This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Brazil is turning into China

edited April 2008 in Politics
Free Speech is something I value very highly. I hate the idea of censorship and everybody who tries to impose it, mostly because they are in general fools who are unwilling or unable to comprehend and accept new concepts. Unfortunately this seems to include the judges in Brazil.

Recently, Brazil ordered ISPs to shut out YouTube and is now blocking out WordPress. On the oh so controversial side of video games, Brazil just banned Bully after making Counter-Strike and Everquest illegal in January.

I am very concerned about this although I am sure that tech savvy people will easily circumvent these ridiculous and stupid laws. At least the neighboring country to my north, Germany, is not this stupid (yet... again)

Comments

• At the same time Brazil is all about open source, Creative Commons, and free culture. Oh, the hypocrisy!
  • jccjcc
    edited April 2008
    Brazil didn't order anything. In each case, a judge in Brazil made a decision which could be appealed in a higher court if need be.

Let the Brazilians deal with Brazil. :) It's their country, after all.
    Post edited by jcc on
  • So since i'm a brazillian i can say, we got plenty of Free speech here...
    Our high court recently judged a law that sayd that no media coud opine on the candidates for president, and they said it is unconstitutional...
    We got some shitty politics, but everyone have them dont?

Wondering if there are other brazilians on the foruns?

Sorry about my grammar, as i said i'm brazilian
    I don't usually write in english other then some code, i know the forum rules and will strugle to get better :]
  • I don't usually write in english other then some code, i know the forum rules and will strugle to get better :]
    I like you, new guy.
  • Also,
    opine
    I don't usually write in english
    -- what? Native English speakers don't even use that word!
  • Brazil movie trailer
    Fuck that movie, it was terrible.
  • Brazil movie trailer
    I do believe that you are overwhelmingly wrong ^_~
  • Brazil movie trailer
    Seriously, that movie sucked. The only funny bit was the 27B-6.
  • Brazil movie trailer
    Maybe he didn't get it? I'm not playing devil's advocate or anything, but it is really surreal and very difficult to understand if you don't pay enough attention to it.
  • Our high court recently judged a law that sayd that no media coud opine on the candidates for president, and they said it is unconstitutional...
    No offense, new guy, because you're cool and all, but merely having passed such a law in the first place casts a pretty barbaric hue on the country. It's like saying, "Hey, we're all for sexual equality because we repealed that law about muzzling our women at night."
  • No offense, new guy, because you're cool and all, but merely having passed such a law in the first place casts a pretty barbaric hue on the country. It's like saying, "Hey, we're all for sexual equality because we repealed that law about muzzling our women at night."
    Good point!!
    So we have free speech and we have good judges but our politician... THE WORST POLITICS EVER!!!!

About the games... someone appealed on CS some months later and won, so it's legal again...
    Actually, no one really cares... buying games here it's so unusual... 90% of the time people just pirate everything... not because we are all "punk kids" but the taxes are CRAZY here...
    Bioshock 2 on amazon US$35.00
    Bioshock 2 on Digimer R$99.00 or US$57.39
  • Actually, no one really cares... buying games here it's so unusual... 90% of the time people just pirate everything... not because we are all "punk kids" but the taxes are CRAZY here...
    Fuckit, I'm buying my games in Brazil from now on.
  • Brazil is a interesting film. I've only watched the directors cut though. Never saw the theatrical release that is supposed to have a happy ending.
  • I think I saw the directors cut with the "unhappy" ending. I'm not sure what would be considered a happy ending to that film.
  • I think I saw the directors cut with the "unhappy" ending. I'm not sure what would be considered a happy ending to that film.
    They just leave off the ending shot where he is not actually free, but mentally broken from the the torture

Also, George, you suck. You must at least admit that the film was visually splendid, if nothing else.
  • Terry Gilliam films makes some great films. If you didn't care for Brazil you should check out some of his other works that are more accessible. Time Bandits and The Adventures of Baron Munchausen are great romps.
  • George, you suck.
    Yes, I keep being informed of this.
    You must at least admit that the film was visually splendid, if nothing else.
    I'll give you "interesting," but not "splendid."
  • edited September 2010
    George, you suck.
    Seriously. Like, really suck. We're talking solar masses of dick, here.
    Post edited by WindUpBird on
  • edited September 2010
    George, you suck.
    Yes, you are a bad person because you do not like the media that I like. Be gone from my sight!

No, I use it in the friendly, Scott Pilgrim like way, like how Scott talks to Wallace.
    Post edited by gomidog on