This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

FRC Video Coming Soon...

edited April 2008 in GeekNights
I switched credit cards, and thus decided to spend all my Sony points from my old card. So I went to best buy and got the cheapest hard-drive based Sony video camera. YouTube ho!

Comments

• Having a video camera available whenever you want is both a liberating and terrible thing. Have fun.
  • Oh man, this is either going to be pure awesomeness, utter hilarity, or an epic failure. I'm hoping for the first two.
  • Cool. I hope something shows up in the Experimental feed from this.
  • Just put some clothes on before you start recording.
    Some people would say the opposite. ^_~ However, I look forward to some of the videos they will post.
    Some people would say the opposite. ^_~ However, I look forward to some of the videos they will post.
    NO! Those people are by these kindly requested to keep silent concerning this topic.
    Oh man, this is either going to be pure awesomeness, utter hilarity, or an epic failure. I'm hoping for the first two.
    I hope for a properly balanced mix of all three actually. Note, epic failure weighs heavy so very little is needed.
  • Ro, I am going to agree with Omnutia and myself. Considering what we've heard about in what state of dress they record the podcast, I also think it better if we ask they put their clothes back on.

I won't require it, but I request it. ;-)
  • Ro, I am going to agree with Omnutia and myself. Considering what we've heard about in what state of dress they record the podcast, I also think it better if we ask they put their clothes back on.
    I won't require it, but I request it. ;-)
    I never said I was one of those people, did I? I merely stated that there probably are some fans that would like that.

I'll go ahead and state for the record, I request fully clothed Scrym as well.
  • FRC videos FUCK YEA!
  • I'm am so looking forward to editing any videos that come down the pike. Picture Rym and Scott singing "Never gonna give you up".
  • I'm thinking more along the lines of video supplementals for board game strategies and how to's.
  • I'm thinking more along the lines of video supplementals for board game strategies and how to's.
    And examples of what a good RPG session is, and what a bad one is.
    NO! Those people are by these kindly requested to keep silent concerning this topic.
    All of that made me laugh so hard!
    FRC videos FUCK YEA!
    Fuck DOUBLE YEAH

Whatever you guys do with it, I can't wait to see it! ^_^
  • edited April 2008
    Hmm... maybe this is the start of FRC TV? Anime/gaming reviews in a cnettv.com style.
    Post edited by Norvu on
  • Sweet, I can't wait to see this! You guys should pull a "Freeze" for your first episode, just because everyone is doing it now.
  • Oh man, this is either going to be pure awesomeness, utter hilarity, or an epic failure. I'm hoping for the first two.
    The first two would be great, but the last two can also be fun. ^_^ So as long as something funny is said, or someone falls down I will love it.
  • edited April 2008
    I'm am so looking forward to editing any videos that come down the pike. Picture Rym and Scott singing "Never gonna give you up".
    Youtube has done this, Mahalo has done this, and scores more. Please, I beg of you, LET THIS DIE! I'm not the only one begging, either.
    Post edited by Diagoras on
  • edited April 2008
    Post edited by Viga on
  • All I can wonder is: will there be more gay moments or less? *raises eyebrow*
  • Well, we've begun. The last of the equipment has been purchased, and we've recorded our first serious foray into the realm of video.
  • There was a recording session yesterday. Now do you have respect for Emily's Skills? Do you? Now you see. It's harder than it looks, isn't it?
  • There was a recording session yesterday. Now do you have respect for Emily's Skills? Do you? Now you see. It's harder than it looks, isn't it?
    Yes, making video is super hard. Much harder than I thought. I think a lot of the difficult comes because we refuse to make crap. It would be really easy if we didn't care about it being high quality.

I also learned that John Stewarts job is super hard. Looking good when a camera is pointed at you is just as hard as pointing the camera.
  • edited April 2008
    Looking good when a camera is pointed at you is just as hard as pointing the camera.
    I say harder. I feel a lot better behind a camera than in front of one. I get all shy and antsy.
    Post edited by gomidog on
  • Seeing you on video only makes me miss you guys more.
  • Well, we've begun. The last of the equipment has been purchased, and we've recorded our first serious foray into the realm of video.
    Is this something we will get to see or just a test/beta?
  • Wow I'm so looking forward to this! Could you just record a regular podcasting session and post the full thing unedited? Just for the lols?
  • edited April 2008
    So I'm investigating the situation some more. I've pretty much narrowed it down to two choices.

Buy a Mac Pro and get Final Cut Express.
    Build a PC and get Premiere Elements.

I'll buy Final Cut Pro/Studio or an Adobe Suite in the distant future if we decide that we need it to go to the next level.

Are there any other video editing programs that compete on the same level as Final Cut Express and Premiere Elements? What are the significant differences between these two programs that would make me choose one or the other? Research I have done with the Internets seems to swing equally in both directions.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited April 2008
    The guys who made Ryan vs Dorkman (Jedi fight) use Final Cut Pro with a macbook pro. I'm generally knee-jerk anti-apple for some vague reason that I don't even know, but for video editing I don't think there is much denying it is a great piece of software. They used Abode After Effects for the 'purty', but you probably won't be doing much in the way of that (I presume).

After search the net for a while I have heard some really good things about Avid. One person even uses it despite having used Premier and FCP:
    I think Adobe Premiere is a great way to lern to edit because it is very easy to learn and affordable. In premiere you don't have to worry too much about the technical stuff. I used to love this software because it was simple but as I got more advanced in editing I found that it slowed me down. For me Premiere was just a stepping stone. I don't think anyone uses Premiere in the industry, it's more for the classroom or for wedding videos.

FCP is a very good editing tool and I have used this quite a bit and I still do sometimes. Unfortunately I can't say too many good things about FCP because I'm just so used to using Avid. FCP compared to Avid is like Honda versus a Ferrari. The problem I face with FCP among other things, is that it runs only on Macs and as everyone knows Macs are fairly expensive. With the integration of Intel chips in Macs things might change, in the mean time I'll stick to avid.

Avid used to be my least favourite editing software because it is just so different from other editing packages and you have to be very technical to learn to use an Avid system, but over time I have come to love it. Avid comes in all price ranges because there are so many different types of Avid systems (Avid Xpress, Xpress HD, Adrenaline, DS etc.) Some you can run on a regular PC others you need special hardware. The thing I like about Avid is that the effects are real-time, meaning when I apply a transition or something I don't have to wait for it to render to see the effect; I can see it right away. I also like it because of it's color correcting capabalities, it's integration with ProTools and the ability to customize everything. One thing I don't like about Avid is the way it handles media files. It dumps all media (audio/video) into one OMFI directory. Which becomes almost impossible to backup or manage manually.
    Only problem with Avid (Avid Xpress Pro specifically) is that it costs... a lot.

Here is a random article comparing Avid vs FCP.
    Post edited by Norvu on
  • He doesn't need Avid. Don't put those ideas into his head. Final Cut should be more than enough.
  • He doesn't need Avid. Don't put those ideas into his head. Final Cut should be more than enough.
    Oh noes, teh ideas! I'm thinking not going to go with Avid. If I'm going to spend that kind of money, I'd just get the Adobe Production Suite.