This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Five military jets...(or Jets in general.)

The are going higher than mach speeds.

There have been about 5 rounds of them, either there's a lot of them or they are circling the area.

I find it fascinating and slightly scary.

Comments

• If you are awesome you know that there's nothing you can do about it and so therefor it's useless to care about it or be scared by it. Also, if you are awesome enough, it won't affect you no matter what it could possibly be.

If you think it might be odd, even in the slightest way, you must be one of those alarmist type peoples.
  • The are going higher than mach speeds.
    Mach is a unit of measurement. What you said is equivalent of saying "The car is further away than meter distances".

Also, I'm guessing that you meant supersonic speeds (faster than sound). Well, unless you saw the jets, I'm guessing that they didn't really go that fast. The only real way to know is to see the jet because what will happen is that the jet will pass you then a second or two later you will be hit by the sound wave. Lastly, I doubt that the military would authorize supersonic speeds in residential areas.
  • If you are awesome you know that there's nothing you can do about it and so therefor it's useless to care about it or be scared by it. Also, if you are awesome enough, it won't affect you no matter what it could possibly be.

If you think it might be odd, even in the slightest way, you must be one of those alarmist type peoples.
    If you are awesome, you stand outside, look up, and say "Sweet! Jet technology is teh awesome!"
  • Lastly, I doubt that the military would authorize supersonic speeds in residential areas.
    Sarcasm aside, this is the reason that if I really saw a group of jets fly through a residential area at supersonic speeds, I'd run to a computer or a TV to check CNN.
  • Sarcasm aside, this is the reason that if I really saw a group of jets fly through a residential area at supersonic speeds, I'd run to a computer or a TV to check CNN.
    Agreed. I live within 15 miles of the pentagon. You should have heard all of the activity in the sky during 9/11.
  • I find it fascinating and slightly scary.
    Is it that rare for military jets to fly over cities?
  • Well, I heard the sound of the jets after I saw them. might have been an illusion, not to mention I wrote the first post seconds after the fifth wave of them (an 8th one passed just now.)

I'm not alarmed in anyway, I just find it fascinating because they are freaking military jets and scary because of the rarity.

But, the are not flying in any formation.
  • Well, I heard the sound of the jets after I saw them.
    Yeah, that happens for they have to fly high. Sound's not that fast, what was it? 300 something meters/second?
  • Do you live near any military installation?

Jets are awesome. I used to live near an Air Force Base, so hearing jets and planes overhead never really surprised me. I was always fascinated just staring at them.

I remember driving underneath them whenever they were landing. That was pretty awesome. I look forward to their air show. Nothing like hearing loud jets coming in from behind you and scaring the crap out of you. :P
  • I don't live anywhere near a military base.
  • Well I guess that would be a cause of some concern, however just be in awe and be happy you get to see something like that.
  • I am, I actually went outside for a while to enjoy the jets passing by.
  • I doubt they went supersonic at low altitude. Sonic booms can break windows.
  • I love it when I hear the jets coming and see them out my window. I don't live that far from AAFB.
  • I used to live near SANG, so much of my childhood is filled with the constant flyover of C-130s and F-16s. I'd be on the phone with a friend and have to say "plane" just as one roared over, knowing it would pass over their house a few minutes later.
  • Though I have never had a flyover near me; My grandma was in Scotland one time and she opened the hotel window which was overlooking a river and there was a nuclear submarine going past.
  • I was in Duluth once, and a B2 flew over, heading out over Lake Superior. It was crazy low. And crazy awesome.
  • They pass over my neighborhood so many times that my neighbors began biting their thumbs. Apparently, one of them is a veteran of Desert Storm.
  • We get a lot of Chinook helicopters and Boeing C-17A Transport planes fly over my grandparents and our house going to the base north of us. Its really neat to see sometimes 4-5 aircraft flying over on supply runs. I'll try to get some pictures next time if I have it near me.
  • I doubt they went supersonic at low altitude. Sonic booms can break windows.
    The last time I went to the Cleveland air show (few years ago), they had a plane break the sound barrier (and yes, I am 100% sure, seeing as you couldn't hear anything until the plane well passed by where you were standing, then it was just like "WHOOOOOOOOOSH!") very close to the buildings in the city and the Browns stadium (and by close I'd imagine within a few hundred yards)....

So yeah, I don't see why they'd let planes that close to the city if there was risks of windows breaking.
  • Slider: No, no, below the hard deck does not count.
    Maverick: Hard deck my ass. We nailed that son of a bitch.
    Iceman: Wow, you guys really are cowboys.
    Maverick: What's your problem, Kazanski?
    Iceman: You're everyone's problem. That's because every time you go up in the air, you're unsafe. I don't like you because you're dangerous.
    Maverick: That's right! Ice...man. I am dangerous.
  • edited March 2008
    The last time I went to the Cleveland air show (few years ago), they had a plane break the sound barrier (and yes, I am 100% sure, seeing as you couldn't hear anything until the plane well passed by where you were standing, then it was just like "WHOOOOOOOOOSH!") very close to the buildings in the city and the Browns stadium (and by close I'd imagine within a few hundred yards)....

So yeah, I don't see why they'd let planes that close to the city if there was risks of windows breaking.
    Just because you didn't hear it until the plane passed doesn't mean it was supersonic. The sound still takes a while to get to you. And sonic booms are usually double.

@Jason: *Bite*
    Post edited by Starfox on
  • Jason, you can be my wingman any day.
  • edited March 2008
    Tempered glass windows take much more than a sonic blast to break, I once saw a building with tempered glass windows get blown to shit.All the windows were still intact. I can pound on my sliding glass door with a sledgehammer and it wont break.
    Though I'm not disputing the sub-sonic speeds, tempered glass can take alot of force, or a pin-point blow before it would be broken.
    Post edited by Sir_Xander on
  • Everything there is to know about the 80s can be learned from Top Gun.
  • ZOMG THIS THREAD IS NOW ABOUT AWESOME VIDEOS OF JETS

Bullshit! You can be mine.
    Bullshit! You can be mine.
    Story of our life...
  • Story of our life...
    I was going to post a clip from Hot Shots, but Top Gun is way funnier without even trying.
  • edited April 2008
    I doubt they went supersonic at low altitude. Sonic booms can break windows.

I was at that show also with the blue angels and yes it made so many people jump when it came up behind everyone. It wasn't supersonic though it would have blown the windows out of the skyscrapers as it went by when it circled around the terminal building.
    Post edited by Alan on