This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Barack Obama

RymRym
edited April 2008 in Politics
I just thought I'd share that I've donated $100 to Barack's campaign today. He's so close to winning the nomination, and I'm feeling more and more like he is going to be a revolutionary (in the good way, not the Che way) and historic president. I cannot stress how strongly I favor his nomination and election, and I'm curious if any of you out there are backing him or are part of the campaign.

Comments

• He will be getting my vote in November.
  • I have been trying to rally people to his side at my school, and it has worked to some extent.
  • I love Barack 'n' roll
    So I sent a dime to Obama, baby . . .
  • I'm not really active and I have no real money to donate, but I voted for him, and plan on doing so in the general election.
  • edited April 2008
    Well I voted for him at the caucus, and I'm also an alternate as a delegate. I will be buying bought several bumper stickers and poster boards to put in my car.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I don't live in the States, so I haven't been able to support him by participating in any of the official processes. The most I've been able to do is follow supportive websites and Facebook groups. ^^; Do American campaigns accept donations in Canadian money?
  • I've donated like $30 so far. I imagine I'll donate more later once the general election comes around.
  • I voted for him in my state's Democratic primary.
  • I had planned to vote for him in the general election, but no candidate deserves my money. I did register as a Democrat to vote for him in my state primary.
  • I have donated and am applying to join the Obama Organizing Fellows when it starts up.
  • I voted for him in Ohio's primary. I'm also retarded and put "pat of the organization", since I thought that encompassed voting. Whatever, consider my vote a "nothing of note" vote instead, I guess.

All in all, I'm supporting the democrats. I like Obama more than Hillary, but if Hillary gets the nomination, it's not the end of the world. I'm just anti-Mccain.
  • edited April 2008
    I've donated 75 dollars and there is a excellent chance I'll be going door to door with the campaign tomorrow. (I gotta give that guy a call, since they are going door to door in my area).
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • I'm a non-american, but I've sort of slid a few of his speeches and videos across to them, since just the simple act of exposing people to Obama make them want to vote for him
  • edited April 2008
    Do American campaigns accept donations in Canadian money?
    I would assume so, particularly as it is now worth more than ours.
    Post edited by Kate Monster on

• I would assume so, particularly as it is now worth more than ours.
    Actually there is a rule about no "foreign" money being allowed in use in a election to my knowledge.... (this might not count in primaries but I'm pretty sure it does)
  • edited April 2008
    Actually there is a rule about no "foreign" money being allowed in use in a election to my knowledge.... (this might not count in primaries but I'm pretty sure it does)
    I s'pose that's to stop other countries messing up the campaigns by investing tonnes into candidates who favor them.

So.. what is Obama's political position?
    Post edited by Omnutia on

• So.. what is Obama's political position?
    Position on what?
  • Ok, bad question. What are his main aims should he become prince of America?
  • Ok, bad question. What are his main aims should he become prince of America?
    You have no idea how broad this question is.
  • Political positions of Barack Obama
    Pretty damn good, all things considered. Doesn't sound like a crook (but crooks rarely do) so you should be in for a good few years ahead of you. Any personal impressions?
    I still find the idea of electing a leader independent of a party a bit odd but it's all politics in the end.
  • edited April 2008
    Doesn't really matter what I think, since I'm not American but he seems a pretty genuine guy who is one of the few candidates who I seem to feel actually deserves to be the president, rather than someone being voted for because he isn't the worst. That being said, he's not perfect.

You should also watch this if you have the time (37 minutes):

I noticed you can donate using google checkout... which is like a pseudo-paypal. I wanted to see if it would even let me donate, it will but the first thing I see is: "1. I am a United States citizen or a lawfully-admitted permanent resident." along with some other rules. Whilst the money would go through, I'd probably get his candidacy into trouble rather than help.
    Post edited by Norvu on
  • I still find the idea of electing a leader independent of a party a bit odd but it's all politics in the end.
    What do you mean? You only determine a candidate by party instead of particular issues?
  • edited April 2008
    I listened to the full 37 mins of speech, though as you all know I'm not an American.
    It does seem like Obama would make a good president; I would vote for him if I were a U.S. citizen.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • I signed up to be a volunteer a number of months ago, and the person I signed up with said that I'd get some emails with instructions in the next few weeks.
    Not only have I not received any sort of "instructional email", but I've been bombarded with "donate now donate now donate now" emails consistently. :-\
  • I still find the idea of electing a leader independent of a party a bit odd but it's all politics in the end.
    What do you mean? You only determine a candidate by party instead of particular issues?
    In England you only choose your local MP in the general election. The party with the most MPs is then the party in power and can choose their leader. The American system seems odd to me as you could have a president from a party in the minority.

• I would assume so, particularly as it is now worth more than ours.
    My attempt at humor failed.
  • edited April 2008
    Most of the work I have done is convincing family members that hes not the anti-christ. The ignorance of some people in my family astounds me to no end. Even though I don't like the in-fighting between him and Hillary he is the better candidate of the two.

Obama is getting my vote.
    Post edited by Alan on
  • After the various things he started saying about NAFTA and about how he wanted to change it to be more "fair" he any support I would have given him, that said I'm not a US citizen, and Hillary more or less said the same thing. At the end of the day I've honestly started thinking he just has some good handlers who tell him all the "good" things to say.
  • So yesterday I worked at a Obama campaign office. I was going to go door to door canvassing but found they needed someone to call all the volunteers for Sunday's canvassing assignments. So I spent the next 2 hours calling houses of people who asked to volunteer. Judging from what I saw at the office, if you were a homeless person you would be best served spending all your time helping a political campaign out. They are definitely well fed (from donations). Anyhow, if your not the type to make phone calls or go door to door a campaign always needs someone to man the front of the office or enter in data. Not to mention, if you want to donate food or give them a place to sleep (since lots of them are from out of state) they are always welcome.

My dad a republican committeeman was none too happy with me ^_^ of course he still can't get it out of his head that Obama is not a radical Muslim in disguise.