This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Bear Stearns

edited March 2008 in News
I don't have much to say about this, I just want to keep some conversations going. I also know that some people here love to cry about the sky falling when it comes to economics, so here's your chance to have at.

Actually, I do have one thing to say. Apparently JP Morgan is going to pay $236 million to buy Bear Stearns. I heard that the Bear Stearns office building on Madison Avenue in NY is apparently worth more than $236 million. That's just cold.

Comments

• Yea, it went from like 176 dollars a share in Jan to being sold for like 3 dollars. I'm glad that wasn't my investment.

Bear Stearns should have watched where it's money was going.
  • The company was worth 3.6 billion or some amount like that and was sold for 236 million. Ya, it seems like the world as we know it is slowly changing. And we all know economical change is never for the better nowadays.
  • Ya, it seems like the world as we know it is slowly changing. And we all know economical change is never for the better nowadays.
    Well, we know that whatever happens, it won't affect Scott.
  • Ya, it seems like the world as we know it is slowly changing. And we all know economical change is never for the better nowadays.
    Well, we know that whatever happens, it won't affect Scott.
    This week is no different from the last.
  • I heard that the Bear Stearns office building on Madison Avenue in NY is apparently worth more than $236 million.
    Does that actually mean the company is worth negative money?
  • That actually makes a lot of sense, what with all the debt floating around.
  • I heard that the Bear Stearns office building on Madison Avenue in NY is apparently worth more than $236 million. That's just cold.
    Well, if they have more debt than assets it does not matter what that property is worth. By buying the company JP Morgan assumes title to all assets and liabilities (debts).
  • I heard that the Bear Stearns office building on Madison Avenue in NY is apparently worth more than $236 million. That's just cold.
    Well, if they have more debt than assets it does not matter what that property is worth. By buying the company JP Morgan assumes title to all assets and liabilities (debts).
    Yeah, but I sure would like to own a building.
    Yeah, but I sure would like to own a building.
    Have you considered getting a plot of land and building a geodesic dome for the Geekhaus? There is one not too far from me and we almost bought one about five years back. (It had a mold problem so we did not buy it.)

With a dome you can build the core habitat first and then build off smaller single-purpose domes as money permits. It will end up looking like some sort of lunar colony after a while.