This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Clannad and True Tears

edited March 2008 in Anime
Have any of you seen these 2 anime?
I watched them with a few of my friends and would be curious to know what you though about them.

Comments

• Isn't Clannad by the creator of Kanon?
  • edited March 2008
    I thinks so, yes. That would explain a lot. ^^
    Post edited by kiwi_bird on
  • I thinks so, yes. That would explain a lot. ^^
    Moe perverted shows ftl.
  • You can't say that without watching it.
  • You can't say that without watching it.
    I've watched similar shows in the past. I have sufficient evidence that this show is similar to those I have watched in the past. I know I didn't like those other shows. While I may not be able to make a final judgment on the show without watching it, I can make an educated guess that it will be very unlikely for me to have a positive opinion of the show. I admit there is a chance this show is different from all those others, and might be somehow good, the chances of that are very low. Since I have a pile of things to read and watch that are much more likely to be awesome, I know that these are not shows that I am going to spend time watching.
  • Have any of you seen these 2 anime?
    I watched them with a few of my friends and would be curious to know what you though about them.
    No, my thoughts, crap and crap, in that order.
  • I tried Clannad on the request of a friend.

I trusted that bastard. Horrible, horrible, horrible anishits!
  • I couldn't make it through the first episode of either of those shows. I was overwhelmed by the sheer "But... but real girls don't ACT LIKE THAT!" within the first five to ten minutes, and I shut them both off in a mixture of boredom and disgust. As Mike Toole said in his Kanon review, "cute little affectations are not personality traits."
  • edited March 2008
    Clannad had some funny moments at times (one or two per episode) but it was eh. The "plot" as it was, I found very uncompelling, and generally just lost interest in the show.

True Tears I found completely boring in almost every way.

However, these shows really weren't what I'd call "moe." They never seemed to play up the "hotness" of the female characters at all. Ultimately these are just shojo shows, not moe.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Though I agree with most of you I totally agree with gedavids. It seemed that the shows cater to teenage girls or maybe even boys, meaning that most of you aren't really their target audience.

Though these anime are by no means the best or even above average, my non anime watching friends found them really entertaining. They even chose them over watching Cowboy Bebop or Paranoia Agent, probably because they were the EXACT target audience of the 2 shows.
  • Any show that stops more FMP alone is fail and lose, but any show that stops both FMP and Haruhi at the same time is right up there in the sucks factor ratings.
  • You realize that moe isn't about "playing up the hotness" of the characters most of the time, right? For most moe shows, the girls aren't necessarily hot, but instead they are cute. Yes, as in little puppy or kitten cute. That look is supposed to engender a feeling of "ahhhhhh, she's so adorable! I must protect her and cuddle her and touch her cute, pink panties treat her like a little sister!" The word "moe" itself just means "to burn with passion," and that can be entirely devoid of sexual connotations (or so moe fanboys will tell you). I would argue that the less overtly sexualized and more subtly a show objectifies and dumbs down its young female characters, the more a moe show it is. True Tears and Clannad both fit this to a T.
  • They even chose them over watching Cowboy Bebop or Paranoia Agent, probably because they were the EXACT target audience of the 2 shows.
    A request from a concerned madman. Please keep those people as far away from me as you can.
  • edited March 2008
    You realize that moe isn't about "playing up the hotness" of the characters most of the time, right? For most moe shows, the girls aren't necessarily hot, but instead they are cute. Yes, as in little puppy or kitten cute. That look is supposed to engender a feeling of "ahhhhhh, she's so adorable! I must protect her and cuddle her andtouch her cute, pink pantiestreat her like a little sister!" The word "moe" itself just means "to burn with passion," and that can be entirely devoid of sexual connotations (or so moe fanboys will tell you). I would argue that the less overtly sexualized and more subtly a show objectifies and dumbs down its young female characters, the more a moe show it is. True Tears and Clannad both fit this to a T.
    I stand corrected. But they fail in their object of "to burn with passion."
    Though I agree with most of you I totally agree with gedavids. It seemed that the shows cater to teenage girls or maybe even boys, meaning that most of you aren't really their target audience.

Though these anime are by no means the best or even above average, my non anime watching friends found them really entertaining. They even chose them over watching Cowboy Bebop or Paranoia Agent, probably because they were the EXACT target audience of the 2 shows.
    They aren't terrible, just nothing amazing. If they wanna watch them now and Bebop later that's ok, just as long as they watch the good shows eventually.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • I finally meet someone reasonable on the internet! :]

I was thinking the same. Once they're out of high school and these shows don't cater to them anymore they'll get around to watching CB and other great anime.
  • edited March 2008
    I just remembered something horrifying. The Clannad canned bread:

I can just imagine an otaku hearing Tomoya's voice in his head saying, "Now you can eat what's inside me, big brother..."

o_O *scrubs brain out with steel wool*
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • Hotlinked'd!!!
  • Ah, I thought I felt like I was having deja vu, but I couldn't place it. XD;
  • @Tenchi Kaze

That looks and sounds horrible..