This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights in Canada?

edited March 2008 in GeekNights
Question to Rym and/or Scott: have you ever considered coming to any Canadian anime conventions, such as Anime North? If the Frappr map is to be believed, you don't have that many fans in the Great White North, and that is just a travesty. There are plenty of Canadian geeks who would probably love to listen to GeekNights. I'm trying to convert as many friends as I can, but I can only do so much. It would probably be much easier to convert a lot of them all at once through something like, say, a live show or panel. Something like that. ;)

Seriously, though, my reasons for hoping are mainly selfish. You have no idea how much I'd love to see you guys in full form at a con, but I just don't have the funds to travel to the US and stay in a hotel (much cheaper flying within the country). If you guys were ever to come to something like Anime North in Toronto (be still my beating heart if you ever came to Animethon or Anime Evolution), I think I'd almost drop dead from glee. If you didn't, well, too bad for me, I guess. Maybe, MAYBE I'll be able to scrounge up enough to go to Otakon or Katsucon in '09 or '10, but putting money towards school is a big obstacle. Crossing my fingers here!

On a more general note: how many other forum-goers here are in Canada, or have Canadian connections (relatives, friends, enemies)?

Comments

• Canadia, eh? What's that all aboot?

Our new sailing coach is Canadian. We make Canada jokes and then run away before he kills us.
  • As someone who lives near the border, let me say that our dollar is now embarrassingly worthless in your great white north.
  • We have Pouttiiiiiiiine!
  • We like the Canadia, but we can only go to so many cons.
  • Are there any gaming conventions in Montreal - I live not too far from there. If so, can an anglophone get by?
  • Are there any gaming conventions in Montreal - I live not too far from there. If so, can an anglophone get by?
    As long as you stay two chevrons back and remember to bow to the east every hour in honor of the queen, you should be okay. I, too, grew up near Mount Royal, and the only things I hate about that city are 1) the moose will often cut across lanes downtown and cut you off, and 2) French-speaking jazz impressionist street gangs and their reign of terror.
  • edited March 2008
    *puppy dog eyes* ...Maybe you could switch out one of your other cons some year in the future?

*is shot like Old Yeller*

Just kidding. Good to know at least that I should be saving up for Otakon or something.

And from what I can tell in cursory research, there is a Montreal gaming con that was called RoyalCon, but will be called Draconis from this year onward. Their website isn't really up yet, but it and their forum both feature French and English, so I'd say that means you could probably get by. Maybe.

http://www.draconismontreal.ca/
    http://www.royalcon.ca/forums/index.php
    As long as you stay two chevrons back and remember to bow to the east every hour in honor of the queen, you should be okay. I, too, grew up near Mount Royal, and the only things I hate about that city are 1) the moose will often cut across lanes downtown and cut you off, and 2) French-speaking jazz impressionist street gangs and their reign of terror.
    Don't forget about avoiding the deadly, roaming Rick Mercers. ;)
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • I have some friends in Canada, and I am planning on going to AN this year.
    I must say, it is good to hear all of these warnings. I had no idea it could be so dangerous in the Great North.
  • We have Pouttiiiiiiiine!
    Poutine FTW! I grew up by Niagara Falls and my parents are from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan (lots Swedes up there, eh? All those Yoopers.) so its kinda like close to half Canadian? Near the Border? Maybe? I want to be? Anyway, I did spend a lot of time in Toronto and in other parts of Ontario when I was a youth. Now I am all NYC, but I'd like to come visit Canada again some time.