This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Do you believe in the supernatural?

GeoGeo
edited April 2008 in Flamewars
I'm really surprised no one has posted a thread about this, but I guess I'm the first.

If you believe in anything that has to do with the supernatural at all(this question doesn't apply to you scientists out there), which things do you find either the most interesting or most likely to exist?

I believe in the possibility that a Bigfoot exists somewhere. On that note I believe in most things of a cryptozoological nature (unless of course it sounds too good to be true). I kinda believe in the Loch Ness Monster, but not really. I also believe that Atlantis, Mu, Lemuria, etc probably exists somewhere out in our world.

Comments

• Gotta label it Flamewars if you're going to kick the beehive. :) Good luck, though.
  • edited April 2008
    This should be posted in Sarcastic Haiku, but I've decided to put it here:

This thread hurts my head.
    Please stop lordyupa. Please stop
    making dumbass threads.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • Big Foot and the Yeti most likely exist in some form and the Loch Ness Monster doesn't as they actually drained Loch Ness and found nothing. When you put supernatural in the title, I was expecting something about ghosts or other things like that rather than urban legends.
  • RymRym
    edited April 2008
    I kinda believe in the Loch Ness Monster
    Patently disproven.
    I also believe that Atlantis, Mu, Lemuria, etc probably exists somewhere out in our world.
    Zero real evidence, not to mention counter-evidence regarding the anecdotal evidence.
    I believe in the possibility thataBigfoot exists somewhere.
    Not bloody likely.
    On that note I believe in most things of a cryptozoological nature
    Cryptozoology as a field of study has been almost entirely discredited as pseudoscience bullshit.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Big Foot and the Yeti most likely exist in some form
    No one has ever found any evidence, and there's very little territory on the planet that has not been explored.
    hey actually drained Loch Ness and found nothing
    Source?
  • hey actually drained Loch Ness and found nothing
    Source?
    Didn't say that. :P Regardless, at one time in my younger years during the "Unsolved Mysteries" days, I actually believed it could be real. Some common sense and science kicked in and pretty much agrees with what Rym says. ^_^
  • Double up on that "Drained Loch Ness" source.

Atlantis and such are probably based on Mediterranean city states that used to exist but were destroyed. Well that and old merchant stories.

"Agrepa, where are you off to this time?"
    "Oh me? I'm going to Azkabagahad."
    "Azgabaga-who?"
    "You know, Azkabagahad. It's a city over beyond the horizon. They have lots of cool things for a merchant like me to buy and sell."
    "O Rly?"
    "Yes. Long journey though... But, I could cut you in on the profits if you agree to help fund my perilous journey."

"Honey, where did all of our money go?"
    "Oh, I bought in on a merchant caravan to a distant city..."

"He gave me 400 gold coins! Let's go party!"
    "Next town we go to, let's tell them the city is called Atlantis!"
  • Not anymore. When I was a kid, I believed in everything under the sun. Now that I'm in college, I have to kick myself so that I don't laugh at my classmates. I have never understood why there are so many stupid Texans, but sadly, they exist.
  • When young, the dangers are magical thinking and gullibility. When old, the dangers are pseudoskepticism and pseudoscience.
  • I do believe you've made a fuck lot of threads recently.
  • I think it would be brash to assume that there's nothing in this life beyond human comprehension. If that counts than the answer is: "yes", I suppose.
  • When young, the dangers are magical thinking and gullibility. When old, the dangers are pseudoskepticism and pseudoscience.
    What's pseudoskepticism?
  • I'm open the the possibility of ghost, but I haven't seen one. The only living things we don't know about live deep in the ocean.
  • edited April 2008
    What's pseudoskepticism?
    Remember that guy from that other podcast that SGU had on? That guy was pseudoskeptical.

[Edit] This episode.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • jccjcc
    edited April 2008
    When young, the dangers are magical thinking and gullibility. When old, the dangers are pseudoskepticism and pseudoscience.
    What's pseudoskepticism?
    This is what Wikipedia has to say about it. Talk page if you want the bickering. :)
    Post edited by jcc on
  • Oh, and jcc:

magical thinking and gullibility == pseudoskepticism and pseudoscience
  • If it was real, it would be natural, not supernatural. Anything that is supernatural is by definition, false.
  • Oh, and jcc:

magical thinking and gullibility == pseudoskepticism and pseudoscience
    Source and elaboration?
  • Source and elaboration?
    Are you kidding me?
  • I'm open to the possibility of supernatural occurrences. However, every supernatural claim that I can think of has been patently disproven by scientific testing. Even if there are questions left, there has always been a rational, natural explanation. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. If magic exists, there better goddamn well be some level 20 wizards casting Meteor Swarm.

If you can bring me evidence, I'll consider it. If there's no evidence for an occurrence, then it could literally be anything, or it could be nothing.
  • Source and elaboration?
    Are you kidding me?
    No.

Maybe I like it when I see your name up there in the Top 10? :P
  • edited April 2008
    I wish things like this could be real. If it was the world would be less boring. wouldn't mind having a ghost in my house or a magical creature as a best friend.

As I got older and learned more I knew all of those things are just fake and those who still believe them are usually dumb. The belief supposedly makes good sci fi channel series. Emphasis on supposedly.

Sigh, but I wouldn't mind being a ghost. Sounds cool.
    Post edited by Viga on
  • In what way is something like homeopathy not like magical thinking? In what way is believing in pseudoscience not gullibility? Do you really believe that things like this are based in reality at all? I wasn't trying to attack you with that statement, I was only pointing out that those dangers aren't different at all. The difference between pseudoscience and magical thinking is the same as the one between creationism and intelligent design. It's the same principles masked with fancy words.
  • In what way is something like homeopathy not like magical thinking? In what way is believing in pseudoscience not gullibility? Do you really believe that things like this are based in reality at all? I wasn't trying to attack you with that statement, I was only pointing out that those dangers aren't different at all. The difference between pseudoscience and magical thinking is the same as the one between creationism and intelligent design. It's the same principles masked with fancy words.
    These are all nice questions to think about, I agree, however they are neither source nor elaboration on your original statement. :P
  • I'mreallysurprised no one has posted a thread about this, but I guess I'm the first.

If you believe in anything that has to do with the supernatural at all(this question doesn't apply to you scientists out there), which things do you find either the most interesting or most likely to exist?

I believe in the possibility thataBigfoot exists somewhere.
    Lolz, so why doesn't this apply to scientists? Is it because it has no evidence, no good proof of its existences? Dude, the stuff you listed are supposed animals and places, that's well within the realms of science.

I like how you leave such a broad opening and say that you believe "in the possibility that a Bigfoot exists somewhere." So broad that it is as if ANY new primate discovery would be enough to confirm your beliefs. The Bigfoot claims aren't whether there is any unknown ape-like creature existing and have yet to be discovered. "Bigfoot" tends to be a very specific claim of a tall and intelligent bipedal ape-like creature. So don't slap on Bigfoot to any discovery of primates and say," Hey, there's Bigfoot! I was right."

This also applies to believing "that Atlantis, Mu, Lemuria, etc probably exists somewhere out in our world."
  • edited April 2008
    These are all nice questions to think about, I agree, however they are neither source nor elaboration on your original statement. :P
    I did elaborate, and I even made an analogy. And, fyi, those questions are not rhetorical. I was asking you.

To spell it out for you even more, if you believe in something(ex: homeopathy) that promises to cure cancer using something that has as familiar properties as water, then you are gullible. That's it. And if you disagree then there is no possible way to argue this further because it only comes down to definition of terms.

[Edit] You know, I'm still a little confused to as why you are challenging my statement the way you are. I didn't make a scientific claim, and therefore can't put a source to it. It's a subjective and opinionated claim on the topic of science, but is not science in itself. If you disagree with me, why don't you just say why?
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I think it would be brash to assume that there's nothing in this life beyond human comprehension. If that counts than the answer is: "yes", I suppose.
    I agree, but what's the point in talking about something we can't comprehend?
  • magical thinking and gullibility == pseudoskepticism and pseudoscience
    Heh. You never said whether that evaluated to true or false.
  • Heh. You never said whether that evaluated to true or false.
    Haha. Booleans.
  • edited April 2008
    This thread hurts my head.
    Please stop lordyupa. Please stop
    making dumbass threads.
    *Applause*
    Post edited by One Sin on