level.
  • Why not just ask the instructor to give applicable instructions? Or ask if you can install Redhat and follow the instructions.
  • It sounds to me like you are only learning the procedure to get the job done, but not so much what you are actually doing. If you understood what a command like "domainname cisco1" actually did, then you would be able to use Google and other adequate documentation to find out the equivalent commands in Kubunutu.

Actually, what you would find is that if you where to run the command sudo aptitude install nis that the domainname command would become available to you.
  • Thank's I'll try "sudo aptitude install nis" when I go back to class. I do agree that I pretty much am learning the procedure and not the actul stuff. All the class is, is reading the online stuff and doing a FEW labs and then being tested on it. We aren't actually taught, the instructor acts more like a class monitor most of the time. Although he knows the stuff I doubt he would create new instructions since all of the other work just comes from the cisco site.
  • Someone tell me what an NIS is. I wasn't interested at first, but it is a linux related topic so it might be worth me taking note.
  • Someone tell me what an NIS is. I wasn't interested at first, but it is a linux related topic so it might be worth me taking note.
    It's a directory service much like Microsoft's Active Directory. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Information_Service.
  • I do agree that I pretty much am learning the procedure and not the actul stuff. All the class is, is reading the online stuff and doing a FEW labs and then being tested on it. We aren't actually taught, the instructor acts more like a class monitor most of the time. Although he knows the stuff I doubt he would create new instructions since all of the other work just comes from the cisco site.
    Is this a college/university class? Because if so, you're getting shafted.
  • No, It's just a High school class. The principal decided to have a cisco class a few years ago, so that some students could be certified but noone has even taken the cert test yet. Mabye it has something to do with not being taught. It's basically an online class with a room and a teacher. I don't know how I'm going to pass the cert test.
  • I don't know how I'm going to pass the cert test.
    You probably aren't. Don't waste the money.
  • Well then what would be a good way to LEARN it so that I can pass it? I've pretty much given up on the class teaching me the stuff. It's not that I have a bad grade or anything I just want to actually be able to use the skills in real life. I bought a book on cisco but I don't know if that will help much. I agree with what you guys in that its hard to learn something without actually doing tht thing you are learning about, but what should that thing be?
  • Well then what would be a good way to LEARN it so that I can pass it?
    The Cisco self-study books, along with the included exercises, are actually really good. I have several of them for reference material.
  • Just curious, which certification is it?