This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

"Metal" is the best thread title here.

Comments

• edited March 2008
    Eh, whatever. It's usually difficult for me to tell the genre of a lot of bands. What about Protest the Hero?
    I have a new found respect for you. I hear their new album is amazing.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • New Children of Bodom. Album is due out in April.
    w00ts! That song is great. I'm looking forward to it.
  • This is the only album I don't have by CoB, I'll get it as soon as I can.
  • Is anyone here a fan of In Flames' old albums? I have an unhealthy love for the Clayman album lol.
  • edited March 2008
    In Flames (especially the old stuff) = win.

I have to say, though, that I'm not necessarily a fan of their newer stuff. The same goes for Soilwork. Everyone under the sun recommended Soilwork to me after hearing that I like In Flames; honestly, I wasn't impressed with their new stuff. The old stuff was alright, but the newest stuff is verging too much on metalcore for my tastes. I also find that I'm not a fan of Scar Symmetry and the like; the new pretenders to the Gothenburg sound really aren't up to snuff, IMNSHO.

EDIT:

I just realized that there is a disturbing lack of Manowar in this thread.

Fixed.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Les Claypool is a god amongst men. He's probably one of the most talented musicians around today.
  • That manowar song is good, but it becomes so much better once you feel the metal communities embrace, something which is almost gone. The I-don't-know-you-but-I-treat you-like-an-old-friend, thing, I miss those days.

Song's kick ass.
  • Eh, I think the brotherhood feel to metal is still there. The problem right now is that metalcore and hardcore metal are on the rise, and that's more tough guy/frat boy bullshit. It's very scene dependent now, I think; Albany, for example, has a HUGE local hardcore scene, and pretty much everyone who's in that scene is a douchebag. The classic metal and death metal crowds are still generally friendly.
  • But the "core" influences are seeping into the death metal scene, and sadly, the younger generation is digging that at the moment.
    Real death metal now are mostly balding dudes past their heyday.
    Classic metal is untouchable tough.
  • The newer stuff, yeah. A lot of good older bands are starting to take more and more metalcore influences.

Still, I see good comraderie in most places. Hardcore metal seems to the be the biggest offender as far as douchebaggery.
  • It's mostly 15 years old who think the own the world, but maybe it's just the difference in location, but where I live almost everyone is a douchebag.

On a related note, what's up with all the "hardcore dancing"? Since when does moshing count as dancing?
  • Hardcore dancing needs to die. It's not even really moshing; it's some weird combination of flailing around like a spastic idiot and break dancing. The really sucky part is that you can put like 6 hardcore dancers in a pit, or you can fit 50 normal moshers. 6 assholes can ruin your night.

Seriously. If anyone on this forum is guilty of hardcore dancing, I hate you and want you to die.
  • When I dance, I flail around like a spastic idiot. But that's more a coordination thing.
  • Hardcore dancing needs to die. It's not even really moshing; it's some weird combination of flailing around like a spastic idiot and break dancing. The really sucky part is that you can put like 6 hardcore dancers in a pit, or you can fit 50 normal moshers. 6 assholes can ruin your night.

Seriously. If anyone on this forum is guilty of hardcore dancing, I hate you and want you to die.
    Example
  • edited March 2008
    Priestess's Hello Master is a pretty good album.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6678551478218368754

Also, I don't know if you'd consider them metal, but Godspeed You! Black Emperor is pretty fucking amazing. They're album Lift Your Skinny Fists is so epic. You can find them on skreemr, but their songs are all around 15-30 minutes long.
    Post edited by whatever on
  • edited March 2008
    Example
    That's so retarded. All they're doing is kicking and punching wildly, bound to hit someone.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • edited March 2008
    Example
    That's so retarded. All they're doing is kicking and punching wildly, bound to hit someone.
    Well, they don't care about that. Incidental contact is bound to happen. The whole idea of moshing is to slam into people anyhow; you're not punching and kicking, but there's still contact.

The problem with hardcore dancing is that they try to avoid each other. You can have like 50 people enjoy a mosh pit, but you can only have like 10 guys hardcore dancing in the same space. It's sort of like the whole "form a circle around a bunch of dancing people and watch them dance," except as performed by assholes.

What's great is that a lot of hardcore dancers ACTIVELY ATTEMPT to run into the people who are NOT dancing. There are various "crowd killing" maneuvers that they pull, where they'll fling themselves or someone else into a bunch of unsuspecting bystanders. I remember when I was at the Summer Slaughter Tour last year, I watched this one persistent jackass kick another kid in the head. The kickee had done everything he was supposed to by the rules of pit etiquette to tell the guy to go away, but he kept coming back. Finally, kickee shoved the guy back into the pit pretty hard, so kicker came back and, well, kicked him in the head. A fight broke out and that was that.

This is why I hate hardcore assholes. They ruin everybody's fun.

Also, Priestess is cool.

EDIT: This is an example of proper moshing:
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Alright, everybody who's participated in this thread needs to check out Alestorm.

Scottish pirate metal.

Nothing more needs to be said.
  • Holy shit!

Pirate metal?

I think I just came.

On the subject of moshing, I think hardcore dancers should be tackled at until they're deep purple.

The best moshing one can do is doing a wall of death, the few second before all hell breaks loose are golden.
  • Anyone planning on seeing any show in the Progressive Nation 2008 tour? I'm going to the Albany, NY show.

For those who don't know, it's Dream Theater headlining, with Opeth, Between the Buried and Me, and 3.

Tour dates
  • Tour dates
    Woah, Liquid Tension Experiment reunion? Awesome.
  • Yeah, a Monday night in New York City = not gonna happen.

I'll have to settle for just seeing DT with Opeth.

• The best moshing one can do is doing a wall of death, the few second before all hell breaks loose are golden.

Oh my god, the wall of death is the most awesome "dance" ever...... A local metal band pulled one of those of a couple of weeks ago and it was brutal.
  • I bought front row tickets to the PN tour, on may 30, I will become a screaming fanboy.
  • Bumping this for Hella. Awesome band with The Advantage's drummer. If you like Machinae Supremacy, The Fall of Troy, or Tool, I strongly suggest you pick up Hella's latest album, There's No 666 in Outer Space.
  • This is teh awesome.
  • I have recently discovered Mercenary, a Danish melo-death band. They are pretty fucking fantastic. Go listen!
  • I heard of them but never caught on.
  • Animetal is my metal :P