This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

NEW Anime Season Thread!! a.k.a. Till The Industry DIES!!

edited April 2008 in Anime
The new season with a ton of new anime has started in Japan, so I thought, hereby a thread to preview and inform each other about the new anime and whether they're worth it to watch, or not.

Here's the list (as far as I know):
St. Seiya The Hades Chapter-Elysion
Koharu Biyori Part III
BUS GAMER
Gag Manga 3
Ikuze Gen-san
Chi's Sweet Home
Hoshi no Umi no Amuri
Petite Eva
Sugar Bunnies Zushokou
Yu-Gi-Oh 5D's
Kyou Kara Maou! 3rd Season
Allison to Lillia
Macross FRONTIER
xxxHOLic Kei
To Love-Ru
kure-nai
Kirarin Revolution Season 3
The Tower of Druaga ~the Aegis of URUK~
Itazura na Kiss
Amatsuki
Penguin no Mondai
Duel Masters Cross
BLUE DRAGON Tenkai no Shichi Ryuu
Kanokon
D.C. II S.S.~Da Capo II Second Season~
Kamen no Maid Guy
BLASSREITER
Internet Ghost PIPOPA
Onegai My Melody Kirara☆
Zettai Karen Children
Code Geass Lelouch of the Rebellion R2
Wagaya no Oinari-sama.
Nabari no Ou
S-A ~Special-A~
Neo Angelique Abyss
Hakkentai Kennai Suki! Shimajirou.
Soul Eater
Fire Ball
Vampire Knight
Monochrome Factor
Uchino 3 Shimai
RD Sennou Chousashitsu
Crystal Blaze
Himitsu ~Top Secret~ The Revelation
Kaiba
Toshokan Sensou
Junjou Romantica
Golgo 13
Kyouran Kazoku Nikki
Nijuu Menzou Musume
Penguin Musume Heart
Candy Boy

Viga has already told me she's glad to preview Kanokon and To Love-RU for us. (Advice, let her be the only one to watch those shows)
I, myself, will preview, as the fansubs come out, Allison to Lillia, Amatsuki, Blassreiter, Crystal Blaze, Druaga no To: the Aegis of Uruk, Himitsu: The Revelation, Itazura na Kiss, Kamen no Maid Guy, Monochrome Factor, Nabari no Ou, Real Drive, Soul Eater, Special A, Vampire Knight, Wagaya no Oinari-sama and Catman. EDIT: The list is completer (is that a word? Second time btw) now, thus I can see which anime I have forgotten to copy from my try list. Yeah, I'm lazy and didn't use that. Anyways, I will also attempt to watch Golgo 13, Kaiba and Nijuu-Mensou no Musume.

Some of those series have already aired their first episode. So here are the first few:

Blassreiter - I have no idea how to describe this, SciFi, androids, motorcycles, crazy stuff. A lot of CG animation, those parts are actually nice to watch (I personally dislike too much or too bad CG in anime alongside cellshaded animation). There were, in my opinion a few too over dramatic moments in the first episode, but this probably due to the characters not yet being fleshed out (what do you want from a first episode?) and me not yet caring for them. And some decent action scenes.
The rough plot outline of the first episode: Eh (how the fuck am I going to do this), The anime takes places in Germany, and revolves around Germany's greatest motor racer. He becomes paralyzed from the waist down after an android attacks the race circuit during a race. He of course wants to keep working with the team but gets fired, for what does a motor racing team have to do for an invalid? This eventually leads to him obtaining an experimental drug.
The other half of the story follows his friend (sorry, I suck at names and already forgot the names in this anime), a riot police officer (iirc) with a motorcycle. I have no idea what "Blass" means, but we all know by now for sure what "Reiter" means. This friend and his colleagues hunt down the android that attack the race circuit and try to destroy it. Near the end of the episode they catch it, but fail to destroy it. However, a different android, on a huge purple motor cycle comes to the aid of these cops and destroys this android once and for all.

Druaga no To: the Aegis of Uruk - My computer failed at playing the fansub. However, this is one of the anime that is being released by Gonzo zero-day on Youtube and Crunchy Roll (just like Blassreiter), thus after having watched the first 30 seconds before the actual opener, with HUGE framedrops consisting of seconds worth of frames, I decided to watch it on Youtube. Sure, the quality there is horrible, but the subs are readable, and I had already found out from the little bit I saw that this was going to be an awesome anime. AniDB has "Parody" as one of its categories! And it certainly is awesome. Now, I have never played D&D, but I feel pretty certain in saying that this anime to some extent also has D&D in its list of things to parody. It is really fun, I laughed a ton and will not spoil a single bit. GO WATCH!

Itazura na Kiss - Shoujo anime.
In the romantic comedy story, a high school girl named Kotoko finally tells a fellow senior named Naoki that she has loved him from afar since she saw him on their first day of high school. However, Naoki, a haughty "super-ikemen" (handsome male) with smarts and sports talent, rejects her offhand. Fate intervenes when a mild earthquake ruins Kotoko's family house. While the house gets rebuilt, Kotoko and her dad stay at the home of her dad's childhood friend...whose son is Naoki.
So it follows a girl and a guy in high school, not much to tell from that, except for the word 'comedy', worth a try, no? The first episode was indeed funny at times, not as great as Druaga, but because I watched this before Druaga I still enjoyed it a bit. The first episode basically just introduces the characters of the anime and ends with the main characters living in the same house. I personally like the style used at comedy moments, and already like Kin-chan. One of the male friends of Kotoko. No, I have no idea what his name is besides that, he's funny. Not much to say, don't know if I'll try episode two.

Vampire Knight - Another shoujo anime in the list. The setting is just present day Japan at a special boarding school somewhere in the woods, we don't see anything besides the school. At this school two classes attend, the Day Class, consisting of humans, and the Night Class, consisting of, yeah you've probably guessed it correctly by now, vampires. The story follows a female human student who has been adopted by the Chairman of the school. She along with a male student from the Day Class have the task of keeping the Day Class from finding out the truth behind the Night Class, that they're vampires. Of course, both of these 'guardians' have some shady past concerning vampires, and for the most part, nothing unexpected happens in the first episode. It has some funny parts and I think I'll try to watch episode 2. Note, DO NOT WATCH THE TRAILER! It is horrible. The images used for the three main characters are the same, OVER AND OVER AND OVER AGAIN. Almost kept me from watching the episode.

I've seen the previews of Soul Eater and Special A. Don't have much to say besides that I think Soul Eater will be more enjoyable than Special A. But we'll see after the first episodes of those anime are subbed.

Note, I'm looking forward to Crystal Blaze, Real Drive and Catman from images and plot synopsizes alone. This was Nine being a baka, have fun.

or is that an baka...

Comments

• edited April 2008
    What I've watched so far.

I bought the first eps of DRUAGA on crunchyroll from Gonzo for $2 and I'm pretty happy, funny episode. I also really liked the opening theme of this show. I'll probably keep buying this (unless it just gets terrible) to support this idea of buying non-DRM anime on the internet. Although I have to say Gonzo fails at anime encoding, 300 Megs for 480p resolution. Most of the 720p anime I download from fansubbers is 200 megs.

Kanokon = furry pron........seriously...............................scary. If you do watch it, you'll see a point in the opening theme where you'll go 'HUH?!?" This is the signal to STOP!

Blassreiter, my friend said it best, "it feels like I'm being punished for something." We watched this show and marveled at how many people didn't do their job by allowing this show to come into existance.

To Love RU = just don't, we actually shut it off before the end and we give almost anything a whole first eps, I mean we finished Kanokon.

Kurenai = could be a good drama, but there was something wrong with the file when I tried to play it.

Hey Myself, did you finish Shigofumi yet?
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Duraga is pretty much the only show that I have any interest for this season and I won't start watching it until some more episodes come out.
  • The only new shows I've seen so far are one episode from the second seasons of xxxHolic and Code Geass. They both look pretty good if you liked the first seasons. It appears that xxxHolic is going for a pretty good arc from the manga, so that seems especially promising. Geass started off on a slightly odd note so I'm at least curious to see how that works itself out. Other than that, I'm sort of waiting to see what other shows get traction/buzz (and a few episodes) before caring. But I will say that Druaga is probably on my shortlist.
  • All I've seen so far was Druaga, and that was pretty funny. IF they can keep that kind of tone and pace, it could be a great show. I do plan on seeing a few others (Macross F, Real Drive, and Crystal Blaze, and whatever I hear through word of mouth), but at the moment I'm still finishing up shows from last season.
  • You forgot about the new season of Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei.
  • I think I'm pretty much going to ignore this new season, except Code Geass. I need to watch the previous season finale first though.
  • edited April 2008
    You forgot about the new season of Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei.
    I think that was last season
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • Yeah, I'm ignoring almost all new anime until something huge comes out like Haruhi or Death Note.
    The latest season, it started on January 2008.
    I consider that last season.
    edited April 2008
    You forgot about the new season of Sayonara Zetsubo Sensei.
    That's previous season, the Winter '07/'08 anime season. This list if for the Spring '08 season, but yes, it's not fully complete. I didn't bother checking if everything was there late last night, but a few things are missing. Blade of the Immortal, Golgo13, a Shin-chan movie and perhaps some more. I'll update the list after this post.
    Hey Myself, did you finish Shigofumi yet?
    *flings a soda can at your head* Not yet.

I'm slightly tempted at just grabbing one of the finished fansubs. *sigh*

Also, Special A and Soul Eater have their first eps fansubbed.

EDIT:

Soul Eater - Awesome. The story is set in late 19th century London (at least the first episode). It follows a few Meisters of a shinigami academy who are tasked with making Shinigami weapons, Death Scythes and the like. The first episode starts with Maka, one such Meister and her partner, Soul, a human weapon who takes the form of a Scythe. The fighting scenes are really good, fluid, fast paced. There are two fights in the first episode. The comedy parts are also great, definitely an anime I will keep watching.

Points of awesome:
    • The headmaster kind of character, Shinigami-sama (Death), is really freaking awesome. I don't know what it is, but there seems to be a trend of headmasters being awesome in anime lately. Blue Drop, Vampire Knight, Soul Eater... Or I'm just crazy (don't answer that please!).
    • SHINIGAMI-CHOP! 'Nuff said.
    • The art style is really cool. Twisted, colourful, dark. The Moon grinds its teeth till they bleed and the Sun is laughing hysterically.
    Now for Special A... *shudder*
    Post edited by ... on
  • The only ones that interest me are Macross Frontier and Golgo 13
  • • Toshokan Sensou - Library War airs on the Noitamina block, which hasn't let me down yet. It's based on a novel and the character designs are good, so I have hope for this one.

• Chi`s Sweet Home - They are only three minutes long and pretty cute. I watched some of the raws and went awwwww. Aido describes the manga as "Yotsuba as a cat"

• Druaga no To: the Aegis of Uruk - High budget fantasy anime. May be worth a shot.

• Masuda Kousuke Gekijou Gag Manga Biyori 3 - No need for explanation.

• Kamen no Maid Guy - I'm morbidly curious about this one. I have no idea what it is about except that it has a muscled man in a robot mask wearing a maid uniform. Hilarity ensues?

• Junjou Romantica - *teakettling* YAOIOMGYAOI! KYAAA! ..................um. no. Maybe if you give them guns machetes and put them in a post apocalyptic setting. And make everything less pink.
  • Masuda Kousuke Gekijou Gag Manga Biyori 3
    We're done here.
    edited April 2008
    • Toshokan Sensou - Library War airs on the Noitamina block, which hasn't let me down yet. It's based on a novel and the character designs are good, so I have hope for this one.
    It does seem interesting yes. Ah, I do not have it in the list of stuff I'm gonna try, whilst it is in the try list. Blubber, I should prepare something like this a bit more instead of going on a whim.
    • Masuda Kousuke Gekijou Gag Manga Biyori 3 - No need for explanation.
    Meh, watched the first season, a bit toooooo over the top for me. I agree with Scrym that one chuckles throughout each episode, but nothing amazing imho. Needs a group of people.
    • Kamen no Maid Guy - I'm morbidly curious about this one. I have no idea what it is about except that it has a muscled man in a robot mask wearing a maid uniform. Hilarity ensues?
    My thoughts exactly! It looks crazy.
    • Junjou Romantica - *teakettling* YAOIOMGYAOI! KYAAA! ..................um. no. Maybe if you give them guns machetes and put them in a post apocalyptic setting. And make everything less pink.
    Whahahahaa, great comment. Eh, when I set the line of only putting TV series in the list I bumped into that one. Bugger. So I put it in for those few girls (any guys here who might like it?) that might like it.

Anyways, Special A - Story revolves around the SA, or Special A, class of some school. The class consists out of the 7 best students of the school, they have their own uniform, can attend classes if they want and have a huge building all for themselves. Story follows the number 2 of the school, Hikari, who gets beat in everything by the number one, Kei. I.e. crazy challenges in which Hikari attempts to defeat Kei, with Kei always winning by some crazy Deus Ex kinda trick. The characters are decent, the other 5 characters are fun, the fifth student, a sloppy guy is fun. I seem to be giving out lots of points for comedic parts which pretty much seem to compensate enough for an anime to not be considered crap. Once again I will watch episode 2 for the comedy aspect if I've got nothing else to watch, but you'll have to decide for yourself if you like it. Now we're back to waiting.

EDIT:
    The only ones that interest me are Macross Frontier
    Isn't Macross Frontier from the Winter '07/'08 season?
    Post edited by ... on
  • • Junjou Romantica - *teakettling* YAOIOMGYAOI! KYAAA! ..................um. no. Maybe if you give them guns machetes and put them in a post apocalyptic setting. And make everything less pink.
    I'm actually looking forward to that one.
  • *flings a soda can at your head* Not yet.

I'm slightly tempted at just grabbing one of the finished fansubs. *sigh*
    *dodge* Whatever, make a thread when you're done, I wanna discuss. :)
  • edited April 2008
    Kanokon - Good for a club maybe but ewww. Do not want. School girls and fanservicey bits. I have no idea where this story is going. This type of anime isn't my type at all. That whole "try to be different thingy" they put in is that the main girl is a fox spirit. Then merges with him and he's a fox boy with her inside. The main character male pisses me off. I hate whimpy male characters.

Disposable anime IMO. A group of people could find a good laugh out of it. Really this should be a hentai the way it was in the first ep. Seriously, I'm not being a perv by saying that.

Excuse me, I'm going to watch something good to clean myself.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • Disposable anime IMO. A group of people could find a good laugh out of it. Really this should be a hentai the way it was in the first ep. Seriously, I'm not being a perv by saying that.
    Yeah, that show really was a sex scene away from being a hentai.
  • Isn't Macross Frontier from the Winter '07/'08 season?
    No. The First episode was broadcast early to tease the fans. However, the series is currently running and began it's regular schedule on April 3rd.
  • Looking through, here are some that caught my interest

RD Sennou Chousashitsu - By the ghost in the Shell creators
    Crystal Blaze - Mystery? Character Designs are nice.
    kure-nai - Guy taking care of a little girl? I don't know anything about it but I like the art.
    Himitsu ~Top Secret~ The Revelation - Another police type one.
    Toshokan Sensou - Library war! Most looking forward to.
    The Tower of Druaga ~the Aegis of URUK~ - Gonzo fantasy. Give it a go.
    Macross FRONTIER - Macross. Yup.
    Allison to Lillia - Old fashioned airplanes and a group of kids going on an adventure to find a way to end the endless war.
    Nabari no Ou - might be cool

Kyouran Kazoku Nikki - Lion?
    Kamen no Maid Guy - The Masked Maid guy?
    Petite Eva - chibi evangelion.

Go investigate the links
  • Go investigate the links
    OMG! Thanks for that site Emily. Makes it all a ton easier. Hmmm, promo for Blade the Immortal. Soooooo confusing. So it's for the Summer season. That fansub wiki could be so much better if it also had info on all the fansub groups and their work.
    RD Sennou Chousashitsu - By the ghost in the Shell creators
    Kyouran Kazoku Nikki - Lion?
    Kamen no Maid Guy - The Masked Maid guy?
    Stop having the same reactions as me! It's scary.
  • edited April 2008
    I see neither a Go Nagai nor a Tezuka influence in any of those shows. I am sorry but they spoiled me. I will rely to the forgotten treasure of yore. It has being a long time since I watch Future Boy Conan and Heidi :P
    The only savage thing is Macross Frontier, but then again I just saw a loli character. Macross you are breaking my heart.
    something tells me she will be more annoying than Min Mei :(

Also, I am a bitter young man. But it is the fault of the Japanese fandom.
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • Aside from several of the others that have already been mentioned here, I'm tentatively interested in seeing at least the first episode of Wagaya no Oinara-sama. The original novels it's based on won a gold prize in the same novel competition that the Spice and Wolf novels won a silver prize in. The character designs for the male and female aspects of the kitsune are pretty nice, too. However, it does look like it's in a genre I like a bit less than Spice and Wolf's medieval fantasy (WnO is a supernatural modern comedy)... and it's from the director of Love Hina and Sky Girls *shudder*. So I guess we'll see how this turns out.
  • Allison and Lillia is out. The SHS-FoSu release is good (quality wise, it's SHS for gods sake :p), haven't checked any of the other fansubs that have been released. (Same goes for previous mumbled about anime, just grabbed the first fansub.) Now... I think I should start talking about my first impressions. First generic setting stuff, year 3000something, WWI/post-WWI age, circular landmass perfectly divided in half for 2 countries. That about sums that up. Now the good useful stuff.

I like the art. Though anything that looks pretty and beyond my capabilities makes me go "ooooooh" and "aaaaah", but this is very good, just like Soul Eater, also great art. The character designs thus far are meh, with the exception of Allison, I'm a sucker for adventurous girls and straight long hair, adding the two together... T_T The characters, personality wise, are good. The main characters of the first episode, Will and Allison, are both very likable characters thus far imho.

The story... First episode, not much to say.
    Allison to Lillia - Old fashioned airplanes and a group of kids going on an adventure to find a way to end the endless war.
    Yup, a war has been going for ages between the two countries, the east country (where the first episode takes place) and the west country. The war is still going on, but a truce has been going for 10 years already as the anime starts. Will and Allison hear a story about a great treasure that will be able to end the war. MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR EPISODE ONE, but I don't care. You should go watch it as the animation is good, the action is good and the characters are great. The story we will learn more about.

And whilst browsing through ANN for some info whilst pondering on how to write out something decent-looking and suggestive as to get you, the reader, to watch this anime, I bumped into this little tidbit of awesome information:
    The original novels were written by the creator of Kino's Journey. Now go watch.
    I LOVE Kino no Tabi! Now go watch.

Also, I'll try Kure-nai. I didn't really know what to expect from it since I had no info on it, but after reading ANN's Spring preview stuff and seeing all the high ratings for this show... yeah I'll watch it.
    Allison to Lillia, Amatsuki, Blassreiter, Crystal Blaze, Druaga no To: the Aegis of Uruk, Himitsu: The Revelation, Itazura na Kiss, Kamen no Maid Guy, Monochrome Factor, Nabari no Ou, Real Drive, Soul Eater, Special A, Vampire Knight, Wagaya no Oinari-sama and Catman.
    GAH! Not even halfway.
  • I just watched Druaga and really disliked it, spoiler when, as far as I could tell, most of the entire first episode was a dream the main character had. Had some funny parts, but not enough to keep me coming back.

Soul Eater was amazing, really, really fluid battles and animation in general and the voice acting, although strange at first, instantly grows on you. It's also hilarious and nothing but fun to watch.
    edited April 2008
    most of the entire first episode was a dream the main character had.
    True, it is an bastard thing to do. But you have to agree that the making fun of tentacle hentai scene was hilarious. "Not yet! *droool*"

EDIT! More new fansubs...

Kamen no Maid Guy - . . . What the fuck? Okay, redeeming qualities... ehm, Kogarashi, Maid Guy, is a demon wearing an apron and a reflective mask? The rest is pretty much fanservice, just look at the title of the second episode: "The Expert on Beloved Huge Breasts". The jokes are all pretty much Kogarashi sexual harassing the main female character, Naeke. The other mainish characters are the little brother, the grandfather and a female maid, Fubuki, who is basically an angel sent out to keep Kogarashi down, to the point of nearly killing him. Though even she becomes an annoying character when she too gets used in the sexual jokes. Blowing a wistle, yeah right. Screw spoilers, this show is not worth it.

More blabla text to make sure you stay the hell away: The first fansub out there uses an uncensored raw, so yeah, that pretty much tells all one needs to know about this series. Do not want. Also, the first fansubbers fucked up the first ep mkv. They forgot to include the typesetting font with the package, thus the mediaplayer has to pick a system font. Which in my case is horribly unreadable. I don't even think they're Latin letters! I repeat,
    DO NOT WANT! DO NOT WATCH!

Wagaya no Oinari-sama - Shrines, spirits, supernatural. Stock male leads, demon granny, guardian priestess and a fox spirit, there's an uncle and a demon spirit in there, but neither have much to do with the story other than introducing the series to the watcher, though the same goes for the granny, but she's not bad. From what I can gather from the episode alone, I can say that this anime will heavily rely on the use of a lot of Japanese mythology and ancient stuff, Ki, 5 elements, etc. The title character is kinda meh, during combat serious and watchable, during dinner, gah. I hate characters who have a black hole as a stomach and love everything their tongue touches (take that however you want). I found the anime to be watchable untill the first fight was over. The fox spirit becomes this less than enjoyable character, I hate the kind of personality she portrays at the end of the episode. And of course once the serious parts are over some minor fanservice is put in. Probably to be able and fall back upon that if the story stalls.

The novel might've won over the Spice and Wolf novel, but thus far the anime will not. And Spice and Wolf was pretty boring (interesting yes, not amazing).
    Post edited by ... on
  • I was wrong before, everyone have to watch the new Golgo 13.
  • Kurenai - It is indeed good. Very good. I don't have much to say other than that it looks very good and very promising. If you want more information, just check the (p)reviews from ANN, but you'll basically get the same final note. Go watch it.

Definite watch:
    Allison to Lillia
    Soul Eater
    Kurenai

Decent:
    Druaga no To: the Aegis of Uruk

Meh:
    Blassreiter
    Itazura na Kiss
    Special A
    Vampire Knight

DO NOT WATCH:
    Kamen no Maid Guy

Left to check out:
    Amatsuki, Catman, Crystal Blaze, Golgo 13, Himitsu: The Revelation, Monochrome Factor, Nabari no Ou, Nijuu-Mensou no Musume, Real Drive, Toshokan Sensou.

Seems to be a very good, albeit busy, season. And this time I will not laze about and miss the good stuff. Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann.
  • Can anyone get the HD version of Kurenai to play? My media PC seems to cry every time I try to watch it, I'm very confused. I've watch many 720p anime on it before, this is the first one that gives it trouble. I'm using the CCCP codec pack and Haalis Video render for upscaling.