This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Sick People

edited March 2008 in Everything Else
I have come to the conclusion that things have changed for the worst in the past 10 years. Why do I say this, well let me begin. The level of violence in society has always been significant throughout history, however in a very short time frame violence has increased greatly because in my opinion society's laws has softened greatly . Today you can murder someone and use the defense of I had a hard life, I was poor, I was not loved enough as a child, and my favorite I was high do not remember what I did.
My answer to this is get a life and take responsibility for your actions. Also the laws have to be enforced, not simply pat someone on then head, give them therapy and send them home. When I was growing up it was, "If you did the crime you did the time".
I may sound like a conservative extremist, but as I have gotten older and seen how humans have devolved I am not as liberal/idealistic minded as I once was when I was younger. Yes I am jaded, but I have recognized that some people are just plain evil and can not be reformed and are a danger to society. Therefore, these people need to be taken care of with laws being stricter and enforced. The minority of society is now civilized and sane, the majority is uncivilized and insane. Due in part to the law saying it is okay to be so.

Comments

• I have come to the conclusion that things have changed for the worst in the past 10 years. Why do I say this, well let me begin. The level of violence in society has always been significant throughout history, however in a very short time frame violence has increased greatly because in my opinion society's laws has softened greatly . Today you can murder someone and use the defense of I had a hard life, I was poor, I was not loved enough as a child, and my favorite I was high do not remember what I did.
    My answer to this is get a life and take responsibility for your actions. Also the laws have to be enforced, not simply pat someone on then head, give them therapy and send them home. When I was growing up it was, "If you did the crime you did the time".
    I may sound like a conservative extremist, but as I have gotten older and seen how humans have devolved I am not as liberal/idealistic minded as I once was when I was younger. Yes I am jaded, but I have recognized that some people are just plain evil and can not be reformed and are a danger to society. Therefore, these people need to be taken care of with laws being stricter and enforced. The minority of society is now civilized and sane, the majority is uncivilized and insane. Due in part to the law saying it is okay to be so.
  • The minority of society is now civilized and sane, the majority is uncivilized and insane. Due in part to the law saying it is okay to be so.
    If you seriously believe that, I think you're in the insane majority.
  • edited March 2008
    Post edited by Jason on
    Yeah. I heard this type of talk in the early 70s. It was pretty persuasive then. Not so much now.

Hey guy, the early 70s called. They want their argument back.
  • I have come to the conclusion that things have changed for the worst in the past 10 years. Why do I say this, well let me begin. The level of violence in society has always been significant throughout history, however in a very short time frame violence has increased greatly because in my opinion society's laws has softened greatly
    I was going to destroy you right there, but Jason beat me to it.
  • Haha, gotta love statistics.
  • The reason I said what I said is because the crime rates for violence in regards to youth have greatly increased. Oh, in the 70's it was more peace and love and therapy, I know I grew up then. Recently in the area of the country (Canada) I live in there have been more violent crimes then you can imagine. Example someone with 36 previous charges just recently nearly tortured someone to death has got a shorter jail time due to using the excuses I outlined for their defence. Oh if you think I am someone of upper middle class status and does not understand the impoverished you are wrong. I grew up with nothing and worked hard to achieve the things I have in life. I treated people with respect and did not use my background as an excuse to become a violent criminal and harm others.
    Also statistics are not always accurate because not all violent crimes are reported. Perhaps if you have seen some of the crime up close and personal like I have you may not so easily judge my opinion as being crazy.
  • edited March 2008
    http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/070718/d070718b.htm
    Enjoy. Those statistics should be directly relevant to you.
    Example someone with 36 previous charges just recently nearly tortured someone to death has got a shorter jail time due to using the excuses I outlined for their defence.
    They got a shorter jail time; it's not like they entirely got away with it or anything...
    The fact of the matter is, a person's punishment can't be an absolute thing. Circumstances matter.
    Let me draw a number of examples:-
    -You kill someone because they were about to kill you
    -You kill someone because they were about to rape you
    -You kill someone because they were egging you on as best they could
    -You kill someone because it made you feel good
    -You kill someone because you were brought up to do it.

All of these are different and should be treated as such. None of them are undeserving of punishment, but the punishment should vary, at least as a matter of principle.
    Perhaps if you have seen some of the crime up close and personal like I have you may not so easily judge my opinion as being crazy.
    So your personal experience, a sample space of crimes that likely doesn't even go into the hundreds, is more valid than statistics collected all over the country?
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Also statistics are not always accurate because not all violent crimes are reported. Perhaps if you have seen some of the crime up close and personal like I have you may not so easily judge my opinion as being crazy.
    Oh so we should take the anecdotal evidence of one person to think that the world has gone to shit? Sorry, but that is not how it works in the real world.
  • Crime rates have not increased. What has increased is sensationalism of violence in the media. The news reports on things that are out of the ordinary. When crime was more common, the news reported it less. Now the news goes crazy over the smallest of violent crimes because they are increasingly rare. This however creates the perception that they are less rare because the amount of news minutes crime takes up has increased.

In other words, the news owns your mind.
  • edited March 2008
    I treated people with respect and did not use my background as an excuse to become a violent criminal and harm others.
    You're using your background as an excuse to discriminate against the modern generation though.

Also, Scott makes a good point.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • RymRym
    edited March 2008
    The reason I said what I said is because the crime rates for violence in regards to youth have greatly increased.
    Source?

More importantly, punishment should not be the goal of a justice system.
    1. Undo what harm was done
    2. Do what is reasonable to prevent future harm by purpetrator(s)
    3. Deter as best as possible future similar harm by others
    Everything else is just revenge.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • The reason I said what I said is because the crime rates for violence in regards to youth have greatly increased.
    Source?
    http://www.statcan.ca/Daily/English/070718/d070718b.htm
    It looks like there was an increase in youth crime rates in Canada in 2006, but that's about it.

More importantly, punishment should not be the goal of a justice system.
    1. Undo what harm was done
    2. Do what is reasonable to prevent future harm by purpetrator(s)
    3. Deter as best as possible future similar harm by others
    Everything else is just revenge.
    This is indeed true.
  • In a deleted scene from Sicko, Michael Moore touched on crime in Norway. He starts around 2:20, then talks about sustainability for a bit, and then again at 3:50.
    edited March 2008
    The minority of society is now civilized and sane, the majority is uncivilized and insane. Due in part to the law saying it is okay to be so.
    If you seriously believe that, I think you're in the insane majority.
    Even I have not enough alternate personalities to be the majority of the populace of the earth!
    There is no sanity in the world, simply different variations on the idea of madness.
    <3 that quote now.
    Post edited by ... on
  • I was trying to point out to all this is my opinion from my experiences with aspects of violence and crime in my life and my community. You do not have to agree with me. I respect your opinions as you also should respect mine. Revenge is not what I seek, Justice is what I seek for the victims of violent crimes.

I agree with points you have indicated Rym, I was simply saying that laws should be strengthend and enforced. Here in Canada some of these points are not even followed.

In Canada things have gotten out of hand in regards to violence, that is why I feel my country has changed for the worse. Just wish I knew what the answer was to turn things around.
    lackocheese - Thank you for checking the Stats Can. Although Stats Can has indicated an increase in 2006, I believe its is higher and has been over the past ten years. Reason for this belief, many violent crimes are not reported due to fear of retribution by the criminal against the victum and thus the charges are dropped and does not become a statistic.
    Source: Lawyer friends and my cousin is a Social Worker, thus the news does not own my mind.
    Used my background as an example of how one can have it hard and still treat others with respect and do no harm. If I sounded like I slammed all youth that was not my intention, I am just tired of individuals using this as a reason (a hard life) to commit a violent crime.
    It is sad that we are the only species on the planet that will harm one another were many cases survival has nothing to do with committing the act of violence.

If I was emotional about this issue and what happened to this small child then I apologise. As I indicated before my personal experience has made me jaded in regards to violent crimes and how it should be handled in regards to the law.
  • I was trying to point out to all this is my opinion from my experiences with aspects of violence and crime in my life and my community. You do not have to agree with me. I respect your opinions as you also should respect mine. Revenge is not what I seek, Justice is what I seek for the victims of violent crimes.
    But you brought it as fact. How can we respect an opinion if it's presented as wrong facts?
  • Posted by: Myself
    But you brought it as fact. How can we respect an opinion if it's presented as wrong facts?

I brought is as my opinion.
    Facts that I asertained from various sources and my observations to form again my personal opinion.
    Myself, should not everyones opinion be respected even if you think they wrong.
    Are not opinions subjective to ones own interpretation of the information they obtain.
    I not telling everyone to agree with me. I simply stated my opinion.
    I am not here to pick a fight, nor to say who is right and who is wrong on this issue.
    How you interpret my statements I have no control over.
  • The level of violence in society has always been significant throughout history, however in a very short time frame violence has increased greatly because in my opinion society's laws has softened greatly .
    That sounds like a statement of fact, does it not?
  • Andrew
    That is a fact obtained from my observations.
  • Having said it in the way you have Anubis, you need to go to great lengths now to justify your viewpoint.

All I've noticed is the (slight) increase in crime in Canadian youth in 2006. To justify your opinion, you would have to show that
    1) For some reason, a significantly greater proportion of crime today isn't being reported
    2) There is a correlation between the increase in crime and softer laws.

For example, what specifically happened in Canada in 2006 to increase youth crime?
  • Andrew
    That is a fact obtained from my observations.
    How did you make these observations and what methods did you use?
  • Thank you lackofcheese for your guidance in how a forum works since I have not been on one before.
    In future I will word my opinions/discussions more carefully to get what I am trying to say across and include facts.
    I am more accustomed to one on one interaction in person and with individuals who are in the same situation, I am learning to adapt.
    Again your constructive input is greatly appreciated.
  • Andrew,
    Obtained information from my Lawyer friends and my Cousin the Social Worker. My observations are from what I have seen actually happening in my community.
    Again as I stated to lackofchesse in the future I will be better prepared to back up my opinions with physcial facts I can display.
  • Obtained information from my Lawyer friends and my Cousin the Social Worker. My observations are from what I have seen actually happening in my community.
    It may be true in your community. Do you have actual statistics from crime rates in your community? Also, even if your community is having a problem with increased crime and violence, that doesn't mean that the same thing is happening elsewhere. You need to learn to separate your personal perceptions from the reality of the world.
  • Again as I stated to lackofchesse in the future I will be better prepared to back up my opinions with physcial facts I can display.
    Good ^_^ As long as you have hard evidence (anecdotal evidence is not sufficient) I will be much more willing to accept your claims.