This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

server wide email blocking

edited March 2008 in Technology
OK, I'm stumped.

I'm trying to get account information emailed to me from vbulletin and no matter what email address on my server I used it never arrives. This is a recent problem because i have not had problems receiving email from them in the past.

I don't have any email filtering in place on the server and I even went and deleted all the email accounts on the hmtk.com domain and rebuilt them again. I'm still getting all the spam I got before but I am no closer to figuring out why this one domain would be blocked. My next step is to contact the company that hosts my server but I can't think of any reason why they would be blocking email from vbulletin.com.

Any suggestions of where to look?

Right now I'm going through my /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog file with vi doing /variable. to look for instances of their emails coming in and bouncing but no luck yet.

Comments

• Right now I'm going through my /usr/local/psa/var/log/maillog file with vi doing /variable. to look for instances of their emails coming in and bouncing but no luck yet.
    You need to learn to use grep.

Also, e-mail sucks. This is why we switched to using Gmail for domains.
  • I did end up saying to myself, "Why am I not using Grep?"

I did the basic "grep -i vbulletin /usr/local/psa/...." a few minutes after writing the above post. Still no hits in the log files. I've got the terminal open and every five minutes I run the commands again.

Funny thing about Grep is that I wrote a short grep clone a few years back thinking I was being very creative... Until I spoke with one of my friends who used to run the network at the local private school. He explained that I had just written grep.

All I can think of is that there is a DNS problem somewhere and later this week I'm going to get pounded with hundreds of emails from them.
  • Looks like the messages sat on their db.jelsoft.com server for a long time.

Received: (qmail 17939 invoked from network); 1 Apr 2008 03:59:12 -0700
    Received: from db.jelsoft.com (209.62.16.134) by 69-64-84-111.dedicated.abac.net with SMTP; 1 Apr 2008 03:59:12 -0700
    Received: from web2.jelsoft.com (web2 [192.168.1.101]) by db.jelsoft.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 401BE118037D for ; Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:38:29 -0500 (CDT)
    Received: by web2.jelsoft.com (Postfix, from userid 48) id 04ED5165803A; Mon, 31 Mar 2008 11:38:28 -0500 (CDT)