This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Sibling Relations

GeoGeo
edited March 2008 in Suggestions
How is/was your relationship with your sibling(s)? This doesn't apply to people who were only children.

Comments

• I'm the youngest of three kids and the only girl. My eldest brother and I didn't interact as much, because he went to college when I was in grade 7 (graduated a year before, I believe). He's a quiet guy too. My other brother still lives with us, and he graduated when I was in grade 8 I think. We tend to bug each other much more and he drives me nuts with the whole 'still living with mother' and almost rarely having a job.

Otherwise, I think the actual interaction is good.
  • I have a sister. She's 2ish years younger than I am. We have damn near nothing in common...we usually get into arguments and fights all the time.

:/
  • My kid brother is 6 years younger than me, and we have a... weird relationship. He wants to be a geek, kinda, but he also doesn't. We'll be fighting and near blows one minute, and talking about Solid Snake the next.
  • edited March 2008
    For me personally I got along famously with my older and younger brother right up until each hit their early 20's. Then the relationships crumbled. It seemed to have been a combination of partners adding to the chaos and each of us becoming more individual. Now my older brother and I don't get along that well, and I do not speak to my younger brother since he married (after 9 days) an incredibly obnoxious Canadian girl. The kind of person that has an irrationally high opinion of oneself and insists on letting people know her achievements about it every third sentence (what is that personality type called?). My younger sister is significantly younger but we get along very well.

The way siblings interact is an interesting one. I was talking with my older brother and his partner one day about the position a child has in a group of siblings. She said that the oldest child has to deal with the most shit and that is why they have a chip on their shoulders. I had not heard that before. I have very much heard of middle child syndrome because I am the middle child so people love saying, "oh he is a typical middle child" whenever I am being difficult. But the idea of the eldest having a chip on their shoulder was a new thing that got me thinking about the other families I knew.

Now clearly there are far more variables at work than just some order of birth in a family, however I can easily imagine that it would have an impact. Despite being a family of four my youngest sister behaves like a spoilt only child. The gap between her and my younger brother is very large though so for the most part she may as well have been. I have pair or niece and nephews where both display similar strongly individual characteristics, rarely getting along, and I wonder if that is because one is a boy and the other is a girl. The different sex means they share less in common and therefore associate less. My cousins are two boys, and they get along very well, as one would expect brothers too. My wife is the youngest of a family of four and gets along best with the sister nearest to her in age. It appears to be all very confusing, I'd love someone to post a link to a paper on the personalities and characteristics of children based on gender and birth order.
    Post edited by sime on
  • I have an older sister. She's 14 years older than me and was a hikikomori. Our beliefs are way different her being a "christian" (huge ass quotes!) and me being the complete opposite. She's not all there in the head. She started having more episodes and attacking me and mom and destroying things. Now she's far away where she can't hurt anyone or herself. It's been a long time since I seen her but it's for the best.

Then there's Matt and Cess who I call my older bro and young sis. They've been my friends for a long time and fills that void of not having a close sibling. I consider them and their child my family just as much as my own. Yeah we get in disagreement sometimes but no where past "You're an uncle fucker!" "You suck balls at Halo!" "Stop fucking whining, Viga!" type fight. :P
  • my youngest sister behaves like a spoilt only child. The gap between her and my younger brother is very large though so for the most part she may as well have been.
    Yeah, that was the case with myself. Man, I want to go back in time and give myself a proper whooping.
  • I have a younger brother, who is about to graduate from college, and I have a younger sister who is about to enter college. Now that we are all basically adults, we get along just fine. When we were kids this wasn't always true, but siblings fighting with each other as children is the way of the world.
  • I'm the youngest, and have two sisters. The oldest I don't talk to that much. She messed up her life quite bad during high school, but has turned that around in the last couple years. I see her fairly regularly, since she works for my parents.

My other sister I talk to quite a bit more. She's three years older and is one of the loudest people you'll meet. When we were kids we'd fight a lot, sometimes with fists, and I would get my ass kicked. It sucks having a sister who was a tomboy (stronger than me) with basically a blackbelt in Karate (knows how to fight). Now that she's in college we have a solid relationship.

Neither of my sisters are into anything geeky, or really have anything in common with me.
  • I fought constantly with my older sister, until I punched her in the face (i was about 13) after that, we are actually like best friends, and have been for over 12 years now
  • When my brother and I lived in the same house I didn't do much with him. He was the "problem child" and quite literally, wasn't all there in the head. He was always either locked up in his room or in special schools so there really wasn't much interaction between us. When my parents got divorced (which he was one of the catalysts of, by the way), he moved in with my dad and I haven't seen him for any extent of time for nine years. I have heard some horror stories, such as him loaning my dad's car to some of his friends and them stealing it. My dad is finally going to kick him out and my mom is terrified of him trying to live with us. So, I guess what I am trying to say is that even though we didn't interact very much, I have not had a very good experience with my brother.
  • until I punched her in the face
    I can't stop laughing. Somebody get a Medic.
  • He was the "problem child" and quite literally, wasn't all there in the head.
    You're the smart, well-behaved one?
  • He was the "problem child" and quite literally, wasn't all there in the head.
    You're the smart, well-behaved one?
    Surprisingly yes.
    edited March 2008
    until I punched her in the face
    I can't stop laughing. Somebody get a Medic.
    Damn you Zeehat, I must admit I snickered at the perhaps somewhat casually phrased(/looking?) sentence, but THAT comment of yours made me laugh loud. It's not a laughing matter!

As for siblings, I have a little brother, he's two years and 11 months younger than I am. When we were younger we went to the fist, well, biting, clawing, tugging hair and trying to kick while wrestle-dancing, once in a while when the kettle once again overflowed. Now we just argue once in a while which sometimes results in him just mockingly calling me names. Ah well, he's still fully in the puberty phase, so what can you expect? He tends to misbehave to whomever he has something with, with absolutely no regards to respect. In our own family though.

And is there a specific word in English for the kind of family of only the parents and their kids, like in Dutch? Thus excluding aunts, uncles, grandparents, etc.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Nuclear family
    You people need a single word for that. 'Gezin' is so much easier and makes so much more sense than 'nucleaire familie'.
  • edited March 2008
    My sis works for a local (read "I'm in Glasgow, she's in Dundee") christian children's camp so we don't talk as much as we normally do but when she is at home we will often get into weird little discussions. Which series of Digimon is the best our current battle.

Don't ask, Digimon is one of the few anime we both enjoy.
    Post edited by Conan-San on
  • Hey, Digimon is the shit! I love that show. 5th season didn't catch me though.
  • The moment in Season one (iirc) where that Orange dino thing turns into this HUMONGOUS SKELETAL MONSTER CAPABLE OF AND WILLING TO DESTROY EVERYTHING AND EVERYONE, meant the peak imo of Digimon. After that a few more neat moments, but nothing topping that monster. :) It had a torpedo liver for christs sake!
  • Apocalymon topped that until (everyone beat him with the power of their inner crest traits and the ability to digivolve without the digivices!!!! Kyaa!) Yes, I am a fangirl.
  • I have an older brother who is 6 years older than me and we don't really get along. I try to behave when we are with our parents, but it ends up with us arguing and then I get blamed for it all. I'm still bitter about a few things, however for most part I try not to think about it or let it go.

Whenever we are around eachother he always tries to belittle me or talk about how he's so much more superior because he graduated from college and is a Captain in the Army and how he is so important for the military and how he followed in my parent's footsteps with going into the military. I think it's all bullshit and try to pay no mind, but at times when we try to have a conversation about politics it ends up in a "I'm right, you're wrong" argument.

He's a republican and supports G.W. and thinks he has done no wrong. I can't argue with that mentality, so I just be quiet and ignore him.

I don't think my brother's horrible or anything, it's just we don't really connect. He is geeky though. I remember always seeing him have friends over and they would be there all night playing D&D while listening to the Conan, The Barbarian soundtracks. However, now he's tries to come off as the more macho type. He plays video games and swears by the PS3 and how all the video games I play are inferior. I think he seriously has a inferiority complex.

I do remember some good times with him though. When my parents would have company over, that's when my brother and I knew we could totally mess around and do stupid shit and not get in trouble. However, when it came to end of the party, my father would yell for us, get his belt, and we would get our whooping for acting a fool. This was the routine for a while.

One day, when my parents had a party and my parents saw us acting up, we knew we were going to get it afterwards. My brother than told me, "Hey, Rochelle. At the end of the party, let's put on ALL our underwear so when Dad spanks us, it won't hurt as much." I thought to myself, "Oh my god, that's BRILLIANT!"

So we put on all our underwear. It must have been probably 10 pairs or so. My father yells for us, gets out the belt and tells us to pull down our pants. We comply. He then looks at us and goes, "What the fuck is this?". We give him an innocent naive look. He then tells us to go to our rooms and go to bed. We could hear him laugh as we left. No spankings for that night. ^^

• One day, when my parents had a party and my parents saw us acting up, we knew we were going to get it afterwards. My brother than told me, "Hey, Rochelle. At the end of the party, let's put on ALL our underwear so when Dad spanks us, it won't hurt as much." I thought to myself, "Oh my god, that's BRILLIANT!"

So we put on all our underwear. It must have been probably 10 pairs or so. My father yells for us, gets out the belt and tells us to pull down our pants. We comply. He then looks at us and goes, "What the fuck is this?". We give him an innocent naive look. He then tells us to go to our rooms and go to bed. We could hear him laugh as we left. No spankings for that night. ^^
    This made me laugh so hard.
  • One day, when my parents had a party and my parents saw us acting up, we knew we were going to get it afterwards. My brother than told me, "Hey, Rochelle. At the end of the party, let's put on ALL our underwear so when Dad spanks us, it won't hurt as much." I thought to myself, "Oh my god, that's BRILLIANT!"

That's a great story.
  • Nuclear family
    You people need a single word for that. 'Gezin' is so much easier and makes so much more sense than 'nucleaire familie'.
    Another way to say it is immediate family. I have no idea if that helps any more. Although, I agree that 'gezin' is much shorter than either nuclear family or immediate family.
  • My bro is an asshole, but he's one of those cool assholes who's so amazingly funny and geeky that for some strange reason your fist doesn't actually reach his face. We get along great.