This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Your convention circuit and history

edited July 2007 in Conventions
Since it is summer time and that's when most conventions seem to happen, and after listening to various older pod-casts of Scott & Rym talking about conventions, what conventions do all of you attend year round? Also, what other conventions have you heard about that you want to go to?

For myself, living in Washington, I'm lucky to have a few conventions here that I can go to without having to spend a lot of money on travel costs. My main conventions are Sakura Con, Emerald City Comicon, and PAX.

For Sakura Con, I've been going and have been on staff for the past 8 years. I started as a video squatter, then became an Info booth lackey, and eventually got my way to be a guest liaison. Being a guest liaison was probably one of the more fun experiences to be on staff. You get to basically chill with guests, be behind the scenes, and at night go out with the guests and drink and hear funny anime industry type stories. I'm not sure if I'll be on staff next year, I might want to actually go to the con to experience the con. But as for anime conventions go, I think Sakura Con is one of the bigger west coast anime conventions and I expect it to keep on growing.

This year was the first year I went to Emerald City Comicon. The main reason I went was to meet the creators of Powers and to get my comics signed as well as Scott Kurtz from PvP. It was a pretty decent convention and I was able to discover some pretty cool webcomics and other comics. I probably will go next year to just have something geeky to do.

For PAX, I went the first year (which was awesome), was on staff the 2nd year (which was even cooler), and the 3rd year, I just skipped entirely due to finances. I do plan on going this year, and I'm very excited to attend. Just hearing about some of the things happening there, makes me squee with giddiness, and plan on staying awake as long as I can to experience everything I can. This year it's apparently at a new location, an even bigger location with a lot more awesome stuff.

Hopefully next year I will be able to afford going to an out of state convention. Gen Con Indy and Otakon are the first 2 out of state conventions that I would go to before any others.

So yeah, that's my personal history with conventions. I would love to hear what conventions everyone else goes to! ^_^

Comments

• I started going to Otacon in 1996 when it was in A SINGLE HOTEL. I even have the program. I've also been to a couple of Katsucons and a couple of Toracons.
  • Otacon
    That is a bit sad ArtBoy. I hope you just made a typo.
  • RymRym
    edited July 2007
    Way back before uni, I used to hit up a fair number of gaming cons/lan parties in and around the midwest.  I usually went alone and simply played games.
    My first anime convention was Ohayocon 2.  It to this day stands apart as the absolute worst convention I have ever attended.  The sheer awfulness of the affair, however, actually ended up an unexpected boon.  Most of the panels were rescheduled/delayed/cancelled.  In particular was the How to Run an Anime Club panel.  The panelists didn't show, so we walked up to the front of the room and ran it as our own.  It would be the first of many...  We also learned of Big Fire, and I won the Duck Hunt tournament handily.
    Fast forward to Otakon that same year.  The same panel had the same problem and we, feeling bold, took the same route.  We've run that panel at Otakon ever since.  In fact, that was the only Otakon I've ever paid to attend.
    Anime Central 2002 stands out for being particularly awesome.  The story is long, but I'll tell you that it ends with myself, Scott Johnson, and Luke running a CRAZY afterparty in the presidential suite of the con hotel.  I tended bar with Luke while Scott entertained the crowd.  It was a smashing success, especially considering that the suite wasn't even ours.
    We ran the same party at Acen 2003 with similar success, at least until the fire alarm went off and the party was forcibly disbanded.  There's an interesting story about ScoJo ninja-sneaking the guests back into the room behind the back of the security guards posted to prevent our party's reformation.
    I hit up my first Katsucon with ScoJo and Bruce the last year it was in Crystal City.  Unlike other cons, Katsu was, shall we say, suffused with the warm glow of Southern Comfort.  The three of us had one hell of a time, and I particularly remember having bourne witness to the most phenominal cock-blocking action the world has ever seen.  It was epic.  The resulting revenge was equally epic.  ScoJo and I ended up working security semi-randomly: my first staff job at a con.  I won't deny that we might have used our security badges to circimvent a line or two...  Man, that was one hell of a con.
    The Katsucon after that was equally awesome for entirely different reasons.  I spent much of the con hanging out at the hotel bar.  Our good friend Tex introduced us to some fascinating people, and I achieved epic-level drunkenness.  I also, as destiny dictated, met a young man named Daryl Surat, who interviewed me for his podcast.  Our room was at the top of a side stairwell that let directly to the center of the con.  Many stories were made.
    Our second and third Otakons were mildly noteworthy.  We'd abandoned the con-chaff in the crew and sprung for much better hotel rooms at the Renaissance.  We've been staying there every year and plan to for some time to come.  Otakon, over the years, became more and more like a pilgrimage for the FRC, seeing eachother being more the goal than the actual convention itself.
    I attended my first Ubercon back when I was still working at IBM.  I lived a couple hours away, so I just drove down for Saturday.  Made it to the finals in the sanctioned Settlers of Catan tournament, played a demo of some strange indie gaming system called "Burning Wheel," and even brought my horn to jam at the late-night jam session.  By happenstance, I ended up spending much of the con hanging out with a bunch of cool webcomic artists, since our friend Aido was actually a guest of the con, and she did me the courtesy of introducing me to society. ^_~
    I dragged Scott and Pete to the next Ubercon, where they fell in love with Burning Wheel.  We then dragged much of the rest of the crew to another Ubercon where, additionally, we attended as guests.  (Ubercon is very nice to its guests: we were duly impressed).  I expect to be at every Ubercon to come for as long as I'm still gaming.  We're hopefully going to have a live show or two at the next one.
    Animazement was a con that our friend Nuri had been bothering me to attend for quite some time.  I'd missed them all due to money/time concerns, but last year I finally had the opportunity to fly out there for one.  I ended up staffing as crowd control and helping run the Artist's Alley.  I also ended up standing in a tree for several hours entertaining a large and unruly mob.  I also ended up sharing a beer with Akira Kamiya.  Sadly, I haven't been able to attend since, but AZ was pretty badass.
    Our most recent Katsucon was crazy, and we're planning a lot more for next year.  We've joined the GameKatsu staff, which is full entirely of badasses, and have learned the secret ways of Katsucon.  It's fast becoming by favourite convention.
    Our first, last, and only Penguicon was epic.  The story is long and filled with awesome, but suffice to say we met Neil Gaimen and Steve Jackson, in addition to having other adventures.  I plan to return if they'll ever pay my way.  Maybe we should actually ask them. ^_~
    I suppose that's' enough, even though it doesn't even cover half of the cons I've attended in any real detail.  Suffice to say, I've slowly made the transition from mere attendee to staffer/entertainment, and it's getting to the point that very rarely will I show up to a convention where I'm not running something. I'd probably only bother with Otakon, Katsucon, and Ubercon otherwise.  I still enjoy cons, but not in the way I used to.  Had I not started GeekNights, I expect that over time I would have stopped going to cons entirely.

Post edited by Rym on
  • I have never attended a Con. Before Geeknights I had ZERO interest - I was a geek, but at the same time I am great friends with what is the equivalent of the "Jock" clique, so my Geekery is often ridiculed. I laugh along with it, but didn't ever dare glamorize it - now Rym and Scott have shown me the light! Hallelujah! I display my geekery proudly - I never wore my gaming shirts out, and now do; often. I've got a '360' pin on my backpack and display my DS wherever I may roam - however, I was still wary of cons. In these days of my geek-iphony I had avoided the Anime-day shows. Anime did not interest me until I made a post here asking how to get in to it - I failed to realize how much anime I really had seen and immediately downloaded a shit-ton of old anime episodes. Cons scared me but now I really, REALLY want to attend as many as I can - the way the guys talk about how much fun they have, how great the people are and everything else just makes me antsy.

I now need to look in to western anime cons - hopefully there's some in Canada... I really hope I can make Otakon next year. PAX is almost a given - my parents want to go to Seattle next year at that time :)
  • hopefully there's some in Canada
    I'm pretty sure that Anime North is the biggest in Canada. You just missed it, though.
  • Thanks dude.

I'm not worried about any THIS year - My funds are low and it's family-trip-year in August. Next year though, I WILL be going to at least one con. The thing is that I'm in the west, and if I am flying or... ugh, driving out East for a Con, I'm going to fuckin' Otakon!

Animethonis the only one I see in my province, but there's a couple close by - I'd feel more comfortable closer to home but got damn if I wouldn't love an adventure in the east. Too bad all of my friends are anti anime ;)
  • edited July 2007
    Never been. I was planning on going to Otakon, but it looks like I will be busy ;_;
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Next year, buddy :) Next year.
  • I was just placed last minute to officiate an regional all-star swim meet Friday and early Saturday. I could probably show up around 1-2 on Saturday.
  • I was just placed last minute to officiate an regional all-star swim meet Friday and early Saturday. I could probably show up around 1-2 on Saturday.
    That's really not worth it. You'd be paying full weekend price of $60 for a convention you aren't even going be at half the time. My advice would be to pick whether you would rather be at, the swim meet or the convention. Take into consideration the worst possible consequences for skipping the swim meet. If you are willing to suffer those consequences for the awesomeness of the convention, then give the swim meet the finger. You can also attempt to lie to the swim meet and tell them you have some vomiting action or something to lessen the consequences, but I would just tell them the truth.

Here's one thing about conventions that I don't think has been said. The only reason we are able to go to as many conventions as we do is because we make them our highest priority. There are very few things that will take precedence over a convention, especially one where we are running events. Otakon is double special. When I applied for my current job I told them before they hired me that on these particular dates I would not show up, regardless of how much vacation I had earned. If I was working someplace that told me I would be fired if I did not show up and went to Otakon, I would quit.

Basically, if you don't plan on going to a convention in advance and make it a higher priority than almost everything else, you aren't going to be able to go to many conventions or enjoy them to their fullest.
  • edited July 2007
    That's really not worth it. You'd be paying full weekend price of $60 for a convention you aren't even going be at half the time. My advice would be to pick whether you would rather be at, the swim meet or the convention. Take into consideration the worst possible consequences for skipping the swim meet. If you are willing to suffer those consequences for the awesomeness of the convention, then give the swim meet the finger. You can also attempt to lie to the swim meet and tell them you have some vomiting action or something to lessen the consequences, but I would just tell them the truth.
    I think what is going to happen is that I will just plan for next year. I haven't really been on top of things this year (I have no where to stay, I missed the cheap-o registration price, ect.) and I would probably have a better experience if I just make sure I am ready for next year. Sure, I could find some way out of the swim meet, but I enjoy it and don't want to deal with the stress of finding a replacement. Besides, this will allow me to go to some smaller cons first (quite possibly Katsucon next year).
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • My only con so far has been Anime Boston this year, and thank God I went. I had been sort of falling away from anime over the past little while, still liked it and all, just didn't really watch it. I went there...and although looking back I probably should've done more "con" things rather than spending most of my time in the dealer's room looking over things, but because of it I have gotten back into my anime, actually watched some stuff, and it was also a great break I desperately needed because I was burning out badly from school and work. I'd really like to go to Otakon sometime, but at the moment I just don't have the money to get down there and such.
  • My only con so far has been Anime Boston this year, and thank God I went. I had been sort of falling away from anime over the past little while, still liked it and all, just didn't really watch it. I went there...and although looking back I probably should've done more "con" things rather than spending most of my time in the dealer's room looking over things, but because of it I have gotten back into my anime, actually watched some stuff, and it was also a great break I desperately needed because I was burning out badly from school and work. I'd really like to go to Otakon sometime, but at the moment I just don't have the money to get down there and such.
    Yeah, Anime Boston's my only con, too. The dealers floor this year was rather piss-poor, tho. But seriously, dealer's floors are really, really boring after the first day.

• Yeah, Anime Boston's my only con, too. The dealers floor this year was rather piss-poor, tho. But seriously, dealer's floors are really, really boring after the first day.
    Then My friend you have not learned to Barter (or deal hunt) on Sunday!
  • For me, it's just Anime Boston. but I hope to expand to some other conventions that are around the region. I may want to get an artist alley table when I feel confident enough. Tora-Con might still be an option after the next one if I decide to go for my Masters for Comupter Graphic Design. Got an artist alley table last time, so I'm still going to continue.
  • The first and only con I have ever attended is the almighty Otakon 2006, though I'll be attending Otakon this year too. I was such a loser because the people I went with did not want to do anything. All they wanted to do was sit around, talk to their buddies, and buy stuff. The time could have been wisely spent at other events. I did not even know what a panel was until I listened to Geeknights. So the majority of the 3 afternoons were spent sitting around taking naps. I was really marveled at how many people were at Otakon. I saw people flooding to Otakon from every corner of the streets. You know, I think Otakon was too big of a con for me to begin with. It was just way too overwhelming for a passive Anime fan at the time. But since then, I have become more knowledgeable about cons, so I won't have a single free second lazing around at Otakon 2007!!
  • edited March 2008
    In 2002 I went to my first anime con, Katsucon, on a school trip. So many things I could've done. I was a n00b. Then I started to go to Katsucon every year afterwards. It's only 40 mins on the metro so why the heck not. If I ever miss Katsucon I'm probably dead. This is going to sound real dumbshitty, but it a good luck con for me. Just because something incredibly awesome happens to me.

I didn't go to Otakon until 06 and have been going since. It's not my fave though.

2007 was the year of cons for me. I was tired of waiting 6 months between cons so I attended T-mode and volunteered at Anime USA. Plus there's my college's anime con, Animinicon.

I'm thinking about hitting up A-Kon in Dallas. I'll pretty much hit any con that gives crash space for volunteering. As long as the Greyhound goes there anyway.

I really love conventions. Now in 2008 I'll hopefully get chosen to be a panelist. I already have some epic con memories. Plus, going to a con isn't enough anymore. I love being a regular con goer but after volunteering one and staffing another it's just not enough anymore. It's not me hating cons. It's just that I want to try new things and I grew to love more things about cons. Plus cons are really the only way I see some people. The thing about cons and anime events in DC is that you see some of the same circles. Heck, sometimes that can apply to the entire northeast midatlantic con circuit!
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Up until a couple of years ago, I would have needed to travel pretty far to get to any con. AT U.K., the Students for the Exporation and Development of Space had an SF con that was a disaster. In Louisville, I went to a crappy SF con that had a B-9 Robot and the woman that played Judy Robinson from Lost in SPace as its only features. I went to Otakon in 2007 just to see Rym and Scott. I saw them and left pretty soon after that.

This year I might go to more cons, since the Baltimore Convention Center is two (2) blocks from our apartment. They have a comic-con and an SF con there as well as some sort of anime con I heard tell about.
  • edited March 2008
    I went to Otakon in 2007 just to see Rym and Scott. I saw them and left pretty soon after that.
    That was Katsucon, not Otakon.
    They have a comic-con and an SF con there as well as some sort of anime con I heard tell about.
    That is Otakon. From what I hear the Baltimore Comic-Con is a good one, but it only takes up one exhibition hall in the convention center. Otakon takes up every square inch of the convention center.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I went to Otakon in 2007 just to see Rym and Scott. I saw them and left pretty soon after that.
    That was Katsucon, not Otakon.
    Sorry. I mixed up my cons, sort of like the con-mix I used to feed to our horses, I guess.
  • Thanks dude.

I'm not worried about any THIS year - My funds are low and it's family-trip-year in August. Next year though, I WILL be going to at least one con. The thing is that I'm in the west, and if I am flying or... ugh, driving out East for a Con, I'm going to fuckin' Otakon!

Animethonis the only one I see in my province, but there's a couple close by - I'd feel more comfortable closer to home but got damn if I wouldn't love an adventure in the east. Too bad all of my friends are anti anime ;)
    You live in Alberta, eh? So do I. There's also Otafest (my favorite - it's a bit smaller than Animethon, and in Calgary), Nishikaze (Lethbridge).. you just missed N00BCon (Grande Prairie), though it's not that big. =3 Try this place. It's a forum layout, but near the bottom the main 3 are listed, plus in local events there'll be a list of other cons in Alberta. =3

I went to Ai-Kon in Winnipeg in something stupid year like 2002 or 2003, I can't remember. It was kinda boring because I didn't know what panels were, but I loved it. It was open for the whole 3 days, and I had to be dragged from there every time. I visited the Artist Alley, got lots of pictures, and found out how interesting vendor rooms are.

Next one was Otafest as an Artist Alley member in Calgary when I was in grade 10, and I loved just being there and seeing everyone and talking to people. On the night we arrived, we went to the Rocky Horror Picture Show. It was amazing.
    Then Animethon that same year - I actually got to go to panels, and it was crazy fun! I loved it, and the people were everywhere!

Last year (grade 11), I went to Nishikaze and worked as a last minute volunteer. That was the most spur of the moment one, and I didn't have any money to spend really... But I met and actually -drove up- with Vash, the AMV guy. He's so entertaining. <3
    I went to Otafest again, again as an AAer but this time with my two friends - Cole and Kristin. Cole is a seasoned con-goer but now he'll only go with me because I can plan them. XD But he's a great guy. That was Kristin's first time, and she dressed as a Di Gi Carat character.. Piyoko or something? That was tons of fun, and we went to a few panels.
    And then went to Anime Evolution in Vancouver, was my last con. We stayed with an old friend of mine, and traveled by bus. It was about a half-hour to an hour ride just to get there, but that was fine. I wanted to shop for clothes, but my friend is.. ah. Against things like money. I don't know. *shrugs* But we sat in tons of panels that time, leaning more towards the webcomic panels.

I would go to Otafest again, but it's always in May, and I think it's too close to my grad, if not on the same weekend.. Plus, I have no money. So this year won't be con year at all. *pouts*
  • edited March 2008
    Let's see.

A Magic: The Gathering tournament when I was in middle school.
    Various tiny comic+collectible trade shows.
    Ohayoocon 2
    Penguicon 2.0
    Every Otakon since Otakon 2002
    The last two Katsucons
    One AnimeNEXT (forget which one)
    The last two Connecticons
    The only NYAF.
    Attempted the first NYCC and failed, Friday only for the second NYCC
    The only SITAcon
    The last two MoCCA Arts Festivals
    Two Ubercons (I forget which)
    One Tora-con (I forget)
    The (last?) Rudicon, kind of?
    Do anime club social nights/springfests count?
    The last two gaming for hopes.
    One Wizard World Philly, two years ago?

There may be more. I will have to go home and consult my convention badge collection.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited March 2008
    Let's see.
    If we count tournaments then I've been in 3 Yugioh regionals.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • edited March 2008
    Let's see.
    If we count tournaments then I've been in 3 Yugioh regionals.
    I used to play Yu Gi Oh tourneys every second weekend until I got a job (and now I work at that store on those days, running them).. I was never very good at it though. *pouts at her* Tell me! What was it like, the regionals?
    Post edited by kage_rod on
  • - Otakon 2004
    -Tora-con 2005
    - Otakon 2007

A short, but growing list, as I am pre-regged for Otakon '08.
  • Anime Expo is really the only worthwhile con around here besides Anime LA, which I always seem to be busy the weekend of.
  • edited March 2008
    Wow, I feel like the only person who goes to small local cons. So far I've been to...6 cons, none of them being anywhere near the size of Otakon.

Colossalcon '06- first con. It was only 10 minutes away from me and my friend's houses, so we only went for like 6-7 hours on saturday. It was one of the most fun cons I've ever been to. This is where I met a LOT of my con friends at, and now we tend to hang out outside of cons, which is awesome. We also hit the dealers room and some video rooms.

Ohayocon '07- equally awesome. Went to my first panels here. Also went to my first con rave. And I was there for all 3 days (we had a room). Me and my friends got introduced to the wonderful world of import gaming thanks to Mad Gear....and we also spent $500 combined on video games (ok, so we overpaid on a lot of games, but a lot of stuff we got good deals on, too...so I'm ok with that).
    Oh, this is also when me and my friends found out about a vast number of sweet rhythm games that we've never heard of.

Anime Punch '07- we only stayed for like....3 or 4 hours on Saturday, cause my friend's dad was in a pissed off mood and he wanted to leave early. Basically, all we did was play DDR and other random games in their kickass game rooms (rhythm room, retro room, and normal room). We found out about sweet games like Steel Batallion...and we played unofficial SSB tournaments, which were awesome.

Colossalcon '07- It was alright. Not the best, not the worst. I was only there for friday and satuday, though, since my mom got pissed off at me for getting home way late on Saturday night (as with Colossal 06, it was only 10 minutes away, so I didn't get a room).

Ohayocon '08- shitty. Most of my friends that come to cons with me couldn't come. All told, I think like only 3 or 4 out of our usually 10+ person groups came.
    What ended up happening is that one of my friends was in video rooms and some panels all day. Another one of my friends was chasing girls all con, and was being an ass when any of our friends (including me) tried to talk to him or hang out with him. So ultimately, I ended up being a loner for the majority of this con until saturday night.
    Saturday night was perhaps the most fucking awesome night of any con I've been to. For starters, this is the first time my mom let me and my friends get a room and stay with just one of my friend's parents (who are both big otaku, so it was sweet)....so we were up till like 3 or 4am each night. Anyways, I met a lot of awesome people at a 1am ITG/DDR tournament. I also met DM Ashura (which probably doesn't mean a lot to most of you, but it was still awesome). Then a little after that, one of my friends came running into the game room. Apparently he just cockblocked my girl-chasing friend. It was so epic, since my girl chasing friend was being an asshole all con and deserved it so badly. Then after that me and some of the guys I met at the tournaments played some Rock band, which is 10x more fun late at night.
    But unfortunately, the epicness of Saturday night couldn't help the failure that was Friday and Sunday at the con....oh well, I guess.

A&G Ohio '08- Awesome. Friday night me and my friends won the Rock Band tourney (Which was held on stage with a light show and everything). Friday or Saturday night there was a nerf war, which was fun as hell. Gaming room was really kickass. They had a sponsor that provided 30 HDTVs, so it was just cool as hell in there.
    Dealers room, rave, and panels were all pretty lacking though. But for a first year con, it was awesome.

Anyways, in terms of awesomeness: CCC06 > Ohayo07 > A&G08 > CCC07 > AP07 > Ohayo08.

Dealers Rooms: Ohayo08 > Ohayo07 > CCC07 > CCC06 > AP07 > A&G08 (that pretty much correlates to how big each con is, too).

Game Rooms: AP07 > Ohayo08 (for having an hacked DDR machine and a Guitar Freaks machine) > A&G08 > CCC07 > CCC06 > Ohoyo07 (awful...)

The only other con I'm going to this year is Colossalcon '08 (4 day con, baby!). Then in 09 it's all up in the air.

Wow, sorry for such a long post....
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Never been to any sort of con. Who knows when that will change.
  • Never been to any sort of con. Who knows when that will change.
    Go to PAX. ^_~
  • Wow, there's two other people in Alberta on this forum? I had no idea, since I never saw either of you mention it before. o.o

Anyway, I'm an Albertan con-goer as well. There are four main cons in the province (Animethon, Otafest, Nishikaze, and the Calgary Comic & Entertainment Expo), but there is also a growing multitude of tiny high school cons, which simultaneously boggles and pleases me. I think we have the Anime Alberta forum to thank for all that, since it's a nice central gathering place that provides easy advertisement (and encouragement) for young people trying to start up their own events. :)

In any case, I started going to cons in 2001 when I attended Animethon 8 in Edmonton. I thought cosplay was semi-expected of people, so I slapped together a terrible cosplay of Ed from Cowboy Bebop (to date the only time I've ever dyed my hair all one colour, even if only temporarily) and pranced around barefoot for half the convention until security volunteers told me I was required to wear shoes. Yeah, I was being an idiot, but then, I was only fourteen at the time. Anyway, I had a great time there, and was inspired to keep going back every year. And to date I have done so, not missing an Animethon since. There have only been one or two years where I was not totally satisfied with the experience there; 2006 was a bad year due to some failures in general con organization and volunteer coordination (though it did have a great Tanabata festival), but 2007 was a wonderful year to make up for that, and seemed to succeed in all the places that had failed the previous year.

I also sort of started attending Otafest in Calgary in 2001. When I say "sort of," I mean I showed up to the con only to find out that the staff had not submitted all their shows to the Alberta Film Board on time for ratings, and so every anime showing at the con was automatically rated 18+. EVERYTHING. Including the likes of Sailor Moon and Pokemon. That... was just so weird and blatantly stupid, I basically just went to the dealer's room, bought some Utena OSTs (which I later learned were bootlegs), and then left before I'd even been on the grounds for an hour. The following year, Otafest had finally gotten its act together with a great opening ceremony (to date, still one of the best dragon dances I've ever seen), a good variety of properly rated showings, a nice, trim cosplay contest, good panels and game shows, and the fresh green areas of the U of C campus between the main con area and the dealer's hall populated with cosplayers. As with Animethon, I haven't missed an Otafest since, and I started volunteering for it in 2006. This con consistently improves year after year, I've found, and 2008's outing looks like it's going to continue that trend. So excited! :D

This year will bring a new con experience for me in the form of the Calgary Comic & Entertainment Expo. I've meant to go the past couple times it was held, but it was always late notice for me by the time I found out it was happening. This year, I prepared well in advance, and am pumped to have a good time. There'll be a HUGE number of industry guests there including Doug Jones, Bryan Lee O'Malley, Luci Christian, Laura Bailey, Mark Waid, Vic Mignogna, Jo Chen, Kevin Sorbo, Michael Rosenbaum, George Takei, and a great big swath of varied comic artists and writers. :D Not to mention my favourite geeky performers who seem to be ever-present at all Alberta conventions, the 404s Improv Comedy.

I'm hoping to MAYBE attend PAX this year, if I can get enough money together and I can find three friends to share a hotel room with. Anyone want to share a room at the Crowne Plaza? ^^;