This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

This is why paying REAL money in an online game is STUPID.

Comments

• Can anyone copy and paste the article here? It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. ^_^
    edited April 2008
    Can anyone copy and paste the article here? It would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. ^_^
    People are whining because they payed real money for stuff in EA-land, which is apparently The Sims Online rebranded. And a few quotes from people whining.

Anyways, on topic. Paying real money for stuff in games is stupid. If you cannot enjoy the game without buying for more things after you bought the game you are either shallow or the game is horrible.
    Post edited by ... on
  • edited April 2008
    Anyways, on topic. Paying real money for stuff in games is stupid. If you cannot enjoy the game without buying for more things after you bought the game you are either shallow or the game is horrible.
    That's a pretty bad generalization right there.
    I agree with micro-payments for random crap like new colors for a car, horse-armor or stuff that's already in the game but has to be unlocked buy paying for it, but there is valuable additional content for some games out there. New levels and game modes, map packs, new songs for Rock Band or Guitar Hero. It is really dependent of how much you personally value the content you can buy.
    However, downloadable content and buying it does not mean that the game is bad or the person who buys it is shallow.
    Post edited by chaosof99 on
  • However, downloadable content and buying it does not mean that the game is bad or the person who buys it is shallow.
    Sorry, but you need to read my post again. I said if you can't enjoy the game WITHOUT buying extra stuff you are shallow. I did not say that if you buy any of the stuff you are shallow, only if you buy it if you do not enjoy it otherwise. And what I said is somewhat of a generalization yes, but it's not a bad one and goes for most games out there. In the case of Rock Band and Guitar Hero I can understand why you have to pay money to get the downloadable content, licensing songs costs money. I haven't played either of those games so I didn't think about them. So to anyone reading my previous post, that goes for all games where there is no reasonable reason for the content to be available only after payment.
  • I think the problem here is that in one case, you get a non transferable thing that can only be accessed through, or is useful on the server only (like clothes and furniture in the Sims, or weapons on WoW and the like.) on the other side there is content you download and get to keep on a physical unit and can be accessed offline (like songs in guitar hero and rock band).
  • Well, the problem as I see it, is that buying something, unless it is to make the game easier. Doesn't make the game any more entertaining. You will never reach a point where you feel you have got your moneys worth and the thing you paid for going away doesn't seem like such a big deal as it was never worth it in the first place.
    Does anyone else find it somewhat alarming that a game costs £30 and up yet studio's feel they need to turn to selling and advertising in game to make money?