This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 080409 - Newspaper Comics

RymRym
edited April 2008 in Manga/Comics
Tonight on GeekNights, we talk briefly about newspaper comics. Rym previews some of what we're doing at the New York Comic Con, and Scott tries out a different box.

Scott's Thing - If Only THIS were the X-Men
Rym's Thing - Those were the (Hermes House Band) Days

Comments

• Did anyone else see today's Dilbert and think of Scott?
  • Did anyone else see today's Dilbert and think of Scott?
    Nope.
  • edited April 2008
    You respect the Calvin and Hobbes and Bloom County. I like that! *thumbs up* Those two strips were awesome.

Opus is a penguin. That is all.

Scott's box is awesome. I will have to try some of the stuff in the box to be. Keep the box...open. Hahahahah lame joke! ^_^

Also, I love the heck out of Bill Watterson. Most of the shit you said sucked I thought sucked for a looooong time!

I used to like Boondocks a lot for about a few months when it first dropped. I haven't read it since though. The show is awesome.

What do you think about For Better or for Worst. It the only comic strip that ages with time. By that I mean the characters grow up as the comic strips ages. I liked that fact about it but I still didn't like the comic that much.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • I think the actual reason for the Yellow kid to be the "first comic strip" it's because it was the first one with recurring characters, other comics were just satirical portraits of actual people, or situational doodles, maybe on a same style, but not the same characters, but I'm not really sure.
  • edited April 2008
    What do you think about For Better or for Worst. It the only comic strip that ages with time. By that I mean the characters grow up as the comic strips ages. I liked that fact about it but I still didn't like the comic that much.
    It is not the only comic strip that does this. Try Gasoline Alley aka Walt + Skeezix.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited April 2008
    Scott's box: could you do both? I mean, if you're getting monthly boxes, then you'd be doing just 2 segments a month, one for box to be and one for box just received. Is that too much to ask for? Cause really, they are BOTH useful/interesting. As you guys said, box to be is a good idea of what people could/should buy, whereas box received is good for hearing about what's good and what's crap.

Regarding the state of Wednesdays: I like some of the comics episodes. For instance, your episodes on V for Vendetta and Bone got me into them. Some of your comic shows aren't up my alley, though. And for the most part, manga and anime vastly outnumber the amount of comic episodes you guys do, so I'd say your pacing for Wednesdays is alright.

Regarding newspaper comics: I read zits, boondocks (I downloaded 4 years worth. I'm slowly trudging through them), speed bump, bizzaro, and pearls before swine. Pearls before Swine has been getting really shitty lately, so that's probably going to be the next thing I drop.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • edited April 2008
    sorry, didn't read the quote, i thought you were referring to my comment.
    Post edited by MrRoboto on
  • I vote for the box that has already been because that is more interesting than hearing a preview.
  • I like the non Japanese cartoons and comics Wednesday because there are already a bazillion anime podcast out there.
  • edited April 2008
    I like the non Japanese cartoons and comics Wednesday because there are already a bazillion anime podcast out there.
    There's a lot of comics podcasts too you know.

Anyway, keep a good balance of manga to comics.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Maybe I am jaded because I really only hear of the big ones over here, but I read a few of the newer ones and the only newspaper comic strips that I found worthwhile are Calvin & Hobbes (I own the complete box which ways like 12 kg), Hägar the Horrible and Peanuts.
  • Pearls Before Swine has a very kind of dark humor. It's really quite good.
  • Scott's box: I think you should do both, just put them in the same segment. Go down a check list of what has arrived since the previous Scott's Box, and say if each comic was must-buy, kind of awesome, meh, insipid, or a complete abomination. If you stay on topic and don't spend time defending your positions, you should have time to quickly preview a list of comics your ordering for future Scott's Box's.

Rym's Theme Weeks: I'm a bit indifferent about the current week's theme, but I like the idea and appreciate Rym's enthusiasm. So, I say keep doing it.

Boondocks was the last newspaper strip I read regularly. I haven't found any others worth reading since then, partly because I don't read paper newspapers much any more.
  • I agree with J.Sharp, start the segment with a hands-on preview of what has come in, and then the on sight previews of what is coming in the next box. Could be done pretty quickly I think.

As for Rym's stuff (just blatantly copies the format of J.Sharp's post), eh, I didn't catch the previous theme week, or at least not that I remember, and I do not care about this theme week. Keep it though, it's a great idea, the subject for this one just doesn't interest me. I have nothing with the song.
  • Some Newspaper Comics I like:

1. Get Fuzzy - a cat, a dog, and a geeky bachelor. Very odd, and kinda hilarious. The cat is such a jerk.
    2. One Big Happy - A little less dysfunctional than Lilo and Stitch, but with a good dose of that weird little kid dialogue. Not precious, funny.
    3. Boondocks - In the Golden Era, this was a great comic
    4. For Better or for Worse - Slice of Life. Not very funny, but the daily strips, when read a bunch at a time, are a but interesting.

Oldies but goodies:

1. Calvin and Hobbes
    2. Bloom County
    3. Krazy Kat
    4. (The nerdy strips) Foxtrot
  • 1. Get Fuzzy - a cat, a dog, and a geeky bachelor. Very odd, and kinda hilarious. The cat is such a jerk.
    BEHOLD! THE POWER OF THE GEEK! Making the Garfield concept enjoyable!
  • edited April 2008
    That cat is so much more of an asshole than Garfield ever was.
    Wiki Get Fuzzy Entry
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • edited April 2008
    I honestly don't keep up with any newspaper comics anymore. However I do enjoy buying Foxtrot and Get Fuzzy books. Get Fuzzy is just too awesome. I love Get Fuzzy. There really isn't a comic that doesn't give me a good laugh or giggle.

I did enjoy these oldies:

Calvin and Hobbes
    For Better or Worse
    (others I can't think of)
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • I don't know why so many people like Get Fuzzy. Dilbert is funny a handful of times per year. Get Fuzzy is never funny.
  • Get Fuzzy is never funny.
    I've laughed at it a few times.
  • Get Fuzzy is never funny.
    I've laughed at it a few times.
    Someone show me a funny one.
  • I don't know why so many people like Get Fuzzy. Dilbert is funny a handful of times per year. Get Fuzzy is never funny.
    I guess it's just a difference in opinion. How much of Get Fuzzy have you read?

For myself, as the wiki has stated, I enjoy how Bucky is crazy, cynical, and selfish and his comments he makes to Rob and Satchel. Satchel is cute because he's adorably naive and easily amused. Rob is your basic geeky nerdy guy. There are a few strips where Darby pokes a lot of fun at Rob's nerdiness when they talk about D&D.;

That's just me.
  • Come on, the cat's three goals in life are to kill the ferret who lives next door, to eat a monkey, and to star in his own movie. If this was a web comic, I would read it a lot.
  • Someone show me a funny one
    If I'm not lazy when I get home, I might scan some.
  • Someone show me a funny one
    If I'm not lazy when I get home, I might scan some.
    They're all online. Linkify!
  • edited April 2008
    ey're all online. Linkify!
    Are you talking about from here? I only see the last 30 days.

Edit:
    Nevermind I found it also on blogspot. Give me some time. I really should be working, but meh. This is more important! (Proving Scott wrong, that is :P)
  • I really should be working, but meh. This is more important! (Proving Scott wrong, that is :P)
    Damn straight.
  • edited April 2008
    Ok, I'm going to try to get some work done, however I remember this one from my tear a day calendar. The last panel puts "Dueling Banjos" in my head.

There are certain strips that I can remember that really got me, but searching through all them will take a while.