This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080312 - Kick-Ass

edited March 2008 in Anime
Tonight on GeekNights, In the news, Crunchy Roll gets $4 million in capital despite Funimation’s strongly worded letter, and Bone movie might actually happen.

Scott’s Thing - Osamu Tezuka’s “Jumping”
Rym’s Thing - Katsu(con)

Comments

• How far did you get into Avatar?
  • The thought of a Bone movie gives me a boner.
  • That is probably my favorite video from this years Katsucon. Oh and the guy in the red didn't know his opponent had any sort of training. He was also under the impression he knew how to "fight" with a sword. That's why I went to get Katsu when I saw him screwing around.
  • IMO Avatar is a pretty good show up until the North Pole, where it really kicks into awesome gear. This continues to at least halfway through season 3, with only a couple of mediocre episodes.
  • That is probably my favorite video from this years Katsucon. Oh and the guy in the red didn't know his opponent had any sort of training. He was also under the impression he knew how to "fight" with a sword. That's why I went to get Katsu when I saw him screwing around.
    Awesome, the vid is also really amazing. As for Avatar, perhaps I should go follow it. What I've seen was goooood~
  • I've been looking at the Crunchy Roll article and it seems that the reason people buy the badges is that the higher quality versions are dependent on buying a badge.
  • I've been looking at the Crunchy Roll article and it seems that the reason people buy the badges is that the higher quality versions are dependent on buying a badge.
    That they are. I'm ashamed to say I used to be a member of that site.
    Also, unless you want to be hit with concentrated Anti-FRC Forums rays, don't go to their forums. :/
  • Also, unless you want to be hit with concentrated Anti-FRC Forums rays, don't go to their forums. :/
    Huh? What is this you speak of?
  • Also, unless you want to be hit with concentrated Anti-FRC Forums rays, don't go to their forums. :/
    Huh? What is this you speak of?
    Threads such as "When is ur bedtime" and "Where do u wach most of ur anime".
    *Shudder*
  • Threads such as "When is ur bedtime" and "Where do u wach most of ur anime".
    *Shudder*
    Shhh. Don't speak of such things. You might inspire some people to do that here. -_-
  • Shhh. Don't speak of such things. You might inspire some people to do that here. -_-
    Tempting. I should remember those titles for a future topic.
  • So evry1! when is ure bedtime! :) !!!!!! Do u leik animes! my faves r naruto and bleech!!!11!!1!!!

(It takes longer for me to type wrong on purpose for some reason.)
  • (It takes longer for me to type wrong on purpose for some reason.)
    It's because you have to turn off all reason and logic in your mind and become a complete idiot for a few moments to do it. Or think 2 letters ahead and type with one finger, which I suppose they are one in the same.
  • So evry1! when is ure bedtime! :) !!!!!! Do u leik animes! my faves r naruto and bleech!!!11!!1!!!

(It takes longer for me to type wrong on purpose for some reason.)
    liek omg, ur a grrl rite/ u only liek grly animez liek luv hina and sailr moon. DBZ FTWWWWWW!!1!11one!1!!
  • I have stared into the abyss, and the abyss has stared back at me....
  • edited March 2008
    Sheepish to say that I do have an upgraded membership on Crunchyroll. Should I expect to be pelted with a variety of virtual rotten fruits and vegetables? :(

The only reasons I upgraded my account are 1) the site actually limits the number of files you can watch in a day if you're just a normal viewer, and 2) the high-quality versions of the episodes are marginally worth it (mostly for the audio, actually; the video is good if it's a slow scene or still/talking-head frames, but if there's a lot of motion in a scene, the pixelation is still crap). The badges I could care less about, and the forums... yergh, I try to pretend they don't exist, for the exact reasons already stated above. ><
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • The real problem I have with Crunchy Roll is that they go against the age old fansubber's code. Notice how every fansub says "not for sale or rent?" That's how fansubbers have always maintained the moral high ground against copyright arguments. They were never making a profit off of someone else's work. They were just providing art to people who could not otherwise access that art, and they stopped doing so once some company provided the art legallly. Crunchy Roll with their memberships are basically selling/renting fansubs, which is not so cool.
  • edited March 2008
    Although, VHS fansubs were allowed to be "sold" provided that the price only covered the cost of the blank VHS tape and sometimes the time the person spend recording the fansub for you. Crunchyroll memberships are so cheap, I would think that that just goes toward covering the site's gigantic file hosting and data transfer costs.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Although, VHS fansubs were allowed to be "sold" provided that the price only covered the cost of the blank VHS tape and sometimes the time the person spend recording the fansub for you. Crunchyroll memberships are so cheap, I would think that that just goes toward covering the site's gigantic file hosting and data transfer costs.
    If that were the case, it would be fair. However, venture capitalists don't invest 4 million dollars into a non-profit.
  • edited March 2008
    I just looked at Crunchyroll's donation page, and they just put up a new message stating that they will no longer be taking donations, and that the high quality videos are now open to everyone. This makes me glad to see, because I felt bad enough as it was giving money to a shady streaming site. However, parts of the message do give credence to my view that the money from memberships was going toward site costs, not profits from the fansubs.
    "Hihi guys, as you all know, crunchyroll has always been supported by generous donaters who believe in crunchyroll's cause. With your tremendous help, CR has grown to what it is today! I would never have been able to support the expensive bandwidth bills without you guys, so MANY thanks! =D

Good news though -- Recently I found out ways to lower my bandwidth bills (it involves using P2P technology ;P) so i won't need donations anymore! And even BETTER, EVERYONE can now watch high quality videos now!

But there are plenty others who really need the support! From now on, ALL donation proceeds will go to whoever you want~! Just pick from the dropdown menu below...and 100% of your donation will be given to whoever you feel needs the most help =)"
    There are three options in the dropdown menu: Gonzo/GDH, Mook DLE (Dream Link Entertainment), and Other (specify).
    Although, VHS fansubs were allowed to be "sold" provided that the price only covered the cost of the blank VHS tape and sometimes the time the person spend recording the fansub for you. Crunchyroll memberships are so cheap, I would think that that just goes toward covering the site's gigantic file hosting and data transfer costs.
    If that were the case, it would be fair. However, venture capitalists don't invest 4 million dollars into a non-profit.
    I would think that they invested because they saw the potential for profit in ad revenue. As the update states, the site will no longer be getting a lot of money via the memberships.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • I would think that they invested because they saw the potential for profit in ad revenue. As the update, the site will no longer be getting a lot of money via the memberships.
    Yes, but even if you are making profit from ads, you are still making profit. You are using fansubs to attract people to the site to see ads. The fact there there was no money making involved in fansub distribution is what kept it from crossing many ethical lines despite crossing legal lines.
  • edited March 2008
    I don't follow. I don't claim to be the sharpest tool in the box, so please explain your reasoning to me in detail if I'm mistaken at any point (please, don't read any sarcasm in that statement; I honestly want to know).

I would think that with this move, the whole site essentially becomes free for anyone to come to now, as it should be with fansubs. No one is being charged for the fansubs themselves - all profit would be coming in solely from the ads, which are separate from the fansubs. I understand that the site is still squarely in gray waters and that there are still many other issues to be resolved, but I just don't think this particular "profit from fansubs" point is entirely right, since the profit isn't coming directly from the viewing of the fansubs.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • I would think that with this move, the whole site essentially becomes free for anyone to come to now, as it should be with fansubs. No one is being charged for the fansubs themselves - all profit would be coming in solely from the ads, which are separate from the fansubs. I understand that the site is still squarely in gray waters and that there are still many other issues to be resolved, but I just don't think this particular "profit from fansubs" point is entirely right, since the profit isn't coming directly from the viewing of the fansubs.
    The only reason they can make money from the ads is because people are looking at their site. Far fewer people would look at their site if the fansubs were not there.

Let's say this is the olden days of VHS fansubs. I gave away the tapes at cost of blank tape and shipping, but someone else paid me money to put commercials on the tapes along with the fansubs. I'm using someone else's creative work, without permission, to attract eyeballs to ads which I make money from.

If you are making fansubs and not making any profit for yourself, you at least have an ethical argument that you are spreading art around the world. If you are using the fansubs to make profit, or to help make profit, you lose this legality argument as well as the ethical argument.
  • edited March 2008
    Thank you, that makes much more sense than what you said before. *jumps ship from her previous argument* I can't guarantee that I won't still visit Crunchyroll, since they have an amazing selection, not all of which is easy to get via torrent (I had just started watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes), but I can say that I'll probably be visiting AnimeSuki more often now for more recent releases.

EDIT: By the way, did anyone notice that there's an update to the Crunchyroll story? I sort of mentioned it above, but they were contacted by GONZO/GDH and are currently "trading ideas about what [they] can do together so everyone will benefit." Interesting. I wonder if they'll get more support like that in the future. Maybe they'll end up gradually legitimizing themselves by phasing out the illegal streams in favour of legal, industry-supported streams, as Rym described on the show.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2008-03-13/gonzo/gdh-reportedly-contacts-crunchyroll-video-site
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • (it involves using P2P technology ;P)
    . . .

I hope they stay the hell away from bittorrent. If they start webleeching just for their profit I will block that damned site on every level I can.
  • edited March 2008
    I personally hate Crunchyroll. You have to pay for some stuff, and the quality is shit. Seriously, I'd buy bootlegs (well, on purpose...I've accidentally bought them before, though) before buying a Crunchyroll membership.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • You have to pay[...]
    Please read the whole thread. I already posted that you now no longer have to pay for Crunchyroll.
  • You have to pay[...]
    Please read the whole thread. I already posted that you now no longer have to pay for Crunchyroll.
    Well yeah, I understand how it works. Even in the beginning you never had to pay (you just needed to register)...so I guess I should reword my post....
  • I hear there is a Kick-Ass movie in the works and as of May 2008, is in preproduction.
  • I hear there is a Kick-Ass movie in the works and as of May 2008, is in preproduction.
    DVD for the win.