This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What exactly can I expect from an anime convention?

edited March 2008 in Conventions
I got into manga/anime stuff about 2yrs ago. My best friend got into it about four or five years ago. She's been to an anime con, and so have a few other friends of mine, and I've gotta say, if the GeekNights guys could do a show on what goes on in anime cons, it'd be a big help. But I digress. I call myself an anime junkie, rather than geek, or just plain fan. Anime is like crack to me (I'm in my local B&N store so often, they're beginning to know me...) Unfortunately for me, B&N is all I have around me. Anyway, what exactly goes on at these anime cons? Do they sell stuff?...do you get some stuff for free?...do they have anime AND manga there? I feel a little dumb, but I've wondered if it's worth the effort to get there. How do you get there? From start to finish, how do you successfully get to and get through an anime con? How many NYC cons do they have, and are they around the same time each year?

Comments

• edited March 2008
    For starters, here is a good source for checking for cons in the area: http://www.animecons.com/events/map.shtml

Then for your questions...
    Do they sell stuff?
    Yep, every anime con has a dealers room that sells a variety of stuff. The bigger the con, the bigger and better the dealers room.
    Do you get some stuff for free?
    Usually, no. I got a free DS charm thingy at my first Colossalcon, and I got free stuff for winning a Rock Band tournament...but other than that, no free stuff.
    Do they have anime AND manga?
    Anime, manga, AND videogames!
    I feel a little dumb, but I've wondered if it's worth the effort to get there. How do you get there?
    Well, determining whether or not it's worth the effort is completely up to you. Things to take into consideration: how long will you be staying? How much will it cost you? Do you have proper transportation?
    As for how you get there...drive, fly, take a train, take the subway....it's totally up to you.
    How many NYC cons do they have, and are they around the same time each year?
    NYAF is the only one I can think of off the top of my head, but I'm sure there's a ton more.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Anime cons are a lot more than just buying stuff. There are panels, events, game shows, contest, cosplays, video showings, concerts, dances, and more.
  • Another aspect is meeting and having fun with people. Plus taking pics of cosplayers and meeting your favorite webcomickers, voice actors or podcasters.
  • Since pretty much everyone answered the other main questions, then I'll add in my two cents on how to get there and get through it.

First of all: Save. In your budget, you should include: Food, Transportation, Place to stay, and o' course, Spending money.

I usually figure in about 10-15 dollars a meal, 3 meals a day. This way I can have really nice meals, especially at dinner, and not worry about taking it away from spending money. This usually can cover snacks too. For the days, don't forget to add in traveling time. Say you go from one city to another, and it takes about a day from morning to latish afternoon to get there, and another pretty much full day to get home. Of course these will go on each side of your actual con, so thus two extra days & $60-$90 extra for food.

Transportation includes any flights or buses to and from destinations or gas money, or cab fare. Always round up if you don't have exacts, and don't forget taxes! Make sure to have a little extra for taxis for sure, in case you get drunk or stranded. Have some change if you drive yourself for parking meters.

Because you're booking the hotel in advance, you should know where you're staying and how much it is. If you don't book in advance, you won't be able to find a hotel close by, and while this is fairly unimportant if you drive yourself around, if you're busing or using taxis, you'll either be spending a crap load of money, or a lot of time.

Registration and other fees should also be predetermined.

Spending money should be quite a bit in my mind. Consider either bringing a lot of money (a thousand or so; it goes down as you go to more and more or if you get a proper anime store) or budgeting. Include any art you might want to buy - that's where a good percentage of my money goes - and any manga/anime that you want to buy. Vendors rooms usually have a lot of stuff. Unless you're frugal with how much you spend on the Japanese snacks, consider putting this under the budget too - if you buy thirty dollars of Japanese snacks using food money, you might get a little screwed on the trip home. Put more into the budget if you've been known to go on crazy shopping trips, a little less if you're smarter with your money.

In Canadian, I figure to go from where I am (Grande Prairie, AB) to Otafest in Calgary, AB, it'll cost me approximately $119 for bus and a further $60 for taxis, around $180 for food, $20 for registration, $125 for hotel (splitting with a friend), and about $500 total for spending - which includes emergency money. This is not counting any taxes. Total amount: $1004, not including taxes.

Booking things ahead of time will save you stress and money. Bigger cons will give discounts for registering as soon as they open up the online lines. If you book the hotel as soon as they will let you, that'll also be a discount (although not much), and Greyhound generally also gives discounts for paying early. Better yet: use any other discounts - if you're a student, flash that card constantly.

Actually getting through the convention is easy. To start off with, if you have anything you want to find (such as, say, Negima manga volume 12 and that special edition version of the Cowboy Bebop DVD set), make a list of it before leaving. If you have a lot of manga and anime, make a list of what you already have so you don't buy doubles. Try and take a friend with you or meet up with them. It's cheaper (hotels and taxis!) and a lot funner. Grab a registration book, sit down and decide what you wanna do - go the Artist Alley, see this panel about webcomicing, or the one with the voice actors, the dance, and so on. Try to avoid the vendors room until it calms down a bit - don't get in line first thing unless you're a pro. Then, just go along with the flow. If you want to take pictures of cosplayers or just awesomely dressed people, remember to stop them and ask politely. Be sure to know how to use your camera. Enjoy!

(Oh dear god I rambled.)
  • edited March 2008
    meeting your favorite webcomickers, voice actors or podcasters
    Though, this kinda stuff can't be expected at every con.
    Thus far, every con I've been to has at least had a few guests, most of which being voice actors, very few being webcomickers and podcasters...and meeting them can be difficult if the con is fairly big.

Kage-rod: That's kinda over the top. I wouldn't suggest getting a hotel and the full 9 yards for your first con, unless you'll be going with a seasoned congoer (and while he said he has a friend who's been to a con, he never said he'd be going with said friend). Odds are, something will go wrong (and it'll be even worse as a first time congoer), and it'll ruin a big portion the con.
    And traveling...for a day? I'd say that most people can usually find a con that's within 1-2 hours from them, if they're living in America (and especially NY).

And a grand? It's kinda pointless to suggest a number unless you know what con you're going to and for how long.
    For Ohayocon, I usually end up spending about $200-500 on the whole weekend depending on food, gas prices, how many people are splitting the hotel, and shit like that. For smaller cons, like Colossalcon and A&G; Ohio, I can get away with spending $100-150 including hotel and food costs. Subway=filling and cheap :).
    Then if you just go for a day? Shoot, I can probably manage on $50 (considering badge is between $20-30 and then you need to cover food).
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • How about also listening to the attending convention episodes of GeekNights?
    meeting your favorite webcomickers, voice actors or podcasters
    Though, this kinda stuff can't be expected at every con.
    Thus far, every con I've been to has at least had a few guests, most of which being voice actors, very few being webcomickers and podcasters...and meeting them can be difficult if the con is fairly big.
    I'm just spoiled by Otakon, Katsucon and Anime USA. :P
  • Kage-rod: That's kinda over the top. I wouldn't suggest getting a hotel and the full 9 yards for your first con, unless you'll be going with a seasoned congoer (and while he said he has a friend who's been to a con, he never said he'd be going with said friend). Odds are, something will go wrong (and it'll be even worse as a first time congoer), and it'll ruin a big portion the con.
    And traveling...for a day? I'd say that most people can usually find a con that's within 1-2 hours from them, if they're living in America (and especially NY).

And a grand? It's kinda pointless to suggest a number unless you know what con you're going to and for how long.
    For Ohayocon, I usually end up spending about $200-500 on the whole weekend depending on food, gas prices, how many people are splitting the hotel, and shit like that. For smaller cons, like Colossalcon and A&G; Ohio, I can get away with spending $100-150 including hotel and food costs. Subway=filling and cheap :).
    Then if you just go for a day? Shoot, I can probably manage on $50 (considering badge is between $20-30 and then you need to cover food).
    Haha, yeah I know it's a bit over the top but.. unless you have a con close by (which I didn't until I made one last year), you have to go the "full 9 yards". And yeah, it takes a full day because of the overlays and such - I go by bus to get to Calgary or Edmonton, and at the very least it's 5 hours away by normal people speed. The bus goes much slower.

And I did mention which con it'd be. I wasn't suggesting it for them - I was giving an example. My costs are rather large because of the traveling and hotels and the fact that I always have emergency cash because I'm paranoid.

Subway is filling, but I've always went to a celebratory dinner somewhere, and while it's not that expensive, it's still about 20 dollars with tip. So that takes 5 dollars from somewhere else, and then I always always always buy snacks because of my eating habits and such. Any extra is just for emergency.
  • Otakufunk. =P
  • Otakufunk. =P
    Fanboys and fangirls too. Lets not scare him away with negatives, ok. :)
  • Fanboys and fangirls too. Lets not scare him away with negatives, ok. :)
    Better to truthful to prepare him for the worse then letting him go in blind and without noseplugs. ^_~
    Better to truthful to prepare him for the worse then letting him go in blind and without noseplugs. ^_~
    That reminds me! The rave is awesome.....

unless it's Otakon.
  • I got into manga/anime stuff about 2yrs ago.
    You'll fit in fine.
  • Usually, no. I got a free DS charm thingy at my first Colossalcon, and I got free stuff for winning a Rock Band tournament...but other than that, no free stuff.
    Times have changed. You used to get more free stuff than you could carry at most anime conventions. Posters, nice bags, fans, little useless pieces of colored plastic: you name it.
    edited April 2008
    How about also listening to the attending convention episodes of GeekNights?
    I agree with Viga here. So they've fulfilled your request for an anime con episode already, several times.

And what's with the bold? Just split your post into two paragraphs, bold makes it stand out yes, but it's not like it wouldn't be read if it was not bold. Secondly, periods are not supposed to be put directly after a question mark. Let alone three! I mean, what the hell? You type properly in the first half, and then once you get to the relatively important stuff you pull open the drawers of Saint Stupid! You do not see a 100m sprinter training hard and then wearing clowns shoes on the day of the race.

EDIT: To clear my point just in case, this is not your average forum. Your posts will be noticed and read without you having to resort to bold, all caps and a multiple of 11 exclamation marks.
    Post edited by ... on
    That reminds me! The rave is awesome.....

unless it's Otakon.
    Or if the con is small. Colossalcon and A&G; Ohio's raves weren't totally lame, but they also totally paled in comparison to Ohayocon's rave.
  • Lucky for me, money for food isn't a problem. I don't see myself being so bold as to go outside the NY area. Transportation, also not an issue (except for gas for driving).
  • Oh good. ^-^; Yeah, I did go the full crazy 9 yards, but that's because in my situation I have to. I assumed NYC was close to you and that was all. After all, you said you had only a local B&E store, whatever that is.
  • Here is a lifesaving tip:
    Don't buy anything at your first con. Trust me. If you pull out your wallet, you will regret it. Half the things you will buy, you won't ever need. You might get an awesome deal on some stuff but unless you have a decent job, its really not worth spending. It may look cute and it may look shiny. Smack yourself! Don't buy it!
  • edited April 2008
    Here is a lifesaving tip:
    Don't buy anything at your first con. Trust me. If you pull out your wallet, you will regret it. Half the things you will buy, you won't ever need. You might get an awesome deal on some stuff but unless you have a decent job, its really not worth spending. It may look cute and it may look shiny. Smack yourself! Don't buy it!
    Why does that apply to your first con and not every con? :P

Anyways, my dealers room advice:
    For DVDs and CDs- First, make sure you read up on bootlegs before buying. Dealers at cons are notorious for having bootlegged goods. Here is a good guide. Second, check Righstuf and Amazon for their prices, since usually con dealers don't offer any better deals (except in their bargin bins, which are usually worth looking through).

For manga- usually you can get a better deal on Rightstuf or Amazon. So if you're looking for anything in particular, check those sites before going to the con. If they have anything for really cheap (like $1-3), you probably WON'T regret getting it.

For videogames- well, first off, not many cons have video game dealers. They tend to go to the biggest cons only. Regardless, check play asia for what they're charging before buying ANYTHING from dealers at cons. Usually Play Asia kicks the shit out of dealers' prices (at least Mad Gear's...).

For posters, wall scrolls, figures, other shit: Don't buy it unless it's cheap and won't put you over your budget.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • Sunday sale. On Sunday they try to get rid of much things as possible. Look around the other days and try to get it on Sunday for cheaper.

This tactic wont apply to hot selling items though. I learned that lesson while trying to get the Yoko of Gurren Lagann artbook and Yoko doujin and Yoko merchandise! *cries* I love you, Yoko!

Ahem. Anyway with really popular items that everyone wants you would want to pounce on it on Friday.
  • Before I make any purchases in the dealers room I ask myself these questions:

Do I really need this?
    Is this something I truly want?
    Is this something that is very hard to find and/or is limited?
    Can I find it cheaper online or at my home shopping area?

If your first 3 answers are "yes" and the last one "no", then normally I deem the purchase worth it.

Also what Viga said about the Sunday deals, it's fairly true. Vendors that come from long distances would rather sell as many items as they can then have to pay for shipping the stuff back home.
  • I tend to be the person walking around the con with a lot of large bags full of swag from the Dealers Room, so I will not weigh in on this topic.
  • About Sunday deals...out of all the cons I've been to (the biggest being Ohayocon '08 with roughly 5-6k people, smallest being A&G Ohio '08 with maybe 500 people), the best Sunday deal I've ever been able to find is 10% off all manga at a manga dealer.

So really...I don't get it. What cons have sunday deals worth noting (cause IMO, 10% off manga isn't worth noting)?
  • Most of the deals happen around when the Dealers Room closes on Sunday. It's a very last minute sort of thing.
  • So really...I don't get it. What cons have sunday deals worth noting (cause IMO, 10% off manga isn't worth noting)?
    Alot of it is bantering. Saying "I'll buy this and this and this for 40 bucks, and you don't have to truck it back home" type stuff.
  • The only time I buy something at an anime con is if it is either incredibly cheap, or impossible to find elsewhere. For example, I will buy a Galaxy Express 999 movie poster at a con, because that is not an easy thing to buy online. I will also buy copies of Sanctuary, because it is an out of print manga that is hard to buy online. I will not buy manga or DVDs that are easily available on Netflix or Amazon, unless they are cheaper than Amazon.
  • Yeah, one thing I do look for are non bootleg CDs. Usually, they're like $30, which is more than I'd wanna spend...but I've found legit OSTs and whatnot for around $10. That's worth it to me.
  • Luckily, bootlegs are practically non-existent at large anime cons like Otakon.
  • True. Even at Ohayocon there were very few bootlegs. Though there was one game dealer (video games NY, I think. I know it wasn't Mad Gear) that had obviously bootlegged GBA games.
  • edited April 2008
    I tend to be the person walking around the con with a lot of large bags full of swag from the Dealers Room, so I will not weigh in on this topic.
    I'll probably do that, too!
    Anything going on this Summer in June, July, or August in NYC???
    Post edited by writerm on