This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Scott's Box

edited April 2008 in Manga/Comics
People seem to like Scott's box, but what should the format be?

Comments

• I think both one and two would be interesting...Tell us some of the stuff you pre-ordered and then next month when it comes, review it. I think you should concentrate more on the reviews, though. It would be nice to hear what's coming up.
  • Cut the time spent explaining each comic, and do both one word reviews and one sentence previews in the same monthly segment.
  • I think both one and two would be interesting...Tell us some of the stuff you pre-ordered and then next month when it comes, review it. I think you should concentrate more on the reviews, though. It would be nice to hear what's coming up.
    What she said. I still have to read "Watchmen" and finish "Dark Knight Returns". After that I'm reading "Amulet", but after that I've got nothing. It's good to hear what you have coming soon so I can check it out at local comic store to get an idea. After you review it I can decide whether to purchase it or not.
  • Cut the time spent explaining each comic, and do both one word reviews and one sentence previews in the same monthly segment.
    One word reviews? Like "sucked", "awesome", "fail", or "win"?
  • edited April 2008
    Cut the time spent explaining each comic, and do both one word reviews and one sentence previews in the same monthly segment.
    "Yes."

That way, you'll have time to do both while keeping the segment fairly short.
    Post edited by J.Sharp on
    I wouldn't say one word reviews, but very short what you think about the stuff you've ordered or why you've ordered it, can be done in a sentence, then as for the stuff that has arrived, you could talk about if it seems to meet your expectations, or if it's better or worse than you expected. Don't bother with too much side information, name the writer and artist perhaps and move on, nothing of that "It's the only work I do not yet have of person x" stuff. That's stuff for the episode about the work.
  • That way, you'll have time to do both while keeping the segment fairly short.
    I forget, is this a once a month thing or weekly thing? If it's once a month, I don't mind Scott spending over 5 minutes on it, however if it's weekly thing a few minutes would be fine.
  • edited April 2008
    I just realized I can't see the results of my own poll without voting.
    I forget, is this a once a month thing or weekly thing? If it's once a month, I don't mind Scott spending over 5 minutes on it, however if it's weekly thing a few minutes would be fine.
    It will be monthly.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • edited April 2008
    I'll echo Emily and Ro for this one - both previews and reviews, and since it's a monthly thing, it's fine to be pretty long.
    Post edited by lackofcheese on
  • Are you guys sure you want both? There's going to be lots of redundancy when I say I ordered a book, then two months later I say I got it.
  • As long as you give us some decent info on it along with saying you got it, it doesn't matter.

The previews are there just to induce the "Oh mans, blah blah blah" factor; the reviews are there to give at least some useful info.
  • I just realized i can't see the results of my own poll without voting.
    You can just hit Vote without selecting an option. That's what I did with the Barack Obama poll so that I could watch the results without inputting lies.
    Are you guys sure you want both? There's going to be lots of redundancy when I say I ordered a book, then two months later I say I got it.
    Eh yeah, you shouldn't do it like that. Just tell why you ordered that manga/comic/whatever, and then once it arrives reflect upon it, if it's worth the purchase and some more preview stuff about the actual work. The longest part should be the part about the stuff that has arrived.
  • I think both things to come in brief then have Scott put all the good ones back into a box and quickly go over them.
    It'd be nice to hear what new pieces of media you have been consuming (in relation to the days episode) and what you think of them.
  • If it's monthly, it's fine to spend several minutes on this segment. As for what to talk about, I agree with Nineless: A rather short preview when you order it, with a longer section for the actual reviews sounds like the best option.
  • Reviews and previews would be great.
  • Both preview and review.
  • Actually Scott, I thought the format, length, and content of the first "Scott's Box" was dead on. I wouldn't change a thing. The second "Box" episode featuring the items to come was less useful as a newer fan of comics. I like the format of a "Buyer's Guide" rather than a series of previews.
  • edited April 2008
    Previews and Reviews.

Plus, you don't even need to do them both in one episode. I mean, you have an entire month to turn in the spreadsheet, so you could still give us previews with plenty of time to make up our minds if you just do the preview episode the week after you get your box and do a review episode.

Or if previews only wins, then I'd be all for the segment going over 5 minutes, especially since it's only once a month.
    Post edited by Dkong on
  • The problem with previews without proper reviews later is that you could be very very wrong. As with FFCC:RoF. Unless you're limiting it to just "here is what this comic is supposed to be about" but that's boring and I can look that up anywhere.

I don't really want to hear about everything you're preordering each month. Maybe if it's something especially awesome that you're excited for, but not every single thing. If you have to choose between the two then Reviews all the way. If you do both then keep the Previews really short.
  • I'm down with a mini-review, it's like a Geek-Byte but smaller. I don't like the idea of "one word reviews". I can make those up by looking at the covers, I don't need Scott to tell me a comic is "Shit" or "Badass". Maybe like an oral paragraph-summary. That'd be awesome. Should I bother with this comic, why, why not, what's cool, should I care about the names or anything else the artist/writer makes in the future? End.

It'd be better than "Yeah I got this Green Lantern comic. It sucked," or "This Watchmen comic I recently read was totally fucking cool." That information is worthless to me unless I know why.
  • I firmly believe in doing the segment on the shipments that arrive in the mail. I think that it would be a better way to inform people of interesting comics and graphic novels. I actually visited my local comic book store and spied a copy of Mouse Guard last week. My roommate bought the Watchmen and Bone trades recently on recommendations from Geeknights. You should keep doing Scott's box at least for us comic fans.
  • I voted on reviewing things that have already come in, but mostly because I would like to hear non-biased reviews on whatever good is out there. I've never been the kind of person who could just jump in to the comic shop and read whatever, and when you have to budget your monies it helps to have someone else's opinion to go on.
  • non-biased reviews
    Isn't that a contradiction in terms? I mean, a serious review should have some bias: The reviews opinions...
  • non-biased reviews
    Isn't that a contradiction in terms? I mean, a serious review should have some bias: The reviews opinions...
    Anecdotal facts are not biased. It's only biased when things that aren't related are considered.