This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rebate Check

edited March 2008 in Politics
I think we'll all be getting those stupid rebate checks sometime in May. That's not too far away. What are you gonna do with yours?

Comments

• I think we'll all be getting those stupid rebate checks sometime in May. That's not too far away. What are you gonna do with yours?
    I'll deposit it in the bank and continue living life as usual. I'm not going to purchase anything I wouldn't have otherwise purchased without the rebate.
  • I've heard they're going by the last digits in your social security number so it could take til September to get my check.
  • Combine it with my boyfriend's rebate to go towards purchasing a new HDTV.
  • Why do they have to do a rebate like this? Why cant' they just factor it into everyone's normal return?
  • Something about letting it be known that Bush is trying to fix the economy. Though this is hardly the way to do it.
  • Something about letting it be known that Bush is trying to fix the economy. Though this is hardly the way to do it.
    Pretty much. Pay attention to which Senators have their signature on the note that comes with your check.
  • I'm not sure that more deficit spending is going to do the trick here. Also, not everyone gets a check.
  • The worst thing is, someone like me may well get one. That money is a drop in the bucket for me, and won't help me or the economy out at all. I don't need the help in the first place, but there are a lot of people who do.

Why don't they give the money to people who actually need it? No one making the money we (Scott and I) do or more should benefit from, as far as I'm concerned, ANY tax breaks.
  • I'm thinking about putting it into savings, just to spite the publicly stated rationale behind the rebate.
  • Why don't they give the money to people whoactually need it?No one making the money we (Scott and I) do or more should benefit from, as far as I'm concerned, ANY tax breaks.
    You think those people are going to spend it? They're going to put it into debts they have irresponsibly built up.

What they should do is find the people who don't have much money, but are fiscally conservative, and divide the money amongst them. They don't have much debt to put the money into, and they would probably actually buy some things with that money. Also, since there are fewer of them, you could give them a lot more than $600, and they'd maybe buy cars and such.
  • You think those people are going to spend it? They're going to put it into debts they have irresponsibly built up.
    Yes, because all debts are irresponsible. Get a clue Scott, some people find themselves taking care of sick parents or kids, having to figure out how to get the money together to help raise their child. 600 dollars to someone just getting by will actually help them. Rym's point is vault, your point is kinda stupid. Anyhow, if someone takes the money and uses it to pay down debt they will have more money later to spend.
  • Actually, the people Scott is talking about will not pay their creditors. Instead, they will buy more stuff they don't need.
  • The problem is bailing out people who took mortgages they shouldn't have taken in the first place. It removes the incentive to pay back a mortgage...
  • The only reason it is being discussed is because of the fear that it will take out the economy for everyone, perhaps the entire world economy.

I am no believer in public works, but if the money spent in Iraq had been instead spent rebuilding highways, we'd all be complaining about orange barrels instead of the economy. We'd have cheap gas and a feeling of prosperity.
  • The problem is bailing out people who took mortgages they shouldn't have taken in the first place. It removes the incentive to pay back a mortgage...
    I have to wonder how much of the mortgage crisis is real homeowners in trouble and how much is real estate speculators in crisis.
  • 100 cups of coffee.
  • edited March 2008
    100 cups of coffee.
    Oh man, I'm totally changing my answer to "$300 worth of burglary tools."
    Post edited by J.Sharp on