This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080313 - Untitled

edited March 2008 in GeekNights
Tonight on GeekNights! In the news, a student is suspended for the purchase of contraband, and fully-subvocalized communication is possible.

Scott’s Thing - Christopher Hitchens
Rym’s Thing - It’s so easy to work up some nerds

Comments

• School clears kids in contraband candy caper.
    At my school, if you skip one class you get five days of detention. Not really fun.
  • At my school, if you skip one class you get five days of detention. Not really fun.
    Honors kids never "skip." They had band practice go late, or they were "helping Mr. So-and-so after the bell," or the Grammar Rodeo was in town. No teacher ever really questioned when an A student said they had a legitimate reason to miss class.
  • Honors kids never "skip." They had band practice go late, or they were "helping Mr. So-and-so after the bell," or the Grammar Rodeo was in town. No teacher ever really questioned when an A student said they had a legitimate reason to miss class.
    The problem with that, is that in my school the teachers email each other asking if what the student said was true. I would try to skip a couple days, but I can't get back into school without being confronted, and I don't have a secret door to sneak in with.

Also, I forget what you talked about in the last 'How Not to Suck at College', but I do remember that you didn't talk about picking colleges.
  • The problem with that, is that in my school the teachers email each other asking if what the student said was true. I would try to skip a couple days, but I can't get back into school without being confronted, and I don't have a secret door to sneak in with.
    Back in our day, only the kids knew how to use e-mail.
  • In my high school, having a Gifted and Talented Program card literally acted like a legitimate permanent hall pass. If you want to wanted to eat lunch outside or spend study hall in the computer lab, or skip English to go hang out in the library with your friends that little laminated pass was the ticket.
  • Nice to know that sometimes a muse takes a day off.
  • At my school, if you skip one class you get five days of detention. Not really fun.
    Even worse, our school sends a montly piece of paper for parents t o sign. It lists all the skipped classes and exams.
  • Rym’s Thing -It’s so easy to work up some nerds
    MY EYES! MY EARS! HOLY HELL RYM! You! You murderer! Gah. "I am biased, jigglypuff *KGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!*"
    Nice to know that sometimes a muse takes a day off.
    It could've picked a non-show day. Come on, 3 day weekends, even muses should be happy with that.
    Honors kids never "skip." They had band practice go late, or they were "helping Mr. So-and-so after the bell," or the Grammar Rodeo was in town. No teacher ever really questioned when an A student said they had a legitimate reason to miss class.
    Attendance is taken at each class via computer. Some teachers don't really care if you leave class(the good ones), and some are bitchy about it.
  • edited March 2008
    Fuel for the fire of the random "fluff" episodes vs. researched "actual topic" episodes battle: I thought this episode, which was about absolutely nothing and consisted mostly of Scrym shooting show ideas back and forth in the main bit, was hilarious and incredibly enjoyable. Laughed a whole lot, especially when Scott was zooming through Thursday shows one by one with a short comment for each. The last few minutes were also especially good. XD
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Also! Moar Rym busting out teh musics from his keyboard!
  • Honors kids never "skip." They had band practice go late, or they were "helping Mr. So-and-so after the bell," or the Grammar Rodeo was in town. No teacher ever really questioned when an A student said they had a legitimate reason to miss class.
    You don't need to be an honors kid. You just need to be overall respectable. XD I've never skipped, but plenty of times have been late or stayed at home, 'sick'. There was a couple times where I was trying to finish stuff up for the anime club, and my teachers just accepted it. *shrugs* Never had any troubles, really.
  • edited March 2008
    Yeah, guys, high school has changed a lot since when you guys were there...even if that was around 10 years ago.

At my school, if you skip a day of school and don't have a note from your parents saying why you weren't there, you get a double detention...and maybe more, they keep making the consequences harsher and harsher each year. Oh, also, forging is out of the question since they will call your parents to make sure you aren't bullshitting the school.

As for cutting classes...if you aren't there when attendance is taken, they'll send your name down to the attendance office and you'll need a pass the next day to get back into class......all in all, somehow, you will get found out, and you will get in trouble.
    The best I've been able to pull off is going up to the computer lab in the library during study hall once....yeah.
    It's also slightly possible to pull off walking into class 20 minutes to a half hour late, then getting a pass from a teacher that likes you to cover your ass. If you can't get that pass, you're screwed, though.

Also, I call bullshit about importing games being too much money! You just need to know where to look, and also wait for Play Asia to have sales and discounts...
    Ouendan 2 for $30
    Stafi 3 for $15
    Mother 1+2 for $30 (godly deal)
    Tales of Tempest for $15
    Tales of the world: Narikiri Dungeon 3 for $15

And ok, so those are only gba and DS games....but those are the 2 most common systems that I know of that are region free. But more often than not, if you just wait a few months after a game is released, you can get it for the same price or less than that of American DS games.
    For the love of God, don't buy from Mad Gear (convention dealer, I assume you guys have seen them since they go to Katsucon and Otakon) unless you've checked prices for stuff on the net. I bought fucking Rhythm Tengoku for $20 more than I could've gotten it on Play Asia...<_<.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • You can get the Johnny trade paperback for so freaking cheap, so do it. Get the trade of his other series too.
  • You can get the Johnny trade paperback forso freaking cheap, so do it. Get the trade of hisother seriestoo.
    Have you read his new comic, Jellyfist? Is it any good?
  • edited March 2008
    Have you read his new comic, Jellyfist? Is it any good?
    Yeah. If you like Vasquez, you won't be disappointed. There are some crap parts but also quite a few gems too. I say it's definitely worth getting.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • You can get the Johnny trade paperback forso freaking cheap, so do it. Get the trade of hisother seriestoo.
    Does that director's cut trade contain the entire series?
  • What website did you get you Dr. Pepper from, i am interested in ordering some.
  • edited March 2008
    You can get the Johnny trade paperback forso freaking cheap, so do it. Get the trade of hisother seriestoo.
    Does that director's cut trade contain the entire series?
    Yessir. Although, it doesn't have the Meanwhiles. Those were put in the Squee! book for an inexplicable reason. You should get both anyway because Squee is much more polished than Johnny and it's quite enjoyable.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • He also did a series of four short books called Fillerbunny that, as far as I can tell, haven't been put into a trade yet. They are hilarious and very cute, like a twisted Owly. If you can find them for cheap, I suggest you pick them up.
  • edited March 2008
    What website did you get you Dr. Pepper from, i am interested in ordering some.
    I believe they were talking about Dublin Dr. Pepper. Here is where you can buy it.
    Post edited by Diagoras on