This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

In search of beta Geeknights...

edited April 2008 in Everything Else
Due to spring break, I have found myself with more free time than usual. So I have been looking for the elusive beta podcasts that Rym and Scott released a month prior to podcasting for real. While my only real reason for this search is curiosity, I was wondering if anyone wanted to help out. Few is known about these episodes, but I will list the facts.

- Recording took place roughly a month before the first episode of Geeknights in the FRC archive. (Early October 2005?)
- Rym has stated on numerous occasions that if you "know how the internet works" then they are easy enough to find.
- The episodes exist on a forum that predated the FRC forums.
"Well, only the super super cool people know where to look. You know, those other forums that pre-dated the FRC one here, where we play Dungeons and Dragons... ;^)" - Rym

Hopefully I can find these and sate my curiosity.
Any Ideas?

Comments

• edited April 2008
    I think Rym mentioned that forum as being an internal board for FRC people so I doubt that, even if the url is found, it can be viewed without a login. I also don't think that they would be on Libsyn, since they probably pre-date them using it, so the best bet is probably to search the frontrowcrew.com server.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • A fun close call. Ogg link is dead, though. :) Too bad.
  • That's just Scott's audioblog, it came before their beta episodes I think, its been dead ever since he revamped his wordpress.
  • That's just Scott's audioblog, it came before their beta episodes I think, its been dead ever since he revamped his wordpress.
    I will fix it.
  • Yea found the audio blog way back in my own attempts to find the "beta release". I posted this line of thought myself on the forums long ago (link here).
  • Maybe Scott or Rym could just come right out and give us a clue, maybe?
  • edited April 2008
    Do you want their experimental feed?
    Post edited by Zeehat on
  • That's linked to on the front page of the site.
    Ya, I didn't know if you were dumb or not.
    Ya, I didn't know if you were dumb or not.
    Nah, I'm looking for the 11 or so episodes that they made to test before they released Geeknights to the public at large.
  • Heh. I found a critique of an article Rym wrote at RIT that made a connection to Oingo Boingo.
  • Here's the only hint I will give you. You can't find them with Google. You must find them some other way.
  • Perhaps futzing with the URL?
  • edited April 2008
    Is there something that could map the entire frontrowcrew domain? Maybe a SiteMap of some sort, or a crawler? I dunno, I'm not very knowledgeable on this specific task.
    Post edited by Vhdblood on
  • As there is no robots.txt file, a Google search with "site:www.frontrowcrew.com" should find everything on this domain (unless it isn't linked to). I was trying to follow up on the "old forum" clue. I checked the RIT Anime Club forum, but I didn't see any pre-2007 posts.
  • "You know, those other forums that pre-dated the FRC one here, where we play Dungeons and Dragons... ;^)" <- This here is probably the biggest clue we have to go on.
  • As there is no robots.txt file, a Google search with "site:www.frontrowcrew.com" should find everything on this domain (unless it isn't linked to).
    Not if a regular guest doesn't have access too it. Remember: the Googlebot only has the same access we do.
  • Well, anyone got any other ideas? Scott, can we have another hint? I mean, are we on a wild goose chase? If there's no way to get to the episodes without a username/password, then that ruins the whole thing.

Also, has Scott ever said there are on the actual Frontrowcrew domain? Maybe they are on a different website?
  • to get to the episodes without a username/password, then that ruins the whole thing.
    Why would that ruin the whole thing?
  • There are "hidden" areas of the site I've found. However they've all been dead ends from what I can tell. They've just contained some odeo caller files, couple of the first released podcasts and some promos for the show. It used to be more open, but they've closed down some index pages which used to make it easier to poke around.
  • Here's the only hint I will give you. You can't find them with Google. You must find them some other way.
    Why do I suddenly feel like I'm in a crappy RPG.
    *cue generic 8bit Zelda/Final Fantasy-esque music*
    Geeknights RPG: The Quest of The Lost Episodes!
    Although I suppose this would technically be a Muhmorpegur
  • edited April 2008

Geeknights RPG: The Quest of The Lost Episodes!
    Can we use our stats from this?
    Post edited by Viga on
  • I wish I could just type dir.
  • I wish I could just type ls.
    Anyway, they're not in any simple place like /~apreche/, /~rym/, /beta/ or /geeknightsbeta/.
    And if we won't find them with Google, taht means they're likely not linked to from anywhere.
  • I wish I could just typels.
    Dir is a perfectly valid command in MS-DOS.

I wonder if there's a program that could brute force the website with every possible url and then list out every mp3 file it hits.
  • Perhaps they are held on some random machine in the Geekhaus, which can only be discovered through an elaborate code system within certain episodes that must be deciphered.
  • Rym doesn't seem that sinister. And Scott wouldn't put forth the effort to come up with such an elaborate system.
    Besides, they said it was easy to find.
  • I wish I could just typels.
    Dir is a perfectly valid command in MS-DOS.

I wonder if there's a program that could brute force the website with every possible url and then list out every mp3 file it hits.
    Yes, but these servers are running Ubuntu.
    And think about how hard it is to brute-force passwords, Sonic. The combination of every directory, sub-directory, sub-sub-directory alone is, for all intents and purposes, infinite.
  • edited April 2008
    What's wrong with dir on a UNIX prompt? It's easier to remember and sounds more like what it actually does. What do I get with ls? Pretty colors?

Post edited by Sail on
  • Yeah, well I doubt its THAT well hidden. I was just throwing an idea up there. At any rate, a more targeted search would be better. I'm gonna try something and I'll be back if anything turns up.