This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Comments

• edited March 2008
    Go Nagai
    Eiichiro Oda
    Osamu Tezuka
    Kiyohiko Azuma
    The team of Tsugumi Ohba and Takeshi Obata
    (Not in any particular order)

If it was purely for the person's art, Obata would be my favourite.
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • Top 10 in order. No, that's not a typo.

1. Osamu Tezuka
    2. Osamu Tezuka
    3. Osamu Tezuka
    4. Osamu Tezuka
    5. Osamu Tezuka
    6. Osamu Tezuka
    7. Katsuhiro Otomo
    8. Masamune Shirow
    9. Kazuo Koike
    10. Ryoichi Ikegami
  • edited March 2008
    Top 10 in order. No, that's not a typo.

1. Osamu Tezuka
    2. Osamu Tezuka
    3. Osamu Tezuka
    4. Osamu Tezuka
    5. Osamu Tezuka
    6. Osamu Tezuka
    7. Katsuhiro Otomo
    8. Masamune Shirow
    9. Kazuo Koike
    10. Ryoichi Ikegami
    Now are the Tezukas rated in order of your favourite works of his? (Is it just me or did that sound very awkward?)
    Post edited by Li_Akahi on
  • edited March 2008
    Note that those are personal favorites

Art:
    1. Takeshi Obata (Hikaru no Go, Death Note), clean and almost photorealistic art for clothing, very detailed
    2. Yusuke Murata (Eyeshield 21), his action shots are very very dynamic
    3. Eiichiro Oda (One Piece), believe it or not, but he is very good with this and evolved over the ten years that the series is running. Especially the buildings he fills the various islands with and the non-repetitiveness in them and consistency for recognizable buildings are pretty impressive
    4. Kiyohiko Azuma (Azumanga Daioh, but for me because of Yotsuba&!), very clean and consistent art style. I was very impressed seeing the city overview shot from a hill in the first volume of Yotsuba after mostly experiencing minimalistic yon-koma drawings in AD.
    5. Masashi Kishimoto (Naruto), not that special, but the warped perspectives he uses for some cover pages or for genjutsu are pretty impressive

Writing:
    1. Yumi Hotta (Hikaru no Go) Although HnG only had a rather limited repertoire of characters, all of them were very well written and Hikaru's growth as a player and as a person where very well executed
    2. Tsugumi Ohba (Death Note), I believe I don't have to explain that
    3. Rei Hiroe (Black Lagoon), some very well written characters and development of them
    4. Kio Shimoku (Genshiken), does very lifely and believable characters
    5. Eiichiro Oda, does very good foreshadowing and actually keeps tying loose ends up and doesn't use the deus ex machina too often or keeps it inside the bounds of the believable
    Post edited by chaosof99 on

• 4. Kio Shimoku (Genshiken), does very lively and believable characters
    Fuck yeah!
  • As this is somewhat related: Viga, are you the Viga who had the voice mail on the latest episode of SHAFT?
  • As this is somewhat related: Viga, are you the Viga who had the voice mail on the latest episode ofSHAFT?
    Same one.
  • Wow, Viga being personally brought up in a discussion filled with Tezuka? Girl, you've made it to the big leagues.
  • Why is Tezuka specifically the top 6?
  • Because Tezuka is that awesome.
  • Why is Tezuka specifically the top 6?
    I'm guessing he did that to show that Tezuka is that awesome and is his favorite mangaka by far....and then he put the other 4 to be nice and have a list of 5 different magaka like the OP wanted.

As for mine...Shit, I dunno. I read manga, but I barely ever read 2 or more things from the same author.
  • The big problem is that manga run for so long it's hard to pick writers with a track record, meaning ones that have written many series. So, not only are these my top five, they are the only five I could name off-hand.

1. Osamu Tezuka
    2. Katsuhiro Otomo
    3. Naoki Urasawa
    4. Kazuo Koike
    5. Go Nagai